OT-San Antonio Lodging

Old July 27th 09, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Terry

Default OT-San Antonio Lodging

As a member of this newsgroup for many years, I thought this would be a
good place to get advice from my fellow pilots.

My son is leaving for Afghanistan on the 21st of Aug from Camp Bullis. I
am looking for a place to stay from Aug 20th - 22nd. Would like it to be
near the "River Walk" area so we can see some of the sights. We will be
flying into KSAN via commercial carrier and renting vehicle.

I know nothing about the San Antonio area as to a place that is a good,
clean, safe place to stay with reasonable rates and close to the River
Walk area. I understand rates will be higher near that area but $400.00
a night, is too much for my wallet.

Last time I was in San Antonio was in 1966 at Lackland AFB so any help
you might provide his mother and I would be very much appreciated.

Thanks to all for your patience

Terry N6401F

Old July 30th 09, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
HarryG

On Jul 27, 8:03*am, "Terry" wrote:
As a member of this newsgroup for many years, I thought this would be a
good place to get advice from my fellow pilots.

My son is leaving for Afghanistan on the 21st of Aug from Camp Bullis. I
am looking for a place to stay from Aug 20th - 22nd. Would like it to be
near the "River Walk" area so we can see some of the sights. We will be
flying into KSAN via commercial carrier and renting vehicle.

I know nothing about the San Antonio area as to a place that is a good,
clean, safe place to stay with reasonable rates and close to the River
Walk area. I understand rates will be higher near that area but $400.00
a night, is too much for my wallet.

Last time I was in San Antonio was in 1966 at Lackland AFB so any help
you might provide his mother and I would be very much appreciated.

Thanks to all for your patience

Terry N6401F

Terry,

Welcome back to SA! First, please tell your son and your family that
he will be in our prayers and thoughts during his deployment.

Here is a link that will get you started looking at what is available
on/near the river walk area for lodging and other activities:
http://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/

The river walk area and Camp Bullis are not close together. They are
approximately 20 or so miles from each other. (We live just a few
miles from Camp Bullis.)

When you all arrive in SA, you might recognize the downtown area, but
I doubt you will recognize much more. SA has greatly changed over the
last 40+ years. Downtown SA, especially the river walk area is a very
dense tourist area so expect large crowds and don't be in a hurry to
get from place-to-place.

You don't need to be overly concerned about safety, just take the
normal safety precautions and you shouldn't have any problems. For
example, don't be flashing your money around (I keep some cash in my
pocket so I don't have to pull out my wallet); don't leave items
unattended or they might "grow feet".

SA is a very friendly town, but just like anyplace else it has a few
who love to enhance their income at the expense of others.

Unfortunately, we will not be here during your stay. I hope you have a
great time.

Best wishes.

Harry
PP-ASEL
C-172 Driver

Old July 30th 09, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
HarryG

On Jul 30, 7:29*am, HarryG wrote:
On Jul 27, 8:03*am, "Terry" wrote:

[...]

snip

Terry,

One thing, I just thought of and that regards the traffic lights :-).

When the light is GREEN = everyone can go through
When the light turns YELLOW = 5 more cars go through
When the light turns RED = 2 more cars go through

Moral: always look both ways before crossing an intersection
regardless of the color of the light :-).

Harry
Old August 3rd 09, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Jul 27, 6:03*am, "Terry" wrote:
As a member of this newsgroup for many years, I thought this would be a
good place to get advice from my fellow pilots.

My son is leaving for Afghanistan on the 21st of Aug from Camp Bullis. I
am looking for a place to stay from Aug 20th - 22nd. Would like it to be
near the "River Walk" area so we can see some of the sights. (Rest snipped)

I grew up in San Antonio and wish I could help with your lodging
question, but can't. However, I always recommend my two absolutely
favorite mexican restaurants to anyone I know who is going to my
former hometown. If you want truly great Mexican food you must venture
away from the River Walk a bit, the restaurants there are good, but
not great.

Trust me when I say you will not regret the 15-20 minute drive to La
Palmita from the downtown area. It is a simple drive, though La
Palmita is kinda out-of-the-way, especially for tourists. The
incredible North Star Mall is not far from La Palmita if you like
very, very cool malls. By the same token Rivercenter Mall downtown is
also neat.
If you do go to La Palmita order either the 2+2 or the 3+3, which is a
combo of the most incredible red tortilla cheese enchiladas and
handmade soft tacos you will ever experience. The River Walk does have
some good mexican food, but not great, because most are large-scale
tourist attractions that must churn out hundreds of plates per hour.
Mi Tierra will likely be a disappointment if you want really wonderful
Mexican cooking. It is the most popular restaurant on the River Walk,
but far from the best.

La Fonda is closer to downtown, also incredible, and is authentic,
mouth-watering mexican cooking at it's almost-best. The original
location on North Main is widely known to be better than the other
locations. I say "almost" because, IMO La Palmita is, hands-down, the
greatest Mexican food in San Antonio.

Here are two links, one to La Palmita, one to La Fonda. Enjoy my
boyhood city!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um...21636369907245

http://www.lafondaonmain.com/

Ricky

GA airports in San Antonio, TX cpw Piloting 11 January 31st 08 03:50 AM
San Antonio [email protected] Soaring 1 December 3rd 06 12:32 AM
accident in San Antonio, TX [email protected] Soaring 14 June 29th 06 09:23 PM
Glider accident near San Antonio Duster Soaring 0 June 26th 06 08:43 PM
Soaring Sites near San Antonio? Mike Soaring 6 March 20th 04 11:45 PM