P-51's in movie "Empire of the Sun"

Old March 22nd 04, 03:54 PM
Krztalizer

I think its a 108. Dern few Bestmanns around. Anyone know for sure?

It was in fact a Bestmann or derivative. The key is the fixed gear as the Bf
108 retracts. There are or were then several Bestmann's flying in Europe and
they were also then in production in Egypt as military trainers. Even more
recently the type was offered for sale as the Aeropony with a modern
horizontally opposed engine.

Thanks, John. I knew I'd be wrong.

v/r
Gordon
Old March 22nd 04, 04:00 PM
Krztalizer

Let me urge you to get in touch with a museum to
arrange for the transfer of that "trash" so that it doesn't go into a
landfill when you're no longer around to enjoy it.

My garage is divided into "Give to San Diego Aerospace Museum" and "Give to my
kids". My kids are fully up to speed on what to do, no matter what Mrs. Tossit
tries to do. )

I would say the same to others in this newsgroup who have old "trash"
that might be valuable to the historical record.

absolutely! In fact, I would urge everyone here to go through their 'trash'
and see if there was anything they felt like letting go of, and send it to
their local air museum NOW. Besides, its a real charge to see some of your
former bits on display; until recently, the San Diego Aerospace Museum had my
Soviet flight gear and the stuff I brought out of Mogadishu on display - for
years I got comments on it.

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Its always better to lose AN engine, than THE engine.

Old March 22nd 04, 04:02 PM
Krztalizer

For an interesting story about flying in ground effect,
look for the remarks by the (NASA?) pilot who flew the Canadian flying
saucer.

I have a report on that testing - the sign off officer for the report was
Chuck Yeager! I keep forgetting to get him to sign it.

Great to see you, Mary.

yf

Old March 22nd 04, 04:40 PM
QDurham

"quasi-lurk status."
Wow! Contageous?

Quent
Old March 22nd 04, 07:50 PM
Errol Cavit

nt (Krztalizer) wrote in message ...
snip

Also didn't Donald
Pleasence get shot after James Gardner crashed theirs in 'The Great Escape'?

I thought that was a Bucker Bu181 Bestmann (or a derivative), but I
might be wrong.

As Captain Tenneal would say, "Well, you're wrong." (Sticking my neck out
here) I think its a 108. Dern few Bestmanns around. Anyone know for sure?

Anyone know which movies this Bf108 was in?

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/bf108.html

Errol Cavit | "I long for the day when we can match the Germans in the
sky, 'plane for 'plane. When that day dawns, Germany is beaten. We
know by experience that we can whack his land forces, tanks included,
any day of the week." Private L. A. Diamond, 23 NZ Batt, 1941
Old March 23rd 04, 05:01 AM
Regnirps

I have some pictures in bound issues of "Impact" that show a bomb from a
leading plane hit the water and skip then penetrate the wing of the second
plane. Photos are from number three as number two goes into the palm trees and
the moored Japanese ship is left untouched.

-- Charlie Springer
Old March 23rd 04, 11:38 AM
M. H. Greaves

Yes i believe it was in "Von Ryans express", it was in "633 sqdn", "mosquito
sqdn" these are the ones i know of!
regards. mark.
om...

Old March 24th 04, 02:22 AM
JDupre5762

The talk of the flyable 'real' 109s & Hispanos has me wondering. Are
there now or were there, 'recently', (30-or so years) not counting
Israel's postwar use, any flyable Czech Avia S99s, the 109s with the
Junkers Jumo? I've read they were they nastiest of 109 variations.

Israel had one aircraft aboard a transport that got siezed in 1948 in Cyprus or
Rhodes and wasn't released until about 1950. By then they had given up on the
few remaining ones they had. I am not sure if they flew this last one or not.

The Czechs started to get Soviet equipment in the late 1940's so I doubt they
had any flying for long after that.

If one could be had it would make a very cool warbird but it would take an even
cooler pilot to fly it.

John Dupre'