Going around what to do?

Old February 8th 06, 12:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Going around what to do?

Rachel wrote:
Matt Whiting wrote:

Rachel wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

Kyle Boatright wrote:

"Nik" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ok thank you...
How would you say the intentions though?
-Nik

"Your Location Traffic, NXYZ is going around due to departing
traffic on Runway **, will fly an upwind on the Right side of
Runway **."

I'd probably say I was going around due to a fool on the runway, but
otherwise I concur with what you suggest. :-)

I normally unkey the mic and THEN say what I really want... :-)

Why unkey the mic?

Matt

Controllers tend to get angry when you swear on the radio.

Well, I wouldn't do that, but I don't have any qualms letting the idiot
know that I know that he or she is an idiot. :-)

Matt
Old February 8th 06, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Rachel wrote:
Matt Whiting wrote:
Rachel wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

Kyle Boatright wrote:

"Nik" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ok thank you...
How would you say the intentions though?
-Nik

"Your Location Traffic, NXYZ is going around due to departing
traffic on Runway **, will fly an upwind on the Right side of
Runway **."

I'd probably say I was going around due to a fool on the runway, but
otherwise I concur with what you suggest. :-)

I normally unkey the mic and THEN say what I really want... :-)

Why unkey the mic?

Matt

Controllers tend to get angry when you swear on the radio.

I agree. And none of us really want to hear your pain, unhappiness,
inconvenience, etc. Try to be a professional and handle the situation
as you have been taught.
Old February 8th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Stubby wrote:
Rachel wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

Rachel wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

Kyle Boatright wrote:

"Nik" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ok thank you...
How would you say the intentions though?
-Nik

"Your Location Traffic, NXYZ is going around due to departing
traffic on Runway **, will fly an upwind on the Right side of
Runway **."

I'd probably say I was going around due to a fool on the runway,
but otherwise I concur with what you suggest. :-)

I normally unkey the mic and THEN say what I really want... :-)

Why unkey the mic?

Matt

Controllers tend to get angry when you swear on the radio.

I agree. And none of us really want to hear your pain, unhappiness,
inconvenience, etc. Try to be a professional and handle the situation
as you have been taught.

Not sure if that was supposed to be an insult. I'm always professional
on the radio. But name one pilot who doesn't bitch when he gets on the
ground.
Old February 8th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Rachel wrote:
Nik wrote:
Ok thank you...
How would you say the intentions though?
-Nik

"Going around, sidestepping to the right"

Isn't "Going around" sufficient. The default is "to the right" so you
don't tangle with other planes on crosswind and base.
Old February 8th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Depends on other factors, especially WHERE on final I am

True enough. If you're far enough behind the departing acft and can
maintain a safe interval (maybe with S turns) then you can continue the
approach, otherwise I've taught my students to be spring-loaded for a
go-around.

Old February 8th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Just swing to the right and stay clear of the jerk and continue back
around the pattern.
I have had it happen to me at least a dozen times in the last thirty
years.

Old February 8th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Sorry, I don't fly over the same runway when another aircraft could be
right below me, or that I could run into it. ATC would be quite okay
with you sidestepping. That is, of course, if you didn't already
receive instructions telling you to get out of the way.

At a non-towered field, see the above, but announce intentions. If I
lose sight of the other traffic, it's no longer "See and Avoid". It
becomes, "I made a bad decision and hope the other plane avoids me."

Chris G.

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..
In both cases, announce your intentions, offset your approach and fly an
upwind leg (typically to the right of the runway centerline). You should
adjust your upwind leg to keep the rogue aircraft/pilot in view until it
is no longer a collision threat.

At a controlled field, unless told otherwise, you should overfly the runway
while climbing to traffic pattern altitude.

Old February 8th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Chris G." wrote in message
reenews.net...

Sorry, I don't fly over the same runway when another aircraft could be
right below me, or that I could run into it. ATC would be quite okay
with you sidestepping. That is, of course, if you didn't already
receive instructions telling you to get out of the way.

The instruction, "go around", by itself, means overfly the runway while
climbing to traffic pattern altitude. You're not complying with the
instruction if you sidestep to the right without being told to do so.

Old February 8th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 19:11:41 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"Chris G." wrote in message
freenews.net...

Sorry, I don't fly over the same runway when another aircraft could be
right below me, or that I could run into it. ATC would be quite okay
with you sidestepping. That is, of course, if you didn't already
receive instructions telling you to get out of the way.

The instruction, "go around", by itself, means overfly the runway while
climbing to traffic pattern altitude. You're not complying with the
instruction if you sidestep to the right without being told to do so.

Maybe so, but the pilot in command is the ultimate authority for
the safety of the flight....

For what it's worth, I'd only side-step if I didn't like what I saw
below and in front of me. Letting ATC know what I was doing
would of course be a polite thing to do!

Bela P. Havasreti
Old February 8th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

There were two rationales given in this thread, and both of them make
sense to me... but which one would you say is more correct?

a) stay to the right to make it easier to see the traffic (sitting in
the left seat),
b) stay to the right to stay away from the pattern (and away from the
departing plane's presumed crosswind turn).

The reason for asking, of course, is what should you do if the pattern
is RH - sidestep to the left or right?

I've only had to go around for traffic once and it was a weird
situation. I was cleared for T&G on 31. 28 starts to the right of 31,
intersects it, and obviously continues to the left. I was on short
final when tower cleared someone for takeoff on 28; he started rolling.
Since i wanted no part of playing chicken at the intersection, I
immediately went around (then announced it), flew the centerline and
probably the tower gave me right traffic to stay away from the
departure end of 28. The other guy's takeoff clearance was not
canceled, and he departed.

At the time (pre-solo), I was a little rattled, the tower said "sorry
about that" and my instructor said I did the right thing. But, after
reading this thread, it made me think about it some more, and I realize
I likely did not keep the traffic in sight and in fact may have passed
directly over him at some point (certainly a possibility even if it
didn't actually happen that way). So, now I think perhaps I should
have done something differently, but what?

Not crossing 28 would be difficult at best (the airport is KAGC if
anyone wants to look at a diagram) - for one, it's going to involve
really low altitude turns - no way you're missing the approach end by
turning right, and if you go left you're headed towards the hangars and
tower. You're also not going to have a lot of choice about your
airspeed during the initial stages of the go-around. So what to do? I
know now that a 172 should easily be able to land and stop before the
intersection, but even now (a whopping ~25 hours later) I wouldn't be
entirely comfortable with that...

todd