What is carrier beside USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) at San Diego ?

Old January 8th 04, 04:36 AM
Dong

Default What is carrier beside USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) at San Diego ?

During my recent visit to San Diego on Jan 1, There is another carrier
at nearby pier. I am quite interested to learn more about it. Thank
you.
Old January 8th 04, 03:01 PM
BOB URZ

Dong wrote:

During my recent visit to San Diego on Jan 1, There is another carrier
at nearby pier. I am quite interested to learn more about it. Thank
you.

USS MIDWAY?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...732EST0106.DTL

Bob

Old January 8th 04, 03:30 PM
Krztalizer

USS MIDWAY?

Midway just got there - he's talking about the second Nimitz that was/is still
parked with the other CVN - Midway is pierside at the old carrier pier, with
some kinda oiler or mership (I dont notice the differences any more...).

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Donate your memories - write a note on the back and send your old photos to a
reputable museum, don't take them with you when you're gone.

Old January 8th 04, 07:50 PM
fudog50

Since there are no the pictures, can't really say, what was the
timeframe? But Nimitz and Stennis are homeported there, and other west
coast carriers pull in from time to time for liberty and
onloads/offloads, (CQ Dets, JTFEX/COMPTUEX, etc.) I have been there
pierside numerous times on the Lincoln , last time was Feb. 01 while
on a CQ Det.

Old January 8th 04, 11:20 PM
Krztalizer

Since there are no the pictures, can't really say, what was the
timeframe?

Original poster was talking about whoever is wearing the bug tent at NORIS
right now ( the original question predated when the Midway arrived).

The same two active duty CVs have been inport for at least the last few weeks;
fairly certain - I drive past them daily.

Old January 9th 04, 07:14 AM
Dong

So the one with white bug tent is USS NIMITZ (CVN 68)?

According to http://www.airpac.navy.mil/tours/ :

SAN DIEGO:
USS JOHN C. STENNIS (CVN 74) is currently in a maintenance
availability and due to the security posture at Naval Air Station
North Island, public tours are not being conducted.

USS NIMITZ (CVN 68): Due to the security posture at Naval Air Station
North Island, public tours are not being conducted.

USS CONSTELLATION (CV 64) is currently deployed.

The three aircraft carriers are home ported at Naval Air Station North
Island (NASNI) in Coronado, CA.

NASNI is not open to the general public.

EVERETT:
USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN (CVN 72) is currently deployed.

BREMERTON:
Due to the security posture at Naval Station Bremerton, public tours
of USS CARL VINSON (CVN 70) are not being conducted.

Old January 9th 04, 06:36 PM
Krztalizer

So the one with white bug tent is USS NIMITZ (CVN 68)?

I wouldn't doubt it. Its definitely A Nimitz and if all the others are
accounted for, its likely to be THE Nimitz. Lots of folks in San Diego
wandering what that "big white building" is across the bay. The Midway looks
like a lil toy next to the two CVNs - but we all know better: Midway is a
fighting ship that has at long last earned its rest...

v/r
Gordon
(about 30 landing on Midway)
Old January 9th 04, 06:58 PM
fudog50

while all ship movements are sensitive, i can only say you are Wrong
about connie and lincoln....connie has been decommed (it sure ain't
deployed) and lincoln is in bremerton, (it sure ain't deployed.) the
link you refer to was last updated over a year ago, OOPs!!