Orlando Class Bravo

Old April 11th 05, 11:39 PM
Ehvee8or

Default Orlando Class Bravo

Greetings all,

I'm a low-time private pilot in the Tampa Bay area, planning a trip
this weekend over to Cape Canaveral (KTIX - Spaceport Regional) to see
the shuttle sitting on the pad. I've flown through Tampa Class Bravo
before, and learned that approach control sends VFR traffic flying
east to west directly over the field at 2,600, while west to east
traffic flies the same route at 2,100. (The main runways at Tampa
International are 18/36 left and right).

My preferred route to Cape Canaveral will take me through Orlando
Class Bravo. All of the runways in Orlando are also oriented
north/south, so I'm guessing they have a similar procedure. Does
anybody have personal experience transitting their airspace west to
east (or vice versa)? It would be helpful if I had an idea where they
wanted me and when before I actually got there.

TIA

Jim

-------

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
- Arthur C Clarke
Old April 12th 05, 12:09 AM
Gerry Caron

Jim,

First, Sun-n-Fun is this weekend so it'll be a zoo out there with a lot of
arrivals and departures to the North. Given that, I'd stay south of LAL and
pick up V441 towards MLB. Stay below 3000, and you'll avoid the Orlando
Class B completely. When you get 20-30 mi west of MLB (east of Holopaw,
where the Class B floor rises to 6000) head directly towards Titusville.

Gerry

Old April 12th 05, 06:28 PM
George Patterson

Gerry Caron wrote:

First, Sun-n-Fun is this weekend so it'll be a zoo out there with a lot of
arrivals and departures to the North. Given that, I'd stay south of LAL and
pick up V441 towards MLB. Stay below 3000, and you'll avoid the Orlando
Class B completely. When you get 20-30 mi west of MLB (east of Holopaw,
where the Class B floor rises to 6000) head directly towards Titusville.

Staying to the south is an excellent idea. Much of the VFR traffic from the
northeast comes past JAX to the WORMS intersection and then makes a beeline for
Lakeland. This avoids that MOA mess to the west. You want to keep your head on a
swivel in those areas.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old April 12th 05, 10:15 PM
Ehvee8or

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:09:37 GMT, "Gerry Caron"
wrote:

Jim,

First, Sun-n-Fun is this weekend so it'll be a zoo out there with a lot of
arrivals and departures to the North. Given that, I'd stay south of LAL and
pick up V441 towards MLB. Stay below 3000, and you'll avoid the Orlando
Class B completely. When you get 20-30 mi west of MLB (east of Holopaw,
where the Class B floor rises to 6000) head directly towards Titusville.

Gerry

Thanks, Gerry. That's some advice I'm going to heed. The route you
suggest adds only 2/10ths to the Hobbs. Cheap insurance, as they say.

Jim

-------

Old April 12th 05, 11:01 PM
Chris

wrote:

Jim,

First, Sun-n-Fun is this weekend so it'll be a zoo out there with a lot of
arrivals and departures to the North. Given that, I'd stay south of LAL
and
pick up V441 towards MLB. Stay below 3000, and you'll avoid the Orlando
Class B completely. When you get 20-30 mi west of MLB (east of Holopaw,
where the Class B floor rises to 6000) head directly towards Titusville.

Gerry

Thanks, Gerry. That's some advice I'm going to heed. The route you
suggest adds only 2/10ths to the Hobbs. Cheap insurance, as they say.

Forget the Hobbs, or one day it will kill you.

Old April 12th 05, 11:41 PM
Ben Jackson

On 2005-04-12, Chris wrote:

Forget the Hobbs, or one day it will kill you.

My plane doesn't even have a Hobbs meter. I didn't realize it was a safety
feature.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/