Aviation Charts for Puerto Vallarta

Old June 20th 05, 08:09 AM
Will

Default Aviation Charts for Puerto Vallarta

Where can I find approach and departure charts for rural airports
in the Sierra Madre mountains that surround Puerto Vallarta,
Mexico? I realize many of these mountain airports are little
more than a dirt road next to a farm and do not have published
instrument approaches, but I would still like as much IFR chart
information for the area as possible.

--
Will

Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

Airports like those, in a country like Mexico, are not part of any
publication system. Only those pilots who use them all the time have a
way worked out; some of which (a few) are good and some of which are
dicey at best.

Old June 20th 05, 04:42 PM
Will

Well that's re-assuring...NOT

What about just IFR charts for that region of Mexico? Where
can I locate those? Surely private pilots flying from Mexico
CIty to Puerto Vallarta aren't just using heresay to fly through
the Sierra Madres!

--
Will

Old June 20th 05, 07:30 PM
gwengler

Jeppesen for IFR.
Baja Bush Pilots has an airport directory
http://www.bajabushpilots.com/bajaairportsairstrips.php and lots of
useful information.

Gerd

Old June 21st 05, 03:32 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

2nd the motion for Baja Bush Pilots

--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.
oups.com...

Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

Sure Mexico has IFR charts for en route, approach, and airport (but IFR
airports only). You made it sound like you were looking for ad hoc
"local procedures" for airports for which the Mexican aviation authority
had not issued procedures.

Jeppesen has complete coverage for Mexican-government-approved enroute
and terminal instrument procedures.

Old June 21st 05, 01:58 PM

"Victor J. Osborne, Jr." wrote:

2nd the motion for Baja Bush Pilots

I did a lot of flying in Baja many years ago. Unlike further down the
mainland side of Mexico, Baja generally has VFR weather. In those days
when some Baja Bush Pilots got caught in the occasional bad weather the
result was sometimes ugly.

Old June 23rd 05, 04:43 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

I did note that at all the seminars I've been at, they talk about all VFR
trips. Then mention "we do some serious SCUD running." No Thanks.

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

Old June 24th 05, 07:32 PM

"Victor J. Osborne, Jr." wrote:

I did note that at all the seminars I've been at, they talk about all VFR
trips. Then mention "we do some serious SCUD running." No Thanks.

My sentiments exactly. Actually, these days Baja has a fairly robust IFR
system but it doesn't lend itself to a normally aspirated light aircraft.
(Distance between VORs mostly). I suppose an IFR GPS could be used for the
airways, although I have no idea of the legality of that in Mexico. Then
again, they probably don't care. ;-)