Best Looking Sailplane

Old November 2nd 09, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZZ

Default Best Looking Sailplane

I am a 20B owner but I have to agree...the 22 has it beat Second is the
ASW17, third is the Kestrel 17.

Paul
ZZ

wrote:
ASW22 nothing else comes near it for looks.

http://www.gliderforum.com/photos/sh...6&currentpos=1
http://www.gliderforum.com/photos/sh...1&currentpos=2

http://silentflight.com/asw22ag.jpg
http://silentflight.com/asw22_2.jpg

Then I am biased...

Al

Old November 2nd 09, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Best looking: 17.7m Open Cirrus and the Glasflugel 604

By the way, it is NOT the "End of the Season" in the USA sunbelt.
Every year in the fall I hear this rumor.
Yes, most contests are over, but only about 250 pilots participate in
them.
From Florida across to California hundreds of pilots keep flyin' and
enjoy some of our best soaring conditions.

Our Marfa, west Texas wave window open to 30,000'. Thermals year-
round.
Tows / Instruction / Checkrides by appointment.

Burt
www.flygliders.com
Open Cirrus, ASK-13, DG-1000T, etc.
Old November 2nd 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

#1. AS-W12 The in-flight black and white photos on Soaring were
absolutely breathtaking. On the ground, it sits up like a WWII
fighter. The ship fairly oozes testosterone.

#2. AS-W22. For utter beauty of line and proportion in flight.
Ungainly on the ground.

#3. Libelle with racing canopy for classic lines.

#4. ASW-W20a. Form-follows-function. The ultimate all-around best
glider ever built. Beautiful in form but even more fror what is it
capable of. Images of the Four-On-the-Floor-Gang blasting down
the Appalachians with bags of pennies and lead shot as seat cushions,
wings bowing mightily in the turbulence.
Old November 2nd 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

I have to go with the ASW-20 as just about the best looking glider,
with the LS6 closely behind (bias showing, there). The newer 27s and
29s do not have the same, perfect proportions - especially in the
tail.

Good thing air is blind!

But I guess I'm out of touch because I find the Libelle to be a bit
odd looking. I think the contemporary ASW-15 is much prettier.

But the absolute best looking glider is the one you can only see from
the inside - it's the one you are flying!

Kirk
66
Old November 2nd 09, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Werner Schmidt

Hallo Martin Gregorie, Du schriebst am 02.11.2009 00:30

On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 14:31:27 -0800, vontresc wrote:

None of that plastic stuff looks right. Give me some good old German
plywood. :-)

Hard to beat a Ka-6

For my money the best looking of the wooden gliders is the Fafnir.

indeed, it is. The very best. But not for my *money* (couldn't pay one) ;-)

Regards
Werner
Old November 3rd 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My vote for the most beautiful sailplane is for the one you fly.
Nothing will beat that!

Tell that to the guy sitting in the PW5...
Whilst he/she cant see how ugly it is when sitting in it..
He/She has to be led to it and from blindfolded so as not to be made
aware just how ugly it is.

Al
Old November 3rd 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KevinFinke

I completely forgot about the PW-5....but the question was most
beautiful sailplane? I don't consider a PW-5 a sailplane. It's a
"world class" glider. Nothing more.
Old November 3rd 09, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GARY BOGGS CFIG

On Nov 2, 12:05*pm, Werner Schmidt wrote:
Hallo Martin Gregorie, Du schriebst am 02.11.2009 00:30

dddNothing beats the gullwing Petrel in my opinion

Old November 3rd 09, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Minimoa, hands down. One of our club members has a "scratch built" one
he made. I am lucky enough to see it from the air 3-4 times a year.
Come and see it fly and you'll know!

Bob

Old November 3rd 09, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 09:15:29 -0800, ZZ
wrote:

I am a 20B owner but I have to agree...the 22 has it beat Second is the
ASW17, third is the Kestrel 17.

If you like the 17 and the 22... check out the new Binder EB-29 - its
fuselage is a combination of the 17 and a T-tail.
Not to mention the nice aspect ratio of 51...

http://www.binder-flugmotorenbau.de/eb29.html

Bye
Andreas

Could this be used in a sailplane? Spam Soaring 6 July 5th 09 08:16 PM
Another Sailplane Ben Jeffrey Aviation Photos 2 June 24th 08 08:11 PM
New jet sailplane videos Bob C Soaring 1 September 2nd 06 02:52 AM
Sailplane Upholstery Gadget Guy Soaring 3 February 15th 06 10:54 PM
Flying a sailplane is like... Roger Worden Soaring 18 May 5th 05 02:07 PM