Airbus A 380 is rolling

Old April 17th 05, 06:58 PM
Chris

"Stefan" wrote in message
Martin Hotze wrote:

I like it beeing in service and generating business. There are concerns
IMHO about so many people in one place (check-in, gate, plane) ...

I seem to remember that when the 747 was introduced, there were *excactly*
the same concerns.

The interesting thing I noticed in the picture was the tail of a South
African Airways A340 behind the A380. SAA are moving to an all Airbus fleet
and dropping Boeing.

Old April 17th 05, 07:08 PM
Stefan

Martin Hotze wrote:

companies think global, so they spread maintainance, parts, etc. all over
the world. IMHO

Each A380 will be maintained at the home base of whichever company has
bought it, exactly as your spam can isn't ferried to the USA for the 50
hours check of the Lycoming.

Reminds me of a story a couple of years ago. The Swiss army planned to
buy a certain amount of trucks. Some politicians insisted that they
should be Saurer trucks (Saurer was a now defunct Swiss truck factory)
rather than the somewhat cheaper Mercedes because by buying the Swiss
stuff, they would create work in Switzerland. Taking a closer look it
turned out that by buying the German Mercedes they would create *more*
work in Switzerland, because the German Mercedes had much more Swiss
built parts than the Swiss Saurer...

Stefan
Old April 17th 05, 07:38 PM
Matt Whiting

Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

"Dan Luke" wrote in news:1164trbo65unn67
@news.supernews.com:

"Martin Hotze" wrote:

Since I believe this is war

hu?

It's a war between the two giant, state-supported airliner mfrs.

But why do us outsiders have to take sides?

We don't have to, but it is human nature to be competitive. And this is
actually good in most cases as long as it isn't taken to extremes.

The
winner will dominate the business and the loser's country will suffer
economically.

Not necessarily. Why can't we have a "live and let live" attitude? If
an interesting and valuable project gets started which can make life
better or is just an achievement in its on right, I'm happy, no matter
who it is or what country it's from. As long as it's not about guns or
other things which are to destroy rather than enjoy.

I enjoy my guns tremendously.

Actually, the 380 would likely be a boon to the economy around here
(Mobile, Alabama) because Brookley Field would probably get a lot of
maintenance and component manufacturing business.

See?

Overall, though, if
the 380 is a big success it will hurt Boeing and the U. S.

If that is what your media are telling you, don't believe them. They
are paid by the industry . Perhaps the competition can enthuse Boeing
to create a new, even more spectacular jet, and the games goes into
another round.

It already has. The dreamliner looks pretty cool to me. And the way
fuel costs are going, the smaller more efficient machine may just be the
way of the future.

Personally I have an affection for Boeing because they were the jets
that Pan Am flew into West Berlin where I lived, and thus were my first
aviation experience. And we have an affection for here Pan Am too.
Here's a memorial site http://www.pan-american.de/ "We miss You,
Clipper": http://www.pan-american.de/We%20Miss%20you.html

Likewise. It is unfortunate that Boeing has suffered under some pretty
poor management for the last decade or two. If they'd have spent as
much time on airplane design and marketing as they did trying to get the
government to bail them out against Airbus, I think they'd be much more
competitive now.

Matt
Old April 17th 05, 07:53 PM
Dan Luke

"Wolfgang Schwanke" wrote:

It's a war between the two giant, state-supported airliner mfrs.

But why do us outsiders have to take sides?

Europeans and Americans are not outsiders in this struggle, since our
governments support the combatants.

The
winner will dominate the business and the loser's country will suffer
economically.

Not necessarily. Why can't we have a "live and let live" attitude?

Are you kidding? International trade is war, nice sounding treaties
notwithstanding.

If
an interesting and valuable project gets started which can make life
better or is just an achievement in its on right, I'm happy, no matter
who it is or what country it's from. As long as it's not about guns or
other things which are to destroy rather than enjoy.

Actually, the 380 would likely be a boon to the economy around here
(Mobile, Alabama) because Brookley Field would probably get a lot of
maintenance and component manufacturing business.

See?

But it's political as much as economic. Both companies use this
strategy to ease the qualms (and grease the palms) of countries that buy
their products. Net total is still a loss for the U. S.

Overall, though, if
the 380 is a big success it will hurt Boeing and the U. S.

If that is what your media are telling you, don't believe them. They
are paid by the industry . Perhaps the competition can enthuse
Boeing
to create a new, even more spectacular jet, and the games goes into
another round.

Because of the immense development costs, there's room for only one new
jumbo jet in the world market. It may be there's room for only one mfr.
of large airliners, too. I believe Boeing and Airbus both suspect this
is true, and are betting on different airplanes to make them the "one."
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 17th 05, 09:07 PM
john smith

Wolfgang, please help me with the translation of this:
The wife, as such, is as our businesss, seldom more excluded.

Die Frau als solche ist aus unserer Gesellschaft kaum mehr wegzudenken

Old April 17th 05, 09:11 PM
john smith

I saw an announcement two weeks ago in my local newspaper that Airbus
was searching for a site to build a US maintenance base.

Old April 17th 05, 09:12 PM
john smith

Did anyone read the Wall Street Journal article two weeks ago that
listed all the A380 suppliers, what they supply and where they are located?

it _will_ hurt Boeing, but I doubt that it will hurt the US. Such big

Old April 17th 05, 09:39 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:07:13 GMT, john smith wrote:

Wolfgang, please help me with the translation of this:
The wife, as such, is as our businesss, seldom more excluded.

^^^^^
woman

this sentence is rather hard to translate without beeing lost in
translation. I don't exactly get the deeper meaning of it, there must be a
joke or so to it.

Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:
Die Frau als solche ist aus unserer Gesellschaft kaum mehr wegzudenken

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
our society (and not business)

Women, as such, can't be ['excluded' is what is the word by word
translation, it is more a 'denied out of' or 'banned from'] our society.

#m

--
http://www.hotze.priv.at/album/aviation/caution.jpg
Old April 17th 05, 09:40 PM
Blanche

john smith wrote:
Which is exactly what killed McDonald/Douglas.

M/D didn't die. It bought Boeing with Boeing's money and kept the
Boeing name.