See and avoid

Old March 18th 04, 02:57 PM
Kees Mies

Default See and avoid

Hi All,

Just wondering.
Why do light aircraft do not have turning indicators?
The see-and-avoid concept has its shortcomings, but I have sometimes more
problems with see-and-what-is-he/she-upto??????

Kees.
Old March 18th 04, 03:30 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, (Kees Mies) said:
Why do light aircraft do not have turning indicators?

They do. They're called wings. If they're level, the plane isn't
turning.

--
Paul Tomblin
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Old March 18th 04, 03:35 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Kees Mies wrote:

Why do light aircraft do not have turning indicators?

'Cause they don't need them.

The see-and-avoid concept has its shortcomings, but I have sometimes more
problems with see-and-what-is-he/she-upto??????

Just remember - left wing goes down, probably turning left. Right wing goes down,
probably turning right.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.
Old March 18th 04, 03:39 PM
Gig Giacona

"Kees Mies" wrote in message
om...
Hi All,

Just wondering.
Why do light aircraft do not have turning indicators?
The see-and-avoid concept has its shortcomings, but I have sometimes more
problems with see-and-what-is-he/she-upto??????

Kees.

Do you mean like blinkers?

Gig "If you can read this you are too close" Giacona

Old March 18th 04, 03:48 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Bill Denton wrote:

Everybody talking about "looking at the wings" needs to rethink their
advice.

You can see an entire airplane much farther away than you can distinguish
the wings.

And you're going to be able to see a turn signal blinker further away than you
can see the wings? Get real.

Old March 18th 04, 03:51 PM
Bill Denton

Everybody talking about "looking at the wings" needs to rethink their
advice.

You can see an entire airplane much farther away than you can distinguish
the wings.

The headings of both yours and the other aircraft affect your ability to
distinguish the wings.

Old March 18th 04, 04:20 PM
Dale

In article ,
"Bill Denton" wrote:

Everybody talking about "looking at the wings" needs to rethink their
advice.

You can see an entire airplane much farther away than you can distinguish
the wings.

If he's so far away that you can't determine what he's doing it's likely
the other traffic isn't a factor...at least not at the speeds of most GA
aircraft.

Rely on relative motion. If the dot isn't moving relative to your
viewpoint, you're on a collision course.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old March 18th 04, 04:41 PM
C J Campbell

"Dale" wrote in message
In article ,
"Bill Denton" wrote:

Everybody talking about "looking at the wings" needs to rethink their
advice.

You can see an entire airplane much farther away than you can

distinguish
the wings.

If he's so far away that you can't determine what he's doing it's likely
the other traffic isn't a factor...at least not at the speeds of most GA
aircraft.

Rely on relative motion. If the dot isn't moving relative to your
viewpoint, you're on a collision course.

Not necessarily. The dot could be moving directly away from you.