Help with Private Pilot test

Old June 26th 05, 10:13 PM
John Kaye

Default Help with Private Pilot test

Does anyone know what a passing score is on the private pilot exam. I am
just about ready I think. I keep studying the ASA software and I test about
80-86%. Is that passing? What is a passing score % wise??

Thanks in advance.. skynurse

Old June 26th 05, 10:54 PM
Robert Barker

"John Kaye" wrote in message
Does anyone know what a passing score is on the private pilot exam. I am
just about ready I think. I keep studying the ASA software and I test
about 80-86%. Is that passing? What is a passing score % wise??

Thanks in advance.. skynurse

John,

Just finished mine. Passing is 70, but you DEFINITELY want to strive for a
better grade! I've heard it both ways, but many here have said that the
better you do on your written, the less you're grilled on that stuff during
your practical.

I used the practice tests on Sporty's site. It requires a registration to
keep track of things, but it's free.
http://www.sportys.com/faatest/private.cfm

Another I used was a site called Kips. It's a great site that lets you
select how many questions you want and I started with 100 and went from
there.. http://www.exams4pilots.org/

I tried to take at least 2 of these suckers a day. I wasn't going to take
the actual test until I was consistently in the 90's.

Old June 27th 05, 12:32 AM
Bob Gardner

I've just gone through the ASA Virtual Test Prep package (without running
all four CDs) and to my surprise, they don't mention the passing score
anywhere. I'll be on the phone to them tomorrow.

Kinda surprised that you didn't ask your instructor, though.

Bob Gardner

Old June 27th 05, 01:13 AM
G. Sylvester

Bob Gardner wrote:
I've just gone through the ASA Virtual Test Prep package (without running
all four CDs) and to my surprise, they don't mention the passing score
anywhere. I'll be on the phone to them tomorrow.

Bob Gardner

So Bob, what did you get on the test?

Gerald
Old June 27th 05, 01:59 AM
NW_PILOT

Passing is 70% if I were you I would not take it unless you were getting
95%+ on the practice that way on the real one you should get 85%+

Old June 27th 05, 04:34 AM
Robert Barker

"G. Sylvester" wrote in message
.. .
Bob Gardner wrote:
I've just gone through the ASA Virtual Test Prep package (without running
all four CDs) and to my surprise, they don't mention the passing score
anywhere. I'll be on the phone to them tomorrow.

Bob Gardner

So Bob, what did you get on the test?

Gerald

Got a 93. Wanted a 95 or better but got 3 questions I don't remember seeing
before. One of them I knew I was getting wrong as I marked it but couldn't
make myself change the answer. (Wish they would tell you which questions
you DID get wrong!) Simply over thought the thing. Asked about some
airspace over a particular private airport. The only specific airspace
marked on the chart was Class E around some small airports. Nothing else
marked... Logically, the airspace over the airport was class G from surface
to 17,999 and I almost marked that. But then I remember reading somewhere
that there is very little class G in the US to that altitude and selected
that it was G to 1200 and E from there up to 17,999. I knew it was wrong,
but, there you go... There went my 95!

Old June 27th 05, 05:00 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

NW_PILOT wrote:
Passing is 70% if I were you I would not take it unless you were getting
95%+ on the practice that way on the real one you should get 85%+

Another advantage to scoring higher on the written is that your oral will be
much quicker. If you barely slide by on the written you're likely to find your
oral to be quite comprehensive.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old June 27th 05, 09:28 AM
Greg Farris

One of the questions concerning airspace around a small airport has to do with
night VFR. The questions does not specify that it is night, but the only
answer that *could* be correct lists night VFR minima, so you are supposed to
surmise that it is night. I find that sly to the point of intellectual
dishonesty - particularly when the test preparation is not held to the same
level of accurate detail as the candidate. For example, they will ask you to
correctly identify VOR, VOR/DME and VORTAC symbols, but other questions will
ask you to measure from a VORTAC that is, in fact, a VOR/DME. the candidate
who knows his stuff will suspect yet another trick, and is likely to get the
question wrong.

G Faris