A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Tying down a fiber glass ship.

Old January 18th 18, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Collin Shea
external usenet poster

Default Tying down a fiber glass ship.

Anytime I “tie down” my ship for the night I just put two wing stands underneath each wings and raise them to where there’s no flex, chocked the main wheel, and if the wind was supposed to be over 12-15 knots, we would trailer it for the night. this method worked all two weeks of Hobbs, we never really worried about the finish just because it had already seen it’s harshest UV rays during the flying, night time didn’t scare us. But I would never leave my Libelle out for months (Just to clarify)
Old January 18th 18, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 4:47:32 PM UTC-7, Collin Shea wrote:
Anytime I “tie down” my ship for the night I just put two wing stands underneath each wings and raise them to where there’s no flex, chocked the main wheel, and if the wind was supposed to be over 12-15 knots, we would trailer it for the night. this method worked all two weeks of Hobbs, we never really worried about the finish just because it had already seen it’s harshest UV rays during the flying, night time didn’t scare us. But I would never leave my Libelle out for months (Just to clarify)

Collin's method will usually be fine but it can make neighbors irritated and apprehensive.

One wing stand under a tied down wing wheel saddle; and on the other wing, a wing stand under a tied down wing rigger saddle makes a pretty solid setup (though esthetically a bit out of balance).
Old January 18th 18, 08:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I have seen numerous times that Colin’s method will bring grief.
If you have not got the sense to tie your aircraft down then trailer it or move it a LONG way from my glider. (New rudder due someone tying down at only one point)
Tom
Old January 18th 18, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hal[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 1:09:23 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Don’t have a hangar, so planning on tying down the glider, a standard cirrus, during the weekend. Has any one done this consistently. How bad did the gel coat deteriorate; any tips?

The tow hitch is a very good tiedown point. If there is none, put a solid anchor in the ground and use that. If you do not have a spare Tost ring, get a shackle with the right dimensions at the hardware store. At the very least your glider will not blow away whatever the wind does!
Old January 18th 18, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 10:09:23 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Don’t have a hangar, so planning on tying down the glider, a standard cirrus, during the weekend. Has any one done this consistently. How bad did the gel coat deteriorate; any tips?

For those who say covering and rigging take the same time, I'd have to question how they are covering and how they are rigging. I can cover my glider in about 7 minutes, remove the covers and store in about 5.

In practice, I wash the glider prior to putting the covers on: the bugs are still fresh, it keeps the covers clean, and the glider is ready to fly the next day. Washing and covering takes about 25 minutes.

I do not tie out other than overnight between flights. Many have told me this is useless, as the sun is low and the UV damage done in flight. However after 15 years of this, the covers have significant UV damage - damage that is on the cover, not on the glider.
Old January 19th 18, 06:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 10:09:23 AM UTC-8, wrote:

Some of the methods described here are fair-weather tie downs, at best. If you value your glider, come up with a system that can survive an unexpected storm (50+ kt winds). I made a pair of wing cuffs out of 3/4 exterior plywood that was doubled up to 1.5". You will have to transfer the wing profile to the wood by cardboard templates. I hot-glued strips of felt to the wood.. This project will take a full weekend (unless you've done it before, then maybe a day). I have used these for several years successfully at Nevada airports that get strong thunderstorms. They can go on over wing covers, or without.

Tom
Old January 19th 18, 12:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

https://goo.gl/images/ZYLcT6

These take a 200kg load, each (445lbs in old money). 1 for the tailboom and one on each wingtip. You’ll pull your star picker out before these let go.

CJ
Old January 19th 18, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hal[_3_]
external usenet poster

The tow hitch makes a very good tiedown of last resort. If there is no ground anchor, put one in. If you do not have a spare Tost ring, get a shackle with the right dimensions at the hardware store. At the very least your glider will not blow away whatever the wind does!
Old January 20th 18, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Thanks for the tips and comments guys. I feel much better about tying it down on the weekends for the Xc season .
Old January 25th 18, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

There is always the Bill Bartell method: don’t dump your water ballast before landing and just chock the main wheel.

Tie downs are for sissies and 2-33s...

(Not joking, as those who flew with Bill remember).

Kirk