asymetric warfare

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 30th 03, 03:00 PM
Fred J. McCall

Bernardz wrote:

:In article ,
says...
: Bernardz wrote:
:
: :In article ,
: says...
: :
: : We've now added invisible anti-aircraft installations
: :
: :Never said it would be invisible.
: :
: :What I said is that because there will not be time to clear the anti-
: :aircraft equipment in this case the planes would be flying into them.
:
: And why is that?
:
:Missiles and artillery are hitting the city. We must move immediately.

So, as the Elbonian leader, upon the start of a US invasion you are
going to missile your own people on the presumption that US forces
will commit suicide to save your people from you? Pretty unlikely.

: :The closest example I can think of is Israel in Yom Kippur war were
: :because of the immediate demands of the war meant that Israeli planes
: :early in the war had to fly into very dangerous regions.
:
: That's because they were trying to blunt an attack on themselves.
: What is going to give the US such time-urgency in an invasion of
: Elbonia that they won't take the time to clear the obviously visible
: air defences first?
:
:As above

As above, indeed. Your anti-aircraft defenses, not being invisible,
will be taken out BEFORE the US goes into your cities, so you must be
assuming that launching all your magic cruise missiles at your own
defenseless civilians will someone convince the US to endanger its own
people. Not likely.

: : and lots of deep
: : caves to the mix with the magic technology cruise missile.
: :
: :These sort of cruise missiles have been available for years.
:
: Oh, really? So where can I buy a few thousand of these $10k cruise
: missiles,
:
:I would suggest that any medium size country could put something
:together.

And I would suggest that said medium sized country would need a fair
number of wizards to produce that much magic.

: with their precision guidance, terminal radar homing, spread
: spectrum datalinks, etc?
:
:To hit a city large you don't need any of this. All a V1 had was a
:simple revolution meter. Of those not shot down half hit London. I am
:sure a rather simple device could now be constructed that could do a
:better job.

So your answer to US invasion is what is essentially a random missile
attack on your own cities? And you think this will stop a US
invasion? And of course, all third world nations have cities the size
of London and its environs.

I will note that most folks think that V1 attacks on London were a
waste of effort for Germany that could have been applied elsewhere. I
will further note that for the thousands of V1 and V2 weapons fired at
Britain, relatively few people were killed by them. And yet you
somehow expect all these installations to go unnoticed before you get
invaded and these weapons to somehow effectively target US forces in
preference to the vast majority of civilians in cities (assuming, of
course, that the US forces stay in your cities rather than building
their own basecamps) or else that attacking your own cities as the US
comes in will somehow convince the US forces to simply suicide.

: : You have no idea how silly all this sounds to people who actually
: : build weapons.
: :
: :Tell me?
:
: Very.
:
: Now, if you want to change the rules of the game and play 'North
: Korea', that's a different matter.

At this point I have to ask - what ARE you smoking?

territory."
--G. Behn