Purchasing New Plane

Old March 25th 05, 02:48 PM
lserkumian

I rarely joke.

Old March 25th 05, 03:12 PM
Robbie S.

Please don't get bent out of shape..... there is a history associated with
these kinds of questions ..... The members of this group are extremely
helpful people.... You cannot just buy a plane and give it to someone as a
gift without knowing a heck of a lot about the pilot, the plane and a bunch
of other things.

Anyway, some things to consider when purchasing a "first" plane, that I had
to go through.....

1. How much would you like to pay for insurance. As a new pilot anything
beyond a 250 HP engine will probably cost an arm and a leg. If the plane
has retractable landing gear, then add two arms and two legs.
2. How many people will usually be in the plane. There are serious
limitations on how much weight/load can be carried. Also, the more seats in
plane, the higher the insurance cost.
3. What distance will usually be travelled in this plane. Going on long
cross country flights may require faster plane. Faster planes for new
pilots are dangerous and for that reason again the insurance cost is higher.
4. How often will this plane be flown and for what purpose (business or
pleasure).
5. Is the pilot insterested in getting IFR cert any time soon.
6. How much do you want to spend on purchasing the plane.
etc. etc. etc......

There are just too many things that need to be considered before making a
final decision on what to buy.....

Good Luck.

....Robbie.

"lserkumian" wrote in message
ups.com...
Didn't mean to cause such a rukus over a simple question - I have the
means and fortitude, just asked for a little assistance. Guess my best
bet is, as we are living in the US for the next 3 years in Harrisburg,
is to find a someone locally who is willing to give "good" advice.

Old March 25th 05, 03:22 PM
lserkumian

Guess it is not like buying a car - sounds as if I should seriously
reconsider and let him do the shopping himself. Thanks for the input.

Old March 25th 05, 03:44 PM
Dude

"lserkumian" wrote in message
ups.com...
Didn't mean to cause such a rukus over a simple question - I have the
means and fortitude, just asked for a little assistance. Guess my best
bet is, as we are living in the US for the next 3 years in Harrisburg,
is to find a someone locally who is willing to give "good" advice.

Many people find that their instructors and FBO owners give good advice.

The instructor should be consulted, and if the guy selling the plane wants
to talk to him about you this is a good thing. It shows that the seller is
concerned about your skills and ability to fly the level of plane you are
looking at.

However, instructors and FBO owners are often getting referral fees and
commissions from the seller to push their products, so you have to know that
their advice is possibly tainted. Especially discount anything you hear from
someone selling you a Cessna at a Cessna Pilot Center. I have overhead
these guys and they seriously abuse their customers' misplaced respect to
sell new planes.

So, here is some good advice not so close to PA.

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/cont...irst_bird.html

Since I am a well known busybody, I will grace you with some more confusion.

If you are going back to the UK in a few years, will you take the plane with
you, or sell it.

If you sell a less than 3 year old plane, and did not take tax advantages,
you can plan on a pretty big hit. At least 10% and often over 20%
depreciation. Much like a new car.

So, if you are not going to take it back, and your man is a low time pilot,
then I would recommend you buy a plane that is nearly new, and perhaps still
on warranty. This plan saves you lots of money, but still gives the same
level of joy.

If you are going to take the plane back with you, then I would buy him a
Diamond. These planes are by far the most popular new planes in Europe.
www.diamondair.com

If you plan to sell it, then he is likely ready for a Cessna 172 or 182,
Piper Archer or 6x, Tiger, Diamond Eclipse or Star.

The Piper 6x is similar to the Saratoga, but it has fixed gear and is thus
easier to insure. Which brings us to your other problem.

Your other problem will be insurance. If you are being asked to pay north of
2% hull value or even being refused coverage you might want to reconsider
your choice of plane.

So, may I suggest the following course of action:

Talk to his instructor for any hints of what he might want to fly and what
he is ready to fly. It would not be unusual for an instructor to ask his
student what kind of flying he plans to do when he gets his ticket, and what
planes he would want to do it in. Then, find an airplane sales company that
is local, and has an appropriate plane in inventory.

Tell them that if they will meet you at an airport with the plane, that you
will be prepared to sign a contract and place a deposit if your husband
wants it for his birthday. They will likely be happy to give a demostration
to you since you are obviously very serious. Make sure they get an insurance
quote for you as well.

If the plane is right, congratulations. If not, you haven't bought it, and
he may say something like: "Well, I kind of wanted a Tiger Moth." Okay,
thank the plane seller for his time, and start looking for a Tiger Moth.

Old March 26th 05, 09:35 PM
Jon Kraus

None of the troll's I've seen do either.... Go back under the bridge
wench..

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
'79 Mooney 201

lserkumian wrote:
I rarely joke.

Old March 29th 05, 12:51 AM
Russell Kent

"lserkumian" wrote in message
Guess it is not like buying a car

More like buying a house.

- sounds as if I should seriously reconsider and let him do the shopping

himself.

I think that would be the consensus advice from here. But what you're
attempting to do is admirable. You can accomplish some of the same
intangible goals with a slightly different tack. Pilots, as a rule, tend to
go all wobbly kneed at the thought of flying old, rare, weird, or otherwise
noteworthy aircraft (and then telling endless hangar flying tales about it,
but that's another issue). I don't know your husband, but it seems likely
he falls in that same mindset. You could probably gather *TONS* of "I love
my wife" with a bit of careful work on your part, and substantially less
cash outlay. Try to find pilots with old, rare, weird, or otherwise
noteworthy aircraft that would be willing to let your husband fly the planes
(with the owner/pilot aboard) for a fee. There are a few aviation museums
(the Cavanaugh in Addison, TX, is one) that has such a program; perhaps
there exist some up in the Pennsylvania area. Expect to pay anywhere from
US$100 to US$1,000 per hour of flight time. Bring lots of lipstick (he's
going to be kissing you alot!)

Anyone know of some planes that might be available in the Pennsylvania area?

Russell Kent