What row are you parked on in the North 40?

Old July 27th 09, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

Default What row are you parked on in the North 40?

534

--
Dan

T182T at 4R4

Old August 3rd 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

We were in Row 547. Fantastic week -- great time!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old August 3rd 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

We were in Row 547. Fantastic week -- great time!

Saw your camp site back there, but you were never home when we were passing
by. We left Wed. morning.

We took my grandson to his first AirVenture this year; he's 8 y/o. He slept
in a tent for the first time, saw his favorite warbirds, took a helicopter
ride, made a balsa airplane, fell down and went boom (twice), and got bitten
by a mysterious insect. In short, he had a great time.

The rate of arrivals was a bit different this year. We arrived Saturday
afternoon as always and camped 50 yds. from the showers. Usually, we're
north of 9/27, so we thought attendance was way down. Then the n. 40 filled
to capacity on Monday and attendance turned out to be great. Go figure.

Great trip, great show. See ya next year.

--
Dan

T182T at 4R4m

Old August 3rd 09, 07:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
m...

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

We were in Row 547. Fantastic week -- great time!

Saw your camp site back there, but you were never home when we were
passing by. We left Wed. morning.

He was probably always still hung over from the night before. He thinks EAA
is the Experimental Alcoholics Association.

Old August 3rd 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Sorry we missed you, Dan. Sounds like a great time for an 8 -- or 80 --
year old!

It was a strange show. As always, we departed from Iowa City at 10 AM on
Sunday morning (this time leading a flight of nine aircraft -- a new record
for us), which (unless there's a hold) puts us in the N40 by noon. We were
parked within 100 yards of where we are always parked, which was a good
sign.

Then the floodgates opened, and the field filled to capacity by Monday
night. It was great! However, the expected "2nd Wave" of arrivals (that
comes in after you "early-mid-week-leavers" depart) never materialized. By
Thursday attendance was way down -- by the weekend, we were literally one of
three planes parked in an area where 60 planes were parked on Tuesday. It
may have been that big storm out East keeping people away? Dunno.

All in all, it was a MUCH better year than expected. Our pool party was a
complete blow-out, the flight up was terrific, and the Wednesday night North
40 party was very well attended. This was also the coolest OSH ever for
us -- we wore long pants and sweatshirts for the first time! I'll post pics
and video once I'm somewhat recovered at work. A week away usually means a
desk full of catastrophes to deal with!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 3rd 09, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Adams[_2_]

Hi Jay,

We had a great time at your party and the show. We decided to get an early start, and launched about
8:00 am, well ahead of your flight of 9. We had some scud-running to do between Madison and
Oshkosh, but no significant traffic problems. We tried camping in Vintage this year, and it worked out
great. We were in row 99, right across from the ultralight runway, and parked just one plane away from
Runway 36L. We had a great view of the A-380 landing. Yes, it was very "firm".

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Then the floodgates opened, and the field filled to capacity by Monday
night. It was great! However, the expected "2nd Wave" of arrivals
(that comes in after you "early-mid-week-leavers" depart) never
materialized. By Thursday attendance was way down -- by the weekend,
we were literally one of three planes parked in an area where 60
planes were parked on Tuesday.

It was a different story in Vintage. Quite a few people left on Wednesday morning, and by Wednesday
afternoon, we had a whole new set of neighbors. The line crew did a good job of finding and back-filling
the empty places, so there was no appreciable open space when we left Thursday morning.

All in all, it was a MUCH better year than expected. Our pool party
was a complete blow-out, the flight up was terrific, and the Wednesday
night North 40 party was very well attended.

Sorry we didn't make the N40 party. Just too far from the vintage area, plus we had food to finish and
camp to clean up for our Thursday departure.

This was also the coolest OSH ever for us -- we wore long pants and sweatshirts for the
first time!

No kidding. The weather was great. It's good sleeping when it's cool enough to actually use the
sleeping bag!

Overall, we enjoyed the different experience in the vintage area, compared to previous N40 camping.
It's definitely closer to the show than N40, and good view of the daily airshow right from our camp. My
only complaint was the showers. In our area there were only 8 showers covering the entire south end
of the vintage area, and no sinks. There were lines as early as 5:30 am. They definitely need to
improve that - the showers in N40 are much better. Also, there's very limited electricity access, unlike
the shower building in N40 with all the outlets. I tried the wi-fi a few times on my laptop and had trouble
getting connected, but didn't really pursue it since I didn't have a good place to recharge.

We departed Thursday morning, spent the night with relatives in Colorado, and then back to Arizona
on Friday. 20 hours total flight time.

Regards,
Mike
Old August 4th 09, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
scott

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

I flew up from Madison for the first time on Friday. I think we taxied right
by your airplane at the departure end of 27 as we were being marshalled
around to the N40 parking area.

Very cool to actually be able to fly in. Even better was that my dad and I
drove up there a few times when I was a kid, and now I was able to re-pay
him the favor by flying us in.

Might have to think about camping out for a few days next year - too much to
see in one short day!

Scott
MSN