Instrument training

Old May 21st 05, 03:52 PM
Andrew Sarangan

I cannot disagree more. I was in the same boat several years ago. I
wondered why an instrument rating was necessary. Now I am a CFII, and an
active instrument pilot. I fly IFR all the time, business trips, pleasure
trips etc.. Just because someone is asking a basic question does not mean
they are incapable of understanding.

"Clyde Torres" wrote in
:

"xxx" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've got about 6 hours now and find it not the slightest bit
fun.

Can anyone remind me why I'm inflicting this on myself?

The instrument rating is not for everyone, xxx. If you are having
problems understanding why you are getting it, then you are in the
wrong program. It's just like flying VFR - it's not for everyone. You
know what you want and your limitations. You make the decision.

Clyde Torres

Old May 21st 05, 11:23 PM
Matt Whiting

Matt Barrow wrote:
"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Matt Barrow wrote:

Well, not quite as great a thrill as seeing a mountain when you break
out at 250'. :-)

If you're doing it correctly, you should know where the high terrain is

and

there should be no surprise whatsoever.

What part of :-) didn't you understand?

I thought the :-) referred to your use of the word "thrill".

Driving 165MPH on the German Autobahn was "thrilling"; skidding in one of
the curves was not "thrilling". :~(

I guess it depends on how you get your thrills. :-)

Matt
Old May 21st 05, 11:37 PM
Seany

"aluckyguess" wrote in message

"Seany" wrote in message
Oh, I don't know ..... as wonderful as sex is .... flying at any altitude
is better!!!!
Try having sex with humans!

Ouch .......

Oh I do, on a very regular basis.
But lets face it .... an hour at the yoke or a roll in the hay .......

Unless it is someone like Ms Jolie .... it's the yoke 75% of the time I
reckon :-)

Old May 22nd 05, 04:00 PM

I sometimes wonder about using NDB approaches. Believe it or not, many
charter airlines have to rely on NDB's to fly approaches into airports
below VFR. Instrument training is definately challenging but its worth
it if in fact you will use it. The best thing to stay current is
whenever you fly a cross-country, file it as an instrument flight plan
and bring a buddy along with at least a PPC in the same category,
class, etc. as a safety pilot. If its VFR out, great, you have
something besides pilotage to double-check your course and if there's
IMC ahead, then you know you're in the clear because you are already on
the IFR flight plan (excluding, icing, TS or any adverse weather). Even
in VFR, with a safety pilot you can practice Instrument Approaches
under the hood and maintain currency.

Old May 23rd 05, 04:35 AM

xxx wrote:
I've got about 6 hours now and find it not the slightest bit
fun.

Join the club. I'm rated and I still don't consider IFR training to be
"fun." The first 20 or so hours are a bear as you are struggling to
integrate so many pieces together and are spending most of your time
behind the airplane. Stick with it and it will eventually come around.
The key is frequency- if you're flying less than twice a week you're
making it harder for yourself.

Can anyone remind me why I'm inflicting this on myself?

The best reason I know is because you want to use your airplane for
transportation with some reliability. Of course, not every
pilot/airplane is up to every trip, but having the rating is pretty
much a prerequisite for this in much of the US.

Old May 23rd 05, 01:16 PM
Michael

I got my PPL last year in July....age 52..I flew more than 300 hours in
this last year most of it VFR and training hours...just a couple of
weeks ago got my IR. Why did I do it?

On a long cross country from Long Island to Florida earlier this year I
found myself at 6,500 feet over a lovely scattered cloud
layer...somewhere over Maryland. Just sat back listened to ATC and let
the autopilot fly...about 45 minutes later I looked down and it was no
longer scattered...it was now broken...just an occassional glimpse of
the ground...my pulse started to quicken.I had more than 6 hours of
fuel in the Cessna 182 I was flying...but I was looking ahead at a
hundred miles of beautiful on top flying. I called FSS, 'fessed up and
asked how long it would be until I saw a break in the clouds...they
took all the information one would normally give for a flight plan and
passed me off to another ATC with a new Squawk code. The ATC guy came
on and vectored me to an airport where they were reporting 4000
scattered...and let me spiral down through the clouds..very relieved
and promising myself not to do that again

That was 4 months ago...Yesterday I flew with friends for breakfast
from FRG to FOK. The conditions: 1200 feet broken, 10 SM at FRG...900
feet overcast 10SM at FOK....What a pleasure compared to scud running
or asking for SVFR at the desination.

That's why you got your IFR ticket. I recommend you use it frequently
even when you don't have to...it will stop being an infliction and
become a great pleasure and accomplishment

Old May 24th 05, 02:49 AM
Roger

On 23 May 2005 05:16:11 -0700, "Michael" wrote:

I got my PPL last year in July....age 52..I flew more than 300 hours in
this last year most of it VFR and training hours...just a couple of
weeks ago got my IR. Why did I do it?

On a long cross country from Long Island to Florida earlier this year I
found myself at 6,500 feet over a lovely scattered cloud
layer...somewhere over Maryland. Just sat back listened to ATC and let
the autopilot fly...about 45 minutes later I looked down and it was no
longer scattered...it was now broken...just an occassional glimpse of
the ground...my pulse started to quicken.I had more than 6 hours of
fuel in the Cessna 182 I was flying...but I was looking ahead at a
hundred miles of beautiful on top flying. I called FSS, 'fessed up and

What was there to fess up to? You were still legal. Here in the US
you can legally fly VFR over the top. All you need it VFR at the
start and the end. Although I'd want to have VFR conditions under the
clouds as well. Otherwise I'd not be concerned. OTOH exceeding your
comfort factor is a legitimate reason for diverting.

asked how long it would be until I saw a break in the clouds...they
took all the information one would normally give for a flight plan and
passed me off to another ATC with a new Squawk code. The ATC guy came
on and vectored me to an airport where they were reporting 4000
scattered...and let me spiral down through the clouds..very relieved
and promising myself not to do that again

That was 4 months ago...Yesterday I flew with friends for breakfast
from FRG to FOK. The conditions: 1200 feet broken, 10 SM at FRG...900
feet overcast 10SM at FOK....What a pleasure compared to scud running
or asking for SVFR at the desination.

This is a whole different animal than the layer way up there.

That's why you got your IFR ticket. I recommend you use it frequently
even when you don't have to...it will stop being an infliction and
become a great pleasure and accomplishment

To me the IR was a challenge that also gave me more utility out of the
Deb. When traveling at 190 MPH you can have the weather go down hill
in a hurry. :-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old May 24th 05, 04:13 AM
Roger

On 22 May 2005 20:35:57 -0700, wrote:

xxx wrote:
I've got about 6 hours now and find it not the slightest bit
fun.

Join the club. I'm rated and I still don't consider IFR training to be
"fun." The first 20 or so hours are a bear as you are struggling to

I considered it to be a challenge.
Sure it was work, but as a challenge "which I chose" I may not have
considered it fun, but I did find it very rewarding.

Only on very hot days with some very bodacious thermals did I not like
it. OTOH those are about the roughest rides you will find without
getting into something dangerous.

integrate so many pieces together and are spending most of your time
behind the airplane. Stick with it and it will eventually come around.
The key is frequency- if you're flying less than twice a week you're
making it harder for yourself.

Depends on the individual. I preferred once a week and it worked well
although we did go twice in the same week, several times.

Can anyone remind me why I'm inflicting this on myself?

The best reason I know is because you want to use your airplane for
transportation with some reliability. Of course, not every
pilot/airplane is up to every trip, but having the rating is pretty
much a prerequisite for this in much of the US.

Just like climbing the next mountain to see what is on the other side.

Old May 24th 05, 10:43 PM
Michael

It's true I was legally VFR "on top"...but I did "confess" to FSS and
ATC that I didn't have anyway down....maybe I should have just sucked
it up and waited for a clearing...but this was the first really long
cross country (900 miles) I had taken...I was a comfort thing.

Old May 24th 05, 11:04 PM
Jose

It's true I was legally VFR "on top"...but I did "confess" to FSS and
ATC that I didn't have anyway down....maybe I should have just sucked
it up and waited for a clearing.

"Sucking it up" like that gets you dead. If you =think= you are in
trouble (in the air), confess (to the controllers) and take advantage of
what assistance is available.

Jose
r.a.student trimmed, as I don't follow that group
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.