The first $100 tow...

Old September 8th 05, 12:29 AM
Eric Greenwell

Stewart Kissel wrote:

I don't see to many tow operations
getting rich, and they will get squeezed. I suppose
those with deep pockets can go to self-launching, but
not sure if that is really saving money in the long
run.

It does take deep pockets to afford an 18 meter self-launcher, but most
of the cost is the very fine glider you are buying. There are 13 meter
and 15 meter self-launchers that cost less than that 50:1 18 meter
glider(even if the 18 m glider doesn't have engine). So, cost is not
necessarily an obstacle.

The long drives many of us do to get to our soaring
spots are going to take a bigger bite as well.

A self-launcher may let you avoid that drive entirely, if you can soar
from your local airport. I do that, and it saves a 220 mile round trip
to the gliderport. Alternatively, you may be able to motor to the good
soaring, even if the local airport is a sink hole. "Traveling" in a
motorglider is relatively cheap, even in my ASH 26 E. I've made several
150+ mile retrieves (no soaring), using about 2 gallons in the process.
This is a lot less fuel than my mini-van would use for the ~400 mile
round-trip retrieve.

Of course, there are other good reasons to own a self-launcher,
regardless which way the finances figure out.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old September 8th 05, 05:54 AM
Jeremy Zawodny

Eric Greenwell wrote:

A self-launcher may let you avoid that drive entirely, if you can soar
from your local airport. I do that, and it saves a 220 mile round trip
to the gliderport. Alternatively, you may be able to motor to the good
soaring, even if the local airport is a sink hole. "Traveling" in a
motorglider is relatively cheap, even in my ASH 26 E. I've made several
150+ mile retrieves (no soaring), using about 2 gallons in the process.
This is a lot less fuel than my mini-van would use for the ~400 mile
round-trip retrieve.

Speaking of traveling in an ASH-26E, have you ever seen how much stuff
Kempton manages to cram into his?

He'll fly around the Great Basin for a few seemingly using only what's
in the aircraft.

Jeremy
Old September 8th 05, 07:05 AM
Eric Greenwell

Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

Speaking of traveling in an ASH-26E, have you ever seen how much stuff
Kempton manages to cram into his?

He'll fly around the Great Basin for a few seemingly using only what's
in the aircraft.

Kempton was one of the pilots I had in mind, though he is an extreme
case of using the glider to travel to soaring. I admire his efforts, but
haven't persuaded myself to emulate them! The two ASH 26 E pilots that
fly out of Ramona (near San Diego) for soaring in the Warner Springs
area are probably a better model for most pilots.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old September 11th 05, 12:09 AM
Tom

I used to figure the operating cost of my Tahoe at 75c per mile. Now,
it is more like 85-90c per mile, making the round trip to the nearest
glider port cost about $200. On top of that meals and, perhaps, a motel
room.

But that is not the worst part, which is the best soaring weather often
does not happen on the weekends. I can leave my office and be airborne
in under an hour. This accounts for about half of my flying this year.

Tom

$100 Hamburger question AJ Piloting 3 October 3rd 05 12:46 AM
GOP Kills $100 million relief to GA companies hurt by 9/11 airspace restrictions Larry Dighera Piloting 21 January 31st 04 02:21 AM
FS BF-109G ERICH HARTMANN DESKTOP MODEL $100 SHIPPED [email protected] Military Aviation 0 August 5th 03 07:20 AM
FS B-52D SAC MARKINGS SE ASIA COLORS $100 Eroplano Aviation Marketplace 0 August 1st 03 10:32 AM
FS T-6 TEXAN DESKTOP MODEL $100 Eroplano Aviation Marketplace 0 August 1st 03 10:26 AM