Astro Nav Domes

Old July 16th 04, 02:09 AM
Ed Majden

Default Astro Nav Domes

Back in the old days, 1940-50s some aircraft were equipped with glass
astro navigation domes used to take astro sightings. I am trying to find
one of these glass domes in very good condition for an astronomy project.
Does anyone know where I can find one at reasonable cost? The dome will
have to be in excellent condition as it will be used to weather protect an
all-sky video camera that will be used to photograph meteors and auroras.
Back in the 1960's these were sold by surplus dealers but I have not seen
one for sale since then. Any help finding one would be most appreciated.
Ed Majden
West Coast Bolide Detection Station
Courtenay, B.C. CANADA

Old July 16th 04, 02:40 AM
B2431

Date: 7/15/2004 8:09 PM Central Daylight Time
Back in the old days, 1940-50s some aircraft were equipped with glass
astro navigation domes used to take astro sightings. I am trying to find
one of these glass domes in very good condition for an astronomy project.
Does anyone know where I can find one at reasonable cost? The dome will
have to be in excellent condition as it will be used to weather protect an
all-sky video camera that will be used to photograph meteors and auroras.
Back in the 1960's these were sold by surplus dealers but I have not seen
one for sale since then. Any help finding one would be most appreciated.
Ed Majden
West Coast Bolide Detection Station
Courtenay, B.C. CANADA

They show up on e-bay occassionally. Also Edmund Scientific (www.edsci.com) has
acrylic domes.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old July 16th 04, 04:26 AM
N329DF

Back in the old days, 1940-50s some aircraft were equipped with glass
astro navigation domes used to take astro sightings. I am trying to find
one of these glass domes in very good condition for an astronomy project.

the planes that I have worked on with nav domes, the domes were made of
Plexiglass, not glass.
Matt Gunsch,
A&P,IA,Private Pilot
Riding member of the
2003 world champion drill team
Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team
GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Old July 16th 04, 01:01 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Ed Majden" wrote in message
Back in the old days, 1940-50s some aircraft were equipped with glass
astro navigation domes used to take astro sightings. I am trying to find
one of these glass domes in very good condition for an astronomy project.
Does anyone know where I can find one at reasonable cost? The dome will
have to be in excellent condition as it will be used to weather protect an
all-sky video camera that will be used to photograph meteors and auroras.
Back in the 1960's these were sold by surplus dealers but I have not seen
one for sale since then. Any help finding one would be most appreciated.
Ed Majden

I think they were perspex (plexiglass) rather than glass,
the ones I have seen certainly were.

Keith