New diesel engine from Subaru...

Old March 19th 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default New diesel engine from Subaru...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124553

2L TDIO, All aluminum block/head, boosted, intercooled, 258 pound-feet
of torque @ 1,800 rpm. Probably a terrible engine for a car. But for
an airplane....

Haven't found the weight yet.

-Matt

Old March 19th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

schreef:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124553

2L TDIO, All aluminum block/head, boosted, intercooled, 258 pound-feet
of torque @ 1,800 rpm. Probably a terrible engine for a car. But for
an airplane....

Haven't found the weight yet.

Not the first I hear about it. As I understand it is a modification of
their petrol boxers so the weight should be comparable. Their petrol
boxers can work well in planes, I entertain great hopes in this diesel!
Especially as there's an able Subaru plane converter nearby.
Old March 19th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Philippe Vessaire

wrote:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124553

2L TDIO, All aluminum block/head, boosted, intercooled, 258 pound-feet
of torque @ 1,800 rpm. Probably a terrible engine for a car. But for
an airplane....

Haven't found the weight yet.

178kg 392lbs
290lbs for one XP360....

But I'm sure many kg may be remove for airplane conversion. You kneed
to add a reduction unit.
Subaru claims this engine is smoother than L4....

By
--
Volem rien foutre al païs!
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬
Old March 19th 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:02:48 +0100, Philippe Vessaire

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124553

2L TDIO, All aluminum block/head, boosted, intercooled, 258 pound-feet
of torque @ 1,800 rpm. Probably a terrible engine for a car. But for
an airplane....

Haven't found the weight yet.

178kg 392lbs
290lbs for one XP360....

But I'm sure many kg may be remove for airplane conversion. You kneed
to add a reduction unit.
Subaru claims this engine is smoother than L4....

By

How big a prop do you want to spin? with 258 torque available at 1800,
assuming a fairly flat power curve you have 135 HP at 2800 RPM. Not
bad for what would likely turn out to be a 300 lb engine stripped for
flight.

Old March 19th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"jan olieslagers" wrote in message
schreef:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124553

2L TDIO, All aluminum block/head, boosted, intercooled, 258 pound-feet
of torque @ 1,800 rpm. Probably a terrible engine for a car. But for
an airplane....

Haven't found the weight yet.

Not the first I hear about it. As I understand it is a modification of
their petrol boxers so the weight should be comparable.

I thought GM had killed the "gas engine converted to a diesel" market.

The typical 10,000 mile (or so) TBO didn't go over well with the public.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old March 19th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

schreef:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124553

2L TDIO, All aluminum block/head, boosted, intercooled, 258 pound-feet
of torque @ 1,800 rpm. Probably a terrible engine for a car. But for
an airplane....

Haven't found the weight yet.

Not the first I hear about it. As I understand it is a modification of
their petrol boxers so the weight should be comparable.

I thought GM had killed the "gas engine converted to a diesel" market.

The typical 10,000 mile (or so) TBO didn't go over well with the public.

I've heard many times about how bad they were, but I still don't know the
actual cause or just what tended to break or wear out. The only specific
that I can personally recall was that the air intake placement made it
possible to injest water on some models. I believe that also heard that
the rings and cylinders had a shorter than normal life, anound 120K miles,
but only heard that from one user. So any further enlightenment is welcome.

Peter

Old March 19th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Philippe Vessaire

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124553

2L TDIO, All aluminum block/head, boosted, intercooled, 258
pound-feet of torque @ 1,800 rpm. Probably a terrible engine for a
car. But for an airplane....

Haven't found the weight yet.

178kg 392lbs

How big a prop do you want to spin? with 258 torque available at 1800,
assuming a fairly flat power curve you have 135 HP at 2800 RPM. Not
bad for what would likely turn out to be a 300 lb engine stripped for
flight.

Realy, I don't know but I don't think you have 135Hp@2800rpm.
150hp@3600rpm in the car...

For TBO: think Thielert....

--
Volem rien foutre al païs!
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬
Old March 19th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Peter Dohm" wrote in message

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk At Wow Way D0t C0m wrote in message

Not the first I hear about it. As I understand it is a modification of
their petrol boxers so the weight should be comparable.

I thought GM had killed the "gas engine converted to a diesel" market.

The typical 10,000 mile (or so) TBO didn't go over well with the public.

I've heard many times about how bad they were, but I still don't know the
actual cause or just what tended to break or wear out. The only specific
that I can personally recall was that the air intake placement made it
possible to injest water on some models. I believe that also heard that
the rings and cylinders had a shorter than normal life, anound 120K miles,
but only heard that from one user. So any further enlightenment is
welcome.

IIRC:

The big problem was bearings due to the increased particulates (and typical
sloppy owner maintainance).

A gas engine can go a LONG time between oil changes (10K at least) and still
make it well beyond 150K (Trust me on this one...), the Chevy diesel didn't
last if you didn't change the oil every 3000 - 5000 miles. "Real" diesels
are designed to deal with particulates combined with the higher loads.

Old March 19th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

schreef:
[...]

I had a '78 Oldsmobile 98 350 diesel. It was dead reliable for 145,000
miles giving me a consistent 35MPG before I gave it to a charity in exchange
for a tax break. You couldn't sell them. The only problems I ran into was
fuel gelling in very cold weather when I left it in an airport parking lot
for a week or more. I learned that if cold weather was expected it was
better to leave it home in the garage and take a shuttle to the airport.

The biggest problem was the dealers who hadn't a clue of how to maintain
them. Not one knew that it needed special diesel oil. "We just use 10-30
like everything else", I was told. I used ashless fleet diesel oils that
over the road trucks use and changed it every 2500 miles. I had to buy the
stuff by the case from a petroleum distributor since no service shop stocked
it.

The typical owner just didn't care about maintenance details and dealer
service departments were hopeless. My take is that they whole debacle was
service related which is still GM's fault since they didn't train their
dealers.

Bill D

Old March 19th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
root

schreef:
[...]

Most of the early 350 based models had crankshaft failure problems. GM
revised the cranks on at least two occasions with little success. After
an intensive investigation it was determined that the engine block main
bearing webs were flexing and cracking. This allowed the crank to bend
excessively, resulting in crank breakage. Once the cylinder blocks were
modified there were few other mechanical/structural problems. By this
time the engines had already acquired their reputation for unreliability.

Subaru phase II engine weights [email protected] Home Built 2 May 15th 06 05:04 PM
Aerotow with Diesel engine? Olfert Cleveringa Soaring 44 November 2nd 04 10:22 AM
Diesel engine Bryan Home Built 41 May 1st 04 07:23 PM
experimental engine-subaru Cautious Home Built 0 February 11th 04 05:34 AM