Impact of Eurofighters in the Middle East

Old September 15th 03, 10:02 AM
L'acrobat

"Paul Austin" wrote in message

I'm really unkeen about an AAM that locks on after launch. Both the
Python and ASRAAM airframes have much better kinematics than AIM-9X
with comparable (identical in the case of ASRAAM) seekers. The USAF
seems to see little utility in long range, which is odd.

It has been argued that the USAF has avoided longer ranged missiles because
of the fear that they could be used as a justification to cut funding for
F-22

Old September 15th 03, 11:49 AM
TJ

wrote in message
news
the Pakis did not fly against the IAF at any time. the story stating it

was
nothing more then some chest puffing BS......

You have already informed the group that Iranian F-14s have been grounded
for years. Pakistani Air Force pilots did indeed fly combat missions against
Israel. The Pakistani Air Force recognised those pilots along with the
various Arab nations that they flew with. There is more than one Pakistani
combat pilot who was honoured with bravery medals, from Syria for example,
for participating in combat. Are all those Pakistani combat vetrans of those
Arab-Israeli wars simply lying in their recounts of participation? Take your
blinkers off! There is far too much research been done and interviews
conducted to verify Pakistani pilot participation.

TJ

Old September 15th 03, 01:31 PM
Kevin Brooks

wrote in message . ..
who cares,

Most do.

As I said read Janes, they have it all,

Translation: "I got caught in a falsehood, and knowing I can't support
it with real evidence, I'll try to bluff by dragging in Janes..."

--
"I have seen the worst that man can do.and I can still laugh loudly"

That laughing you are hearing is from the gallery of folks who realize
that your statement regarding Iranian F-14's having been grounded for
years is utter bovine excrement.

Brooks

R.J. Goldman

http://www.usidfvets.com
"phil hunt" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 14:59:40 -0400,

wrote:
check with Janes.........

Can you bev more specific?

BTW, please don't top-post, it makes it hard to read and is
against Usenet conventionds.

--
A: top posting

Q: what's the most annoying thing about Usenet?

Old September 15th 03, 01:57 PM
Keith Willshaw

"L'acrobat" wrote in message

"Paul Austin" wrote in message

I'm really unkeen about an AAM that locks on after launch. Both the
Python and ASRAAM airframes have much better kinematics than AIM-9X
with comparable (identical in the case of ASRAAM) seekers. The USAF
seems to see little utility in long range, which is odd.

It has been argued that the USAF has avoided longer ranged missiles

because
of the fear that they could be used as a justification to cut funding for
F-22

Huh ?

How would that work ?

Keith

Old September 15th 03, 06:38 PM
Chad Irby

In article ,
"Tom Cooper" wrote:

I find it estranging that you put yourself into a position of representing
anybody but you here, and then, based on "educated guessing" about "what we
all know" about the Arab air forces, you conclude that the Saudis have a
poor air force "too"....

How much do you actually know about their air force, if you don't mind me
asking?

Read my other posts. Nobody outside of the Saudi press thinks the Saudi
air force is any good.

Since you're the expert, give us some of your sources for claiming that
they're any different from any *other* military in the Arab world.

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old September 15th 03, 07:39 PM
phil hunt

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 01:29:51 -0400, wrote:
who cares,

*plonk*

--
A: top posting

Q: what's the most annoying thing about Usenet?

Old September 15th 03, 07:42 PM
phil hunt

On 15 Sep 2003 05:31:50 -0700, Kevin Brooks wrote:
wrote in message . ..
who cares,

Most do.

As I said read Janes, they have it all,

Translation: "I got caught in a falsehood, and knowing I can't support
it with real evidence, I'll try to bluff by dragging in Janes..."

rgoldman is a bull****ter. Furthermore, out of either rudeness or
stupidity, he won't format his posts so others can easily read them.
Consequently, I won't be reading anythinmg more of his.

--
A: top posting

Q: what's the most annoying thing about Usenet?

Old September 15th 03, 07:45 PM
Nele_VII

Tom Cooper wrote in message ...

wrote in message
.. .
who cares,

As I said read Janes, they have it all,

As a matter of fact, if at all, the Jane's has the least useful information
about the Iranian Air Force: their recently published book of "World Air
Forces" is very poor to this topic.

To keep the long story short: no, it wasn't the "Irangate" nor Oliver

North,
but many other factors which kept the Iranian F-14-fleet afloat, in working
order, and extremely useful and dangerous. Approx 60 airframes remain
serviceable: while a number is circled through storage, so to better
distribute the number of hours flown per airframe, and also always have an
attrition reserve in peace, the IACI (Iranian Aircraft Industries) and

other
Iranian companies, as well as the so-called "Self-Sufficiency Jihad Team"

of
the IRIAF - meanwhile developed the capability to produce no less but 95%

of
spare parts for their Tomcats. Consequently, the fleet not only massively
participated in the IPGW against Iraq (scoring at least 130 kills against
Iraqi MiG-21/23/25s, Mirage F.1EQs, Su-20/22s, and Tu-22s), but is still
very much active and operational.

Hm. How was it from Iraqi side? I've read Somewhere that Mig 21Bis and
MiGs-23ML(?) took heavy toll of Iranian AF (mainly F-5s and F-4s, but also
got some F-14 in a dogfight).

As a matter of fact, just last year the Iranians started production of a
reverse-engineered AIM-54, which even the USN considers equal to its latest
AIM-54Cs.

Hmm... how it was effective against 3m head-on RCS of MiG-21? During tests
of AIM-54A, one -missed- the drone because its 5m-RCS reflector failed...

Cheers,

Nele

NULLA ROSA SINE SPINA