Weekend in DC

Old May 24th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

Default Weekend in DC

"Denny" wrote in message

Well, thinking about doing a weekend in Washington DC... I know we
have had this discussion in the past but I'm too lazy to look it up -
and things may have changed...

I ask the wisdom of the group which is the best airport to use?

This probably depends a lot on what you intend to do and how long you intend
to stay. My home base in Leesburg, VA (KJYO), for instance, is no sleepy
town any more and offers the closest VFR access to DC (with minor
limitations). Car rental and nice hotel accommodations are readily
available, too. You'll need the rental car, though, as public transportation
to/from DC is limited to buses and rush hour schedules.

Manassas, VA (KHEF) offers easier access to public transportation (via
Virginia Railway Express commuter rail), but that, too, is limited in
schedule.

Gaithersburg, MD (KGAI) is the most convenient to public transportation with
a true Metro station (vice commuter rail) fairly close by.

Any suggestions on a hotel?

Let us know what airport you plan to use and we'll offer hotel suggestions.

What are the 'must' touristy things to do?

NASM's Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles (KIAD). There's an inexpensive shuttle
bus from the downtown museum if you end up staying closer to downtown. This
is the only place they can showcase the larger exhibits like the Enterprise
shuttle, the Concorde, SR-71, Enola Gay, etc. The docent-guided tours are
good, but I also enjoy just exploring.

Walking the National Mall is an obvious "must" with stops at The Wall,
Jefferson, Lincoln, Washington and WW2 memorials. The FDR memorial is, IMO,
grossly out of scope. Any of the Smithsonian exhibits are obvious choices
along the way, but the American History museum will be closed for renovation
until Fall 2008.

The Navy Memorial is also interesting and has a convenient Metro stop.

If you have the time, a harbor dinner cruise on the Potomac is entertaining
with nice views.

Mount Vernon is a fairly short drive out of town and provides a nice respite
from "the rush".

I'd also recommend a tour of the Capitol.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old May 26th 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

John T wrote:
"Denny" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry to say the shuttle between museums didn't make financial sense and
was terminated a few years ago. You can get a $3.00 bus from L'enfant
to Dulles and a $.50 bus to the museum from there.

This
is the only place they can showcase the larger exhibits like the Enterprise
shuttle, the Concorde, SR-71, Enola Gay, etc. The docent-guided tours are
good, but I also enjoy just exploring.

The docent guided tours are excellent! (I'm the Docent Program Manager,
so take that as you may).

Another really good museum is the Marine Corp Museum at Quantico.

Margy
Old May 26th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
DaveB[_2_]

On Mon, 26 May 2008 09:34:40 -0400, Margy Natalie
wrote:

John T wrote:
"Denny" wrote in message

[...]

Friday evening parade at 8th & I Marine Barracks is very interesting
to watch. My father was in charge of the ceremonial guard detail , um
I attended more than I needed..........

www.mbw.usmc.mil

Regards
Daveb
Old May 27th 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
c320

On May 21, 8:31 am, Denny wrote:
Well, thinking about doing aweekendin WashingtonDC... I know we
have had this discussion in the past but I'm too lazy to look it up -
and things may have changed...

I ask the wisdom of the group which is the best airport to use?
Any suggestions on a hotel?
What are the 'must' touristy things to do?

I would cheerfully spend every minute at the Smithsonian or the
National Gallery of Art, however my signifcant other doesn't find that
very exciting, so I will need to adjust to her wants...

denny

I recently visited DC, flew into Manasses (HEF). I wouldn't go into
that airport again. It was a 50 min drive to the National Mall and
traffic wasn't too bad. I don't plan on returning to DC until they
remove the ADIZ and FRZ so I can go to a closer airport. You may want
to consider Maryland airport (2W5), it's a bit closer.

I stayed he
http://www.holidayinn.com
WASHINGTON-CAPITOL
Holiday Inn
550 C STREET SW
WASHINGTON, DC 20024

I was happy with the hotel, a couple others I considered we
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...lvania-avenue/
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ton-dc-capitol

Maydays this weekend Nathan Young Piloting 30 November 7th 06 08:30 PM
SWRFI - next weekend! Richard Lamb Home Built 13 May 10th 06 03:45 AM
A fun (!?) weekend [email protected] Soaring 9 April 4th 06 05:48 AM
Fun Weekend Home!!! NW_PILOT Owning 0 March 14th 06 04:46 AM
Weekend Fly-in Comcast NewsGroup Home Built 0 October 16th 05 02:07 AM