LXNAV flarmMouse

Old January 4th 13, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DC[_5_]

Default LXNAV flarmMouse

http://lxnav.com/index.php?option=co...article&id=243

Old January 4th 13, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

Interesting product. No manual as yet?

Features: Standalone flarm • builtin GPS antenna • micro SD card • IGC
flight recorder • extremely small dimensions • Power input 6-16 V DC •
Power consumption typical 30mA • Weight 40 g • Compatible with all
flarm indicators (12V)

Why is it called a "Standalone FLARM" if you need a FLARM indicator
(like an Oudie)?
Old January 4th 13, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn[_2_]

It's called "Standalone" because they make full products such as the
LX8000 where Flarm can be built in. The big question is if it is
compatible with US frequencies used by PowerFlarm.

Charlie

Old January 4th 13, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DC[_5_]

"JohnDeRosa" wrote in message

Why is it called a "Standalone FLARM" if you need a FLARM indicator
(like an Oudie)?

Maybe it doesn't need a FLARM indicator if it has it's own sound alarm and
flashing diodes? - just speculating
I think we have to wait for more details.

Old January 4th 13, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DC[_5_]

"cfinn" wrote in message

It's called "Standalone" because they make full products such as the
LX8000 where Flarm can be built in. The big question is if it is
compatible with US frequencies used by PowerFlarm.

Charlie

At WGC 2012 in Uvalde, older FLARM devices brought from Europe worked
perfectly well with PowerFLARM. There was a FLARM firmware update released
just before the worlds to allow for automatic switching of frequencies
depending on the region. I suspect that the same applies to this little
gadget.

Old January 4th 13, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Friday, January 4, 2013 8:46:30 AM UTC-8, DC wrote:
"JohnDeRosa" wrote in message

Why is it called a "Standalone FLARM" if you need a FLARM indicator

(like an Oudie)?

Maybe it doesn't need a FLARM indicator if it has it's own sound alarm and

flashing diodes? - just speculating

I think we have to wait for more details.

Looks really nice, but does not seem to have Powerflarm capabilities such as ADS-B and PCAS.

Ramy
Old January 4th 13, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Friday, January 4, 2013 3:09:51 PM UTC-8, Ramy wrote:
On Friday, January 4, 2013 8:46:30 AM UTC-8, DC wrote: "JohnDeRosa" wrote in message .googlegroups.com... Why is it called a "Standalone FLARM" if you need a FLARM indicator (like an Oudie)? Maybe it doesn't need a FLARM indicator if it has it's own sound alarm and flashing diodes? - just speculating I think we have to wait for more details. Looks really nice, but does not seem to have Powerflarm capabilities such as ADS-B and PCAS. Ramy

It is also not optomized nor certified for the US frequency.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old January 5th 13, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Friday, January 4, 2013 3:21:37 PM UTC-8, Richard wrote:
On Friday, January 4, 2013 3:09:51 PM UTC-8, Ramy wrote:

On Friday, January 4, 2013 8:46:30 AM UTC-8, DC wrote: "JohnDeRosa" wrote in message .googlegroups.com... Why is it called a "Standalone FLARM" if you need a FLARM indicator (like an Oudie)? Maybe it doesn't need a FLARM indicator if it has it's own sound alarm and flashing diodes? - just speculating I think we have to wait for more details. Looks really nice, but does not seem to have Powerflarm capabilities such as ADS-B and PCAS. Ramy

It is also not optomized nor certified for the US frequency.

Richard

www.craggyaero.com

Nor FCC approved...

Darryl
Old January 7th 13, 12:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

An integrated pressure altitude sensor (barometer) is required for IGC approval and there is no mention of one being present which is a pity.

I can see it's usefulness in club gliders where a pilot needs a removable FLARM sensor for input into a gliding computer (PDA/PNA) without the bulk of a separate dedicated FLARM display.
What I'd really like is a portable LX8080 (FLARM + IGC approved logger + GPS + flight computer).
Old January 7th 13, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

On Monday, January 7, 2013 12:23:44 PM UTC, Surge wrote:
An integrated pressure altitude sensor (barometer) is required for IGC approval and there is no mention of one being present which is a pity.

I can see it's usefulness in club gliders where a pilot needs a removable FLARM sensor for input into a gliding computer (PDA/PNA) without the bulk of a separate dedicated FLARM display.

What I'd really like is a portable LX8080 (FLARM + IGC approved logger + GPS + flight computer).

It explicitly states that it is an approved IGC flight recorder. I would say it must have an integral pressure sensor meeting the IGC requirements. If so, all that needs to be added to meet your spec is a PNA such as the Vertica v2/GliderGuider/Oudie 2 Lite running LK8000 or XC Soar.