Go-arounds

Old November 16th 04, 05:15 PM
Ramapriya

Default Go-arounds

Just curious... do airliners view go-arounds unfavorably against
pilots in, say, their appraisals or performance reports?

Ramapriya

Old November 16th 04, 05:39 PM
Bob Gardner

I have never been associated with an airline, but having been in the
aviation education business for over 40 years I can tell you that going
around from a questionable approach is a sign of good judgment...crashing to
avoid going around is to be avoided.

Bob Gardner

om...

Old November 16th 04, 05:39 PM
Capt.Doug

"Ramapriya" wrote in message do airliners view go-arounds unfavorably
against pilots in, say, their appraisals or performance reports?

It depends on the reason for the go-around. Some go-arounds are because
controllers get the spacing too tight as we come down the pipeline. Some
go-arounds are because the plane in front of us didn't expedite off the
runway as the controller requested. Some go-arounds are because an
inattentive pilot or truck driver committed a runway incursion in front of a
landing plane. Even for those go-arounds were the pilot is at blame, a
go-around displays better judgement than continuing a landing and making a
bad situation worse.

D.

Old November 17th 04, 03:48 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ramapriya" wrote in message
om...

Just curious... do airliners view go-arounds unfavorably against
pilots in, say, their appraisals or performance reports?

I don't know, but I'd wager they view bending an airplane unfavorably.

Old November 17th 04, 04:12 AM
Judah

Just yesterday, I witnessed a Go-Around by an airliner when another
airliner on the ground that was cleared to cross the runway didn't get
across in time.

The controller yelled at the guy on the ground for not getting across quick
enough. (Actually, she had been yelling at him for at least 10 or 20
seconds to pick it up because there was a Dash-8 on final.) No complaint
was made to the guy in the air who went around, though. He did what he was
supposed to.

(Ramapriya) wrote in
om:

Old November 17th 04, 07:14 AM
Scott Skylane

Ramapriya wrote:

Just curious... do airliners view go-arounds unfavorably against
pilots in, say, their appraisals or performance reports?

Ramapriya

No, just the opposite.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old November 17th 04, 04:22 PM
Ron Garret

In article
,
"Capt.Doug" wrote:

"Ramapriya" wrote in message do airliners view go-arounds unfavorably
against pilots in, say, their appraisals or performance reports?

It depends on the reason for the go-around. Some go-arounds are because
controllers get the spacing too tight as we come down the pipeline. Some
go-arounds are because the plane in front of us didn't expedite off the
runway as the controller requested. Some go-arounds are because an
inattentive pilot or truck driver committed a runway incursion in front of a
landing plane. Even for those go-arounds were the pilot is at blame, a
go-around displays better judgement than continuing a landing and making a
bad situation worse.

e.g.:

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi_bin/v...052000&reg=N66
8SW&airline=Southwest+Airlines

rg
Old November 17th 04, 11:28 PM
AES/newspost

In article ,
Ron Garret wrote:

It depends on the reason for the go-around. Some go-arounds are because
controllers get the spacing too tight as we come down the pipeline. Some
go-arounds are because the plane in front of us didn't expedite off the
runway as the controller requested. Some go-arounds are because an
inattentive pilot or truck driver committed a runway incursion in front of a
landing plane. Even for those go-arounds were the pilot is at blame, a
go-around displays better judgement than continuing a landing and making a
bad situation worse.

I was a passenger some years ago on a United something coming up the Bay
into SFO, probably 28L or 28R, that did a go-around for one of these
reasons. I realized what was happening, but was still slightly
white-knuckled over how long it seemed to take for the engines to get
spooled back up and the aircraft to stop descending, level off, and
start climbing out. Not at all like the feeling of climbing up off the
runway following rotation on takeoff.
Old November 18th 04, 01:10 AM
William W. Plummer

AES/newspost wrote:
In article ,
Ron Garret wrote:

[...]

I don't understand the issue. A "go around" is a standard proceedure
which as a pilot, I have executed a number of times. If things aren't
"right", you go around.

I have been on several commercial flights (major airlines) where the
pilot has made the same decision. The major problem there is the wasted
fuel and lowered profits.

When in doubt, go 'round.

Old November 18th 04, 03:37 AM
Morgans

"Ron Garret" wrote

Even for those go-arounds were the pilot is at blame, a
go-around displays better judgement than continuing a landing and making

bad situation worse.

So is a screw up like that a career ender for both the pilots? Opinions?
Doug? Others?
--
Jim in NC

---