Good feeling landing / 200th hour

Old December 12th 03, 01:40 PM
A Lieberman

Jeff wrote:

I would give that plane back to who ever he got it from...

Hey Jeff,

When I bought the plane, it had 1940 hours on the airframe and engine
(1976 Sundowner). I bought it KNOWING that major overhaul was in my
future. I just didn't know how soon in my future it would be. I bought
it for 38K. It was well equipped avionics wise.

Because of the low time hours (and the fact it was only flown 20 hours
in the prior 3 years!), that my problems were a result of LACK of
usage. Grease, lubrication drying out, settling and so on.

Now that I have had the overhaul and hopefully got the gremlins out, the
expenses are stabilizing. I fly 2 times a week, weather permitting, so
parts get well lubed now *smile*.

Allen
Old December 12th 03, 03:24 PM
A Lieberman

tony roberts wrote:

Good decision. Interesting that your insurance went up 20% AFTER major
overhaul. I guess that there has to be some logic in that - the problem
is in finding it

Hi Tony,

Value of the plane goes up after major overhaul. It was insured for 38K
before overhaul, I was able to bump up the insured value to 48K after
overhaul.

I chalk it up to learning experiences. Though parachuting never really
crossed my mind, as it defies my logic as to jumping from a perfectly
working plane *smile*.

But what if it is on fire or the engine just quit You wouldn't jump?

Ahh, but then this would not be a "perfectly working plane". Actually,
if the engine just quit, hopefully, I still would have a rather
expensive glider, albeit heavy glider, but something to absorb the
impact between my carcass and the ground. Since I fly lower altitudes,
I don't know if there would be enough time for a chute to open.

It's fun and good training. I don't think that I'll ever use it
intentionally in a 172H - but if I'm ever stuck and it gets me back to
the ground safely then it was a good investment.

Also helps on insurance premiums so I am told. I do intend to fly
actual, as I will be planning some serious distant cross country trips
that I just can't do VFR, especially this time of the year. I live in
Mississippi, and want to plan trips to Ohio. When it's sunny here, it's
snowing there, and when it's sunny there, it's raining here.

Allen
Old December 12th 03, 03:29 PM
Gene Seibel

Sometimes it's a dual and sometimes it's a duel. Sounds like you've
had some interesting moments. I've had a few myself over the last 27
years and can identify. Keep enjoying the adventures and handling the
challenges like you have been.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

09/29/2002 First Duel Cross Country

Old December 12th 03, 05:15 PM
aaronw

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:25:26 -0800, A Lieberman
wrote:

Yossarian wrote:

How did you go through all your training without ever stopping at a
controlled airport?

Hi Yossarian,

All my training at controlled airports were touch and goes. My first
"full stop" was after I got my pilot's license. The reason I put this
in, was that I had to ask for progressive taxi instructions.

Not that I'm trying to make life difficult, but:

§ 61.109 Aeronautical experience.

(5) 10 hours of solo flight time in a single-engine airplane,
consisting of at least --

(iii) Three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop (with each
landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with
an operating control tower.

aw
Old December 12th 03, 07:33 PM
A Lieberman

aaronw wrote:

Not that I'm trying to make life difficult, but:

§ 61.109 Aeronautical experience.

(5) 10 hours of solo flight time in a single-engine airplane,
consisting of at least --

(iii) Three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop (with each
landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with
an operating control tower.

No problem with what you say Aaron!

I learned about this after I did my long cross country trip. Needless
to say, the logbook doesn't have a place for full stop vs touch and
goes, just landings at controlled airports in which the DE looks for.

Allen
Old December 12th 03, 08:30 PM
Robert Simpson

"A Lieberman" wrote in message
: On my 200th hour, I had my best feel good landing. Been interesting
: look back on my log book and see how much I have learned / experienced
: in the past 2+ years / 200 hours. Summary as shown below
:
: 09/29/2001 First flight!
: 06/30/2002 First Solo
: 09/29/2002 First Duel Cross Country
: 10/14/2002 First Solo Cross Country
: 01/26/2003 Passed Check Ride
: 01/27/2003 First passenger taken
: 02/02/2003 Checkout ride in my Beech Sundowner
: 02/24/2003 Night landing, no landing light
: 02/23/2003 First passenger taken on a cross country trip
: 03/09/2003 First night cross country solo
: 04/11/2003 First full stop at a controlled airport
: 04/18/2003 Caught VFR on top, diverted to another airport
: 04/19/2003 2nd Diversion due to strong headwinds for fuel
: 05/18/2003 Vacuum pump failure during night flight
: 07/19/2003 Engine failure - declared inflight emergency to ATC
: 09/22/2003 Test flight for engine break in
: 11/12/2003 Electrical fire (no flames, just burning wires and smoke)
: 12/11/2003 Runway closure, landed on taxiway
:

This is a newbe question from someone who is thinking about beginning
flight training.

I see it took about 9 months from first flight to solo, 7 more months to
the check ride and about 26 months total to accumulate 200 hours and
begin IFR instruction. Is this pretty close to the time it usually takes
to get to these milestones?

Old December 12th 03, 08:45 PM
Casey Wilson

"Robert Simpson" wrote in message

This is a newbe question from someone who is thinking about beginning
flight training.

I see it took about 9 months from first flight to solo, 7 more months to
the check ride and about 26 months total to accumulate 200 hours and
begin IFR instruction. Is this pretty close to the time it usually takes
to get to these milestones?

There is certainly a fatigue factor involved -- and sometimes a student
(in any curriculum) needs some time to absorb or digest the information
gained by a lesson. More practically, it depends on how much money and time
you have available and -- to an unmeasurable extent -- how fast you learn
the material presented.

Old December 12th 03, 10:34 PM
gross_arrow

Yossarian wrote:

How did you go through all your training without ever stopping at a
controlled airport?

Hi Yossarian,

All my training at controlled airports were touch and goes. My first
"full stop" was after I got my pilot's license. The reason I put this
in, was that I had to ask for progressive taxi instructions.

Allen

well, i guess it's too late to yank your ticket now :-), but you
didn't
really meet all the requirements for private if the above is true:

61.109
(a) For an airplane single-engine rating....
(5) 10 hours of solo flight time in a single-engine airplane,
consisting of at least --
(iii) Three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop (with each
landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with
an operating control tower.

that's from the online fars

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/c...4cfr61_00.html

which you may argue are newer than 2001. however, i have a '97
printed
copy in front of my which has the same paragraph except for the
parenthetical
phrase, meaning "full stop" was in as far back as '97. (my memory
tells me it
was in a lot longer ago than that, but i don't have an older copy to
substantiate
that.)

not being critical (really, your cfi was to blame for sending you up
with
this deficiency, not you), but that's probably why yossarian asked.

mho,

g_a
Old December 12th 03, 10:48 PM
A Lieberman

Robert Simpson wrote:

This is a newbe question from someone who is thinking about beginning
flight training.

I see it took about 9 months from first flight to solo, 7 more months to
the check ride and about 26 months total to accumulate 200 hours and
begin IFR instruction. Is this pretty close to the time it usually takes
to get to these milestones?

Robert,

For me, a lot of factors came into play for the time frame on training.

The biggest factor was the availability of my flight instructor. He
only tought on weekends. So, I flew basically once a week. Weather is
a major factor, throw in marginal visual flight rules, high winds, and
training is pretty much cancelled.

After going solo, I was able to fly more often, but then the cost factor
goes up. Each lesson gets more expensive as you now enter the stage of
going airport to airport (cross country trips).

Figure on 100 to 125 an hour for airplane and instructor fee. This
varies greatly geographically! I now own my own airplane, so the cost
factor of flying has decreased some overall.

If you have an instructor that teaches throughout the week, and you have
the money, the time frame will be significantly shorter.

Hope this helps.

Allen
Old December 12th 03, 11:42 PM
Jeff

that many problems that close together would worry me, there are some people
who can go very long time before having the amount of inflight problems you
had ..at least you know your emergency skills are good