A380 unveiling, 1/18/05, Live.

Old January 19th 05, 12:40 PM
Nik

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:36:38 -0000, "Chris" wrote
in ::

More efficient in fuel-per-passenger-mile? Doubtful.

Try driving a car across an ocean or mountain range and I think the
airplane
comes out more fuel efficient.

Given the A380 is overweight, over budget and yet to fly, It's
difficult to know the truth on this issue. But that doesn't prevent
its makers from hailing it as a major European feat that will reshape
aviation. Let's discuss it further after it has actually flown.

It was at some stage 2 percent overweight. Airbus claims that this problems
has been solved. If you really want to doubt then doubt Boeing's claims on
the 7E7. They seem so desperate now that they will be happy to promise
almost everything.

Nik

Old January 19th 05, 01:01 PM
AJC

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:32:22 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:36:38 -0000, "Chris" wrote
in ::

More efficient in fuel-per-passenger-mile? Doubtful.

Try driving a car across an ocean or mountain range and I think the airplane
comes out more fuel efficient.

Given the A380 is overweight,

Underweight actually.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...c&refer=europe

over budget

By what %? How does that compare with other similar projects?
--==++AJC++==--
Old January 19th 05, 02:30 PM
Thomas Borchert

Larry,

Given the A380 is overweight, over budget and yet to fly, It's
difficult to know the truth on this issue. But that doesn't prevent
its makers from hailing it as a major European feat that will reshape
aviation. Let's discuss it further after it has actually flown.

Come on, Larry, you know better than that. There is no doubt the thing
will fly. Also, at this stage in the project, there is no doubt it will
sell (actually, something like 160 are sold) and be within weight and
budget limits. This is not some Boeing "project" aka pipedream where
the boss holds up a tiny model to the press. The plane is a month or
two from first flight. It is also not a company like Eclipse. These
guys mean business - and you only have to compare their sales numbers
to that of Boeing to see that they know what they are doing.

Don't fall for the Boeing propaganda...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 19th 05, 02:49 PM
Nik

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Larry,

[...]

Inclusive of options the A380 is beyond the 250 mark. Of cause all options
might not be exercised. But chances are that at least a good deal of them
will if the thing offer what has been promised.

Nik

Old January 19th 05, 02:56 PM
Jay Honeck

Come on, Larry, you know better than that. There is no doubt the thing
will fly. Also, at this stage in the project, there is no doubt it will
sell (actually, something like 160 are sold) and be within weight and
budget limits. This is not some Boeing "project" aka pipedream where
the boss holds up a tiny model to the press. The plane is a month or
two from first flight. It is also not a company like Eclipse. These
guys mean business - and you only have to compare their sales numbers
to that of Boeing to see that they know what they are doing.

It will be interesting to see what Airbus does with the A380's
rudder/vertical stabilizer design.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 19th 05, 02:56 PM
Peter

In article , Larry Dighera
says...
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:36:38 -0000, "Chris" wrote
in ::

More efficient in fuel-per-passenger-mile? Doubtful.

Try driving a car across an ocean or mountain range and I think the airplane
comes out more fuel efficient.

Given the A380 is overweight, over budget and yet to fly, It's
difficult to know the truth on this issue. But that doesn't prevent
its makers from hailing it as a major European feat that will reshape
aviation. Let's discuss it further after it has actually flown.

With computers the way they are nowadays, I wouldn't worry too much
about how closely actual performance will match predicted. Airbus has
demonstrated a solid capacity to build on previous models in ever-
increasing sizes, and the only thing that's at all radical about the
A380 is its size.

Given that it's bigger than the 747 by a sizable margin, I'd say that
reshaping long haul commercial aviation is a given.
Old January 19th 05, 02:57 PM
Allen

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote

The A380 doesn't need 110 pilots to carry 440 passengers. Huge

manpower
savings.

True, but it does need more pilots than 110 passenger cars do.

How do you work that out? Two pilots versus 110 drivers - the plane
clearly has the edge in manpower efficiency.

That is really twisted thinking. Normally, in a car, one of the

passengers
is posing as the (pilot)driver. Therefore, airbus loses. Airbus - two
people that went somewhere, only because they had to, vs car - no person
went somewhere they did not have to.

Well, two people (pilot and co-pilot) plus about thirty flight attendants in
the back

Old January 19th 05, 04:48 PM
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

It will be interesting to see what Airbus does with the A380's
rudder/vertical stabilizer design.

Why? A friend of mine heads the production design group, so I could
ask. but I guess you are hinting at the Queens, NY crash. Well, the
A380 will do exactly the same if you press the pedals left and right
way in rapid succession. So will any Boeing passenger jet.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 19th 05, 05:07 PM
Patrick Mayer

Hi,

sell (actually, something like 160 are sold)

Actually, 149 as of today, including the UPS deal. The Airbus goal was to
sell 150 by mid-2005. I'd bet on them selling one piece in five months - any
deals? :-))

Patrick

Old January 19th 05, 05:22 PM
Simon Elliott

On 19/01/2005, Thomas Borchert wrote:
It will be interesting to see what Airbus does with the A380's
rudder/vertical stabilizer design.

Why? A friend of mine heads the production design group, so I could
ask. but I guess you are hinting at the Queens, NY crash. Well, the
A380 will do exactly the same if you press the pedals left and right
way in rapid succession. So will any Boeing passenger jet.

I was under the impression that in newer FBY aircraft the software
wouldn't allow the pilot to break the rudder or the vertical stabiliser
off.

--
Simon Elliott http://www.ctsn.co.uk