Weekend in DC

Old May 21st 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Default Weekend in DC

Well, thinking about doing a weekend in Washington DC... I know we
have had this discussion in the past but I'm too lazy to look it up -
and things may have changed...

I ask the wisdom of the group which is the best airport to use?
Any suggestions on a hotel?
What are the 'must' touristy things to do?

I would cheerfully spend every minute at the Smithsonian or the
National Gallery of Art, however my signifcant other doesn't find that
very exciting, so I will need to adjust to her wants...

denny
Old May 21st 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JB

On May 21, 8:31*am, Denny wrote:
Well, thinking about doing a weekend in Washington DC... *I know we
have had this discussion in the past but I'm too lazy to look it up -
and things may have changed...

I ask the wisdom of the group which is the best airport to use?
Any suggestions on a hotel?
What are the 'must' touristy things to do?

I would cheerfully spend every minute at the Smithsonian or the
National Gallery of Art, however my signifcant other doesn't find that
very exciting, so I will need to adjust to her wants...

denny

There are 1/2 dozen airports that ring the city....Leesburg (JYO),
Manassas (HEF), Fredrick (FDK), and on and on. Some are within the
ADIZ, some outside. DO NOT attempt to get close by flying into one of
the DC-3 inside the FRZ. I live in No. VA and my plane is based at
JYO. Others prefer Maryland airports. I won't play tour guide here
and start listing the zillion things you should do as a DC tourist.
But please....do NOT become a local news items by busting the ADIZ and
giving GA pilots a bad name. An overhead camera shot of you lying
face down on the tarmac with Secret Service all around is not very
flattering. THe AOPA site has tons of info on what to do and what not
to do in and around the ADIZ. Its not overly hard or complicated but
there no slack is given if you screw up. If you have questions after
reviewing it, by all means come back and ask.

--Jeff
Old May 21st 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Jeff, thanks for the comments... Just looking for comments on airports
outside the ring...

I have ruled out the DC 3 just because I don't need the expense and
hassle to go through the vetting process for a one time visit... And,
sad to say, I no longer trust this administration, the HSA, and a
whole host of other initials... Never thought it would come to this in
my lifetime, but here we are...
Were I retired and had the time I would actually look at mounting a
lawsuit against the government for treating people flying light
aircraft different from people driving... My gut feeling is that the
HSA cannot withstand a constitutional challenge on this..
Anyway, looking at doing one of the guided tours on a Saturday, and
leaving Sunday for being on our own and hitting at least one museum or
art gallery for me...

denny
Old May 21st 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I ask the wisdom of the group which is the best airport to use?

We used Frederick, and enjoyed it immensely. Tour AOPA headquarters while
you're there, and don't miss the crab cakes at the on-field restaurant!

If you want to get even closer, flying into Dulles (and the ADIZ) is really
no big deal, and they have a very nice FBO. They've probably never seen an
Apache before, though. (They asked me what those big Ginsu knives were on
the front of my little airplane...)

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 21st 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JB

On May 21, 10:02*am, Denny wrote:
[...]

There is a "DCPilots" group on Yahoo Groups. Most/All of us live and
fly in and around the DC area. Once you have your basic facts on the
ADIZ in hand, I'm sure folks would be happy to answer any specific
airspace questions and offer advice on airports and hotels. But I
think almost all of the 1/2 dozen or so that I referenced can provide
rental cars and are near plenty of hotels along the way into DC.

--Jeff
Old May 21st 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"John Smith" wrote in message
In article x8WYj.173556$yE1.138161@attbi_s21,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

I ask the wisdom of the group which is the best airport to use?

We used Frederick, and enjoyed it immensely. Tour AOPA headquarters
while
you're there, and don't miss the crab cakes at the on-field restaurant!

If you want to get even closer, flying into Dulles (and the ADIZ) is
really
no big deal, and they have a very nice FBO. They've probably never seen
an
Apache before, though. (They asked me what those big Ginsu knives were
on
the front of my little airplane...)

;-)

I second Frederick.
The Metro station is several block walk or the FBO will give you a ride.
I have pros and cons for lodging outside DC and inside DC.

The Metro is very definitely the way to get around DC, and if Frederick is
still readily available to GA and also served by the Metro, it is the place
to go. BTW, I have heard that there is a map/atlas of the metro system,
which may include some local maps with sightseeing and hotel info near the
Metro stations, by Stationmasters at http://www.stationmasters.com/

BTW, and just for the benefit of the OP, the current administration are
about all that is left of the "good guys", as the "loyal opposition" are the
ones who have consistantly voted for the worst of the worst and then denied
it...

Peter

Old May 22nd 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JB

*"Jay Honeck" wrote:

I ask the wisdom of the group which is the best airport to use?

We used Frederick, and enjoyed it immensely. *Tour AOPA headquarters while
you're there, and don't miss the crab cakes at the on-field restaurant!

If you want to get even closer, flying into Dulles (and the ADIZ) is really
no big deal, and they have a very nice FBO. * They've probably never seen an
Apache before, though. *(They asked me what those big Ginsu knives were on
the front of my little airplane...)

;-)

I second Frederick.
The Metro station is several block walk or the FBO will give you a ride.
I have pros and cons for lodging outside DC and inside DC.

Dennis...be aware of the distinction between the DC area
subway...called the Metro, and commuter buses/rail. There is no Metro
station all the way out in Frederick but I'm sure there is a commuter
bus/rail that others are referring to that will take you to DC or to a
Metro stop (probably in Rockville).

--Jeff
Old May 22nd 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

[...]

Actually, you are probably right. The last time I was there, the connection
from Dulles to the Metro was a shuttle bus that ran on a set schedule from
the Dulles terminal to the nearest Metro station; but it was far better than
renting a car and trying to find a parking place in DC!

BTW, one explanation point is not rearly enough!

Peter

Old May 22nd 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Denny wrote:
Well, thinking about doing a weekend in Washington DC... I know we
have had this discussion in the past but I'm too lazy to look it up -
and things may have changed...

I ask the wisdom of the group which is the best airport to use?
Any suggestions on a hotel?
What are the 'must' touristy things to do?

I would cheerfully spend every minute at the Smithsonian or the
National Gallery of Art, however my signifcant other doesn't find that
very exciting, so I will need to adjust to her wants...

denny

Come the weekend of June 14th and you can actually be on display at the
Smithsonian!

/http://www.nasm.si.edu/becomeapilot/

Apply soon as the "apply to participate" page will vanish soon.

email me at work nataliem (followed by) @ (followed by) si.edu if
you have questions.

It will be a GREAT day and you can RON at Dulles.

What does your spouse find exciting. I suggest (other than the day at
the fly-in)

Start at the top of the Washinton Monument
conservatory
botanical gardens
NASM (both locations)
Duck boat tour

There's LOTS of stuff in DC

Plays, food, food, food

Margy
Old May 22nd 08, 12:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Thanks for all the suggestions...

denny

Maydays this weekend Nathan Young Piloting 30 November 7th 06 08:30 PM
SWRFI - next weekend! Richard Lamb Home Built 13 May 10th 06 03:45 AM
A fun (!?) weekend [email protected] Soaring 9 April 4th 06 05:48 AM
Fun Weekend Home!!! NW_PILOT Owning 0 March 14th 06 04:46 AM
Weekend Fly-in Comcast NewsGroup Home Built 0 October 16th 05 02:07 AM