OT Concorde farewell

Old October 25th 03, 04:03 AM

"George Z. Bush" wrote:

"Mike Marron" wrote in message
.. .
"George Z. Bush" wrote:

PS - No more SST supersonic traffic.....it's the end of an era, and sad

because
of it. She was truly a unique bird.

Oh I dunno George, it ain't all that big of a deal in my humble
opinion. Perhaps now would be a good time to repost something
I forwarded to the NG a while back. Some of you have probably
seen it already, but for those whom haven't...enjoy!

I hadn't seen that, but I certainly did enjoy it. It was kind of a flier's
version of "be careful what you pray for, you just might get it!" Thanks.

George Z.

Yes...and 'greener pastures' come to mind too.
--

-Gord.
Old October 27th 03, 10:52 PM
David Brower

"Nele_VII" writes:

Well, there was Concorde for 30 years, testing with Tu-144LL... I think the
withdrawal of the Concorde is premature, especially while sucessor is still
on the drawing board...

It is sad that profit, rather than tecnology advance, runs our lives. If
something thinks that isn't so, than explain why we still drive 100-year-old
patented piston-engine cars instead of Wankel or turbine-powered-ones... oil
price, of course (and please, no patronising about unreliability of
Wankel-motors, it would have taken one or two years for Mercedes or the
simmilar company to make it durable and reliable-or even more-than current
piston engines)!

You are trolling, I'm sure, but I can't not nibble at the bait.

Economics runs our lives - "it's the economy, stupid!".

Technology can advance quality of life when it can do something people
want at a cost they are willing to pay. There's no successor to
Concorde on the drawaing boards, because no one is willing to pay for
it. We are not using Wankels or turbines for automotive transport (in
large numbers) because they don't seem to have any economic advantages
over piston engines. Their advantages (power/weight) are mostly
irrelevant in a road vehicle.

[I have been wondering if a tiny turbine would be a good thing as
a generator power source in a hybrid vehicle, but have no source
for numbers. The mettalurgy in turbines makes cost problematic].

If you want to talk about technology changes for road vehicles, thing
hydrogen instead of fossil fuel. Far more visionary than Wankels and
turbines, and at this point more likely to happen.

-dB

--
Butterflies tell me to say:
"The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily

Old October 28th 03, 08:17 PM
Richard Brooks

Shame they didn't film the Concorde doing a roll ?

Once the pilot had taken it one way, he invited his co-pilot to take it
back the other way.

This has also been done with the Boeing 747!

Richard.

Flight Simulator 2004 pro 4CDs, Eurowings 2004, Sea Plane Adventures, Concorde, HONG KONG 2004, World Airlines, other Addons, Sky Ranch, Jumbo 747, Greece 2000 [include El.Venizelos], Polynesia 2000, Real Airports, Private Wings, FLITESTAR V8.5 - JEP vvcd Home Built 0 September 22nd 04 07:16 PM
Petition for keeping one Concorde flying Paul Sengupta Home Built 95 February 17th 04 06:38 PM
Concorde Alex A Military Aviation 13 October 1st 03 09:13 PM
Yokota Air Base bids fond farewell to C-9s Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 8th 03 08:55 PM
FA: Like to own a REAL piece of a Concorde?? Ann Eccles Aviation Marketplace 0 July 18th 03 07:01 PM