Best tug for a 3000lb SEP?

Old April 27th 05, 02:02 AM
Brian Whatcott

Default Best tug for a 3000lb SEP?

Hmmm...Peter the Anonymous received some experienced advice -
nevertheless, he feels entitled to deride folks' efforts on his
behalf. Y'all just didn't READ his note!

There IS a difference between a hydraulic drive garden tractor and a
tractor, which perhaps Peter is not grasping. In turn, I notice that
Peter refers to a "first wheel" - now THERE'S an aeronautical term if
ever I heard one. :-)

And finally, it's true: the nose-wheel tows that Peter points to are
more compact than even a small garden tractor. So that's maybe the
prime consideration.

Regards

Brian W

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:58:52 +0100, Peter
wrote:

Looking at the responses I don't think anybody has actually read what
I originally wrote:

A colleague is looking for a tug, perhaps an electric one, capable of
towing the aircraft (a TB20) by the first wheel a distance of about 50
yards.

I say "electric" because petrol engined tugs seems to be a bit
temperamental, and this is in a very tight hangar and a lot of control
over the forward/reverse speed is needed.

and people suggest using TRACTORS???

The options I am looking at are

http://www.aero-tow.com/ (e200 or e300)
http://www.powertow.com/12V.html
http://www.dragger.com/ndd.html (the first two)

One thing I've learnt is that at least some of these electric tugs
don't have variable speed control - the motor just goes on and off.
Whereas the gas powered tugs have the rudimentary control of throttle
and a clutch.

Old April 27th 05, 02:12 AM
Matt Barrow

I originally wrote:

A colleague is looking for a tug, perhaps an electric one, capable of
towing the aircraft (a TB20) by the first wheel a distance of about 50
yards.

I say "electric" because petrol engined tugs seems to be a bit
temperamental, and this is in a very tight hangar and a lot of control
over the forward/reverse speed is needed.

and people suggest using TRACTORS???

Probably because most of us (all of us??) find it cheaper and even better to
improvise with a old lawn/garden tractor or golf cart than to buy a specific
tool for the job.

I know of one guy uses an old 4 person "golf cart" (he got it from a
hospital) because he can load his baggage from the car and haul his bags and
passengers to the hanger from the parking lot (they no long allow automobile
access on the ramps).

The options I am looking at are

http://www.aero-tow.com/ (e200 or e300)
http://www.powertow.com/12V.html
http://www.dragger.com/ndd.html (the first two)

One thing I've learnt is that at least some of these electric tugs
don't have variable speed control - the motor just goes on and off.
Whereas the gas powered tugs have the rudimentary control of throttle
and a clutch.

Unfortunately, you're probably on your own on this one.

--
Matt