RNAV vectors

Old December 18th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Stan Prevost

Default RNAV vectors

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
.net...

"Stan Prevost" wrote in message

Of course there is something to intercept. There is the final approach
course. By definition, it extends southward from the runway on a course
of 182 degrees forever, to SENNA and beyond.

RNAV/GPS equipment does not need a navaid signal overlying the FAC to
allow me to navigate it. I can intercept and track that FAC with my
GNS430 GPS, and it will even draw a magenta line for me on the map.

You're mistaken.

About what?

Old December 18th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

In article ,
Sam Spade wrote:

Stan Prevost wrote:

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

The pilot can go to OBS mode and select FRZZN as the active waypoint, then
select bearing 002 mag to FRZZN.

You don't have to use OBS mode, at least on the GNS430. Use DIRECT TO,
then
set the course. This way draws a line on the map, OBS doesn't.

That won't work with the GNS400/500 series. Doing it the way I describe
will provide a course line. I don't have a clue about the 480. ;-)

On the 480, I would hit the VTF soft key (assuming I've already got the
approach loaded with some arbitrary IAF selected). At that point, the box
would create a segment from [a point 50(*) miles 182 degrees from FRZZN] to
FRZZN, make that the active leg (i.e. draw it in magenta on the map), and
go into suspend mode. Assuming I was given a good vector, flew it
correctly, and had sufficient fuel, I would eventually intercept that
segment. At that time the box would automagically come out of suspend
mode. When I reached FRZZN, it would sequence to FRZZN-MAP36 being the
active leg.

(*) I think it's 50 miles. Could be something else, but it's long enough
that it's never been an issue for me.
Old December 18th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Sam Spade writes:

That won't work with the GNS400/500 series.

Direct-To with any type of fix will put a magenta route line on the
map (and potentially other instruments that pull information from the
GPS).

Old December 18th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Stan Prevost

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Sam Spade writes:

That won't work with the GNS400/500 series.

Direct-To with any type of fix will put a magenta route line on the
map (and potentially other instruments that pull information from the
GPS).

The point, though, was to have the magenta line along the final approach
course, not on the direct path between the present position and the fix.

Old December 18th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Stan Prevost

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
k.net...

"Stan Prevost" wrote in message

You don't have to use OBS mode, at least on the GNS430.

That would imply that there are variations in the way different model GPS
receivers perform.

Use DIRECT TO, then set the course. This way draws a line on the map,
OBS doesn't.

DIRECT TO where? The clearance was to turn ten degrees and join the final
approach course.

Set the GPS for Direct To SENNA course 002. Then turn ten degrees and join
the final approach course. Complies with the clearance.

Old December 18th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

In article ,
"Stan Prevost" wrote:

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
k.net...

"Stan Prevost" wrote in message

You don't have to use OBS mode, at least on the GNS430.

That would imply that there are variations in the way different model GPS
receivers perform.

Use DIRECT TO, then set the course. This way draws a line on the map,
OBS doesn't.

DIRECT TO where? The clearance was to turn ten degrees and join the final
approach course.

Set the GPS for Direct To SENNA course 002. Then turn ten degrees and join
the final approach course. Complies with the clearance.

Stan,

Just curious why you picked SENNA and not FRZZN as the waypoint. From
"Turn left 10 degrees to intercept the final approach course", I'd assume
I'd intercept outside of FRZZN, but perhaps not outside of SENNA. I would
think -D- FRZZN with a course of 002 would make more sense.
Old December 18th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Stan Prevost

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Set the GPS for Direct To SENNA course 002. Then turn ten degrees and
join
the final approach course. Complies with the clearance.

Stan,

Just curious why you picked SENNA and not FRZZN as the waypoint. From
"Turn left 10 degrees to intercept the final approach course", I'd assume
I'd intercept outside of FRZZN, but perhaps not outside of SENNA. I would
think -D- FRZZN with a course of 002 would make more sense.

In Steven's original scenario, the intercept was way south, so I didn't
worry about it too much and didn't give it too much thought, as it wasn't
important to the point under discussion. I don't see any reason that FRZZN
wouldn't work, although having SENNA as a waypoint provides a definite point
where you are established on a published segment of the approach and can
begin descent in accordance with the published procedure. Your clearance
will also contain an altitude to maintain until becoming established on a
published segment. If you are close enough that you might intercept inside
SENNA, the TO waypoint will switch to FRZZN when you pass by SENNA, serving
the same purpose.

Old December 18th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Manes

Isn't this an RNAV approach?

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0612/09092R35.PDF

Mark

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
.net...

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

Sure. And what's so cool about the internet today is that not only can I
show you the chart for the approach
(http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0612/00286VDG24.PDF), I can also show you how
we
flew it
(http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N...953Z/KHPN/KPOU)
. Now all we need are the ATC tapes and a webcam sitting on the pilot's
shoulder :-)

On the other hand, I'm not sure if a "... or GPS ..." approach is quite
the
same thing as a "RNAV GPS ..." approach.

No, RNAV approaches have RNAV in the name.

Old December 18th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Stan Prevost writes:

The point, though, was to have the magenta line along the final approach
course, not on the direct path between the present position and the fix.

On the GNS530, you can insert a waypoint into your currently active
flight plan. If you put it after the current fix, it will be inserted
in your current route from your last waypoint. I don't have it in
front of me so I don't recall the exact sequence, but you can put
stuff in and take it out on the fly.

Approaches are different, though, since changing them seems to mutate
them into regular routes. I don't use approaches and the like too
much on the GPS, since it's harder to get it working than to fly it by
hand (or by autopilot).

Old December 18th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Use DIRECT TO, then set the course. This way draws a line on the map, OBS
doesn't.

DIRECT TO where? The clearance was to turn ten degrees and join the final
approach course.

Any point on the final approach course. One of the 480 "DIRECT" modes
is to set a course to/from an the thing you are going "DIRECT" to.
It's one of the options along with "enter a holding pattern at that
point". You're prompted for the course.

The VTF button is a much cleaner way of doing this.