This is one for the books.

Old April 7th 05, 07:09 PM
airman

Default This is one for the books.

Would extending daylight savings time give us more daylight?

See Rep. Ed Markey's comments:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...e&sid=84439559

Old April 7th 05, 07:24 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"airman" wrote in message
om...
Would extending daylight savings time give us more daylight?

See Rep. Ed Markey's comments:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...e&sid=84439559

Well of course not. What it does do is add hours of sunlight when more
people are awake.

I remember back during the "Oil Crisis" when they didn't revert to standard
time in the winter. I loved it but I was between 10 & 12 years old at the
time.

Personally I hate it being dark in at 5:00 when I get off work in the
winter.

Old April 7th 05, 07:24 PM
Allen

"airman" wrote in message
om...
Would extending daylight savings time give us more daylight?

See Rep. Ed Markey's comments:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...e&sid=84439559

No, I think it just gives us less night ; )

Old April 7th 05, 07:41 PM
Mark Hansen

On 4/7/2005 11:09, airman wrote:

Would extending daylight savings time give us more daylight?

See Rep. Ed Markey's comments:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...e&sid=84439559

As far as the aviation rules are concerned, night time is dependent on
the position of the Sun, and not an arbitrary time value. If you're
talking about whether your flight will be considered legal or not, the
wall-clock time has nothing to do with it.

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL
Sacramento, CA
Old April 7th 05, 08:00 PM
Peter Duniho

"airman" wrote in message
om...
Would extending daylight savings time give us more daylight?

It's "daylight saving time".

"More"? No. "Later"? Yes. That's the whole point.

It's funny...there's a whole comment-fest going on at slashdot.org right now
on this very topic. Bottom line, if we want to conserve energy, there are
much better ways to do it than mucking around with daylight saving time.

For those of us pilots tied to our clocks, rather than the natural rhythm of
sunrise and sunset, extending daylight saving time would make it easier to
land before sunset. But we'd have more morning flights in the dark. Hard
to say it's better than a wash. I guess it depends on what time you
normally get up and go to sleep.

Pete

Old April 7th 05, 08:01 PM
John Theune

Mark Hansen wrote:
On 4/7/2005 11:09, airman wrote:

Would extending daylight savings time give us more daylight?

See Rep. Ed Markey's comments:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...e&sid=84439559

As far as the aviation rules are concerned, night time is dependent on
the position of the Sun, and not an arbitrary time value. If you're
talking about whether your flight will be considered legal or not, the
wall-clock time has nothing to do with it.

However, I believe the times for sunset are given in local time not GMT
and all those tables would have to be updated.
Old April 7th 05, 08:19 PM
Mark Hansen

On 4/7/2005 12:01, John Theune wrote:

Mark Hansen wrote:
On 4/7/2005 11:09, airman wrote:

Would extending daylight savings time give us more daylight?

See Rep. Ed Markey's comments:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...e&sid=84439559

As far as the aviation rules are concerned, night time is dependent on
the position of the Sun, and not an arbitrary time value. If you're
talking about whether your flight will be considered legal or not, the
wall-clock time has nothing to do with it.

However, I believe the times for sunset are given in local time not GMT
and all those tables would have to be updated.

Actually, the times are based on calculations that only know about
your latitude/longitude. The local time is added later when the
final table is printed.

In any case, what I meant was a change to the daylight time rule
would not result in more time during the day to fly under daylight
rules. It would simply shift the period forward or back a little,
based on the local offset from GMT.

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL
Sacramento, CA
Old April 7th 05, 08:43 PM
Casey Wilson

"airman" wrote in message
om...
Would extending daylight savings time give us more daylight?

See Rep. Ed Markey's comments:

Depends on your perspective. The quote sounds really stupid, like
the farmer that sued the government for changing the day and making his
crops fail, or the dairy operator whose cows went berserk and didn't give
the milk at the assigned (DST) time.
Personally, I don't particularly like daylight savings time in the first
place. But, considering the logic of shifting the clock hands so more
daylight appears at the end of the day does make sense in conserving
electricity. Ask your municipality what are the costs for street lighting
and it won't make any difference over the year. But if all the house lights
don't go on for another hour into the evening, the energy savings could be
substantial.
There's two problems here. Hardly anybody understands the "savings" part
of DST, and legislators like Markey make stupid statements -- or, the
statement is taken out of context.

Old April 7th 05, 10:11 PM
John Galban

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Well of course not. What it does do is add hours of sunlight when

more
people are awake.

Probably a good reason that we don't have that Daylight Savings Time
nonsense here in Arizona. Around here, energy use is significantly
higher when the sun is shining.

I remember back during the "Oil Crisis" when they didn't revert to

standard
time in the winter. I loved it but I was between 10 & 12 years old at

the
time.

You liked that? I remember having to go to school while it was
still pitch dark outside. I hated it.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 7th 05, 10:35 PM
Blueskies

"Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote in message news:dVe5e.3332$up2.668@okepread01...

"airman" wrote in message om...
Would extending daylight savings time give us more daylight?

See Rep. Ed Markey's comments:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...e&sid=84439559

Well of course not. What it does do is add hours of sunlight when more people are awake.

I remember back during the "Oil Crisis" when they didn't revert to standard time in the winter. I loved it but I was
between 10 & 12 years old at the time.

Personally I hate it being dark in at 5:00 when I get off work in the winter.

Then adjust your work schedule...