Two new aviation videos for download

Old December 19th 03, 06:14 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

ET writes:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote in
:

In my case they come out as a grey box that says "click" in the
middle. If I click it says I need some plugin but the file doesn't
specify which one. I think they're RealPlayer, which would explain
it; I don't allow that on my system.

They are .avi files. Depending on your operating system, you may be
able to right click and then "save as" then open with your favorite
movie viewer.

They're embedded in the page with the non-standard "embed" tag, so
no chance of right-clicking. Of course I can download the file after
reading the URL for it in the HTML code, though. Windows Media Player
attempts to play the RWY 25 low pass, but immediately gets an "unknown
error" (I really hate the terrible job Microsoft does on most of its
software). Quicktime says it can't open the file because there is an
error in the program.

I'm with you, I HATE realplayer AND quicktime for that matter, they both
try real hard to take over your system. Anyone know of a third party
player that plays MOV and RM files?

Haven't looked; video isn't very important to me.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, , www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
RKBA: noguns-nomoney.com www.dd-b.net/carry/
Old December 19th 03, 06:17 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Jay Honeck" writes:

It's an .avi file. Try right-clicking and saving it, and THEN opening it
with your favorite movie-playing software.

Also, try associating .avi files with Windows Media Player. This is a
setting you can access from within Media Player, or through "My Computer".

It plays normally with Windows Media Player.

No it doesn't. Windows Media Player 9.00.00.3075 (on Windows 2K)
reports that it encountered an "unknown error" when I try to play that
file.

The fact that I have to download it and manually shove it into WMP,
incidentally, strongly suggests that it's being served with the wrong
mime type. Internet Explorer will cover this problem up, but most
other browsers pay attention to the way the file is served to
determine how to display it.
Old December 19th 03, 02:04 PM
Jay Honeck

No it doesn't. Windows Media Player 9.00.00.3075 (on Windows 2K)
reports that it encountered an "unknown error" when I try to play that
file.

Strange. I'm running WMP 8.00 on Win XP, and all is well.

RealPlayer definitely doesn't like it though. It will play, but you have to
"right click" and go through some gymnastics.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA