Two new aviation videos for download

Old December 17th 03, 06:32 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"John Harlow" wrote in message
One would think that with a slick runway the.. uhm..."plant"...
uhm..."arrival" would have been a "little" less firm! :-)

Actually it seemed fairly nice to me. Camcorders tend to greatly

exaggerate
landing impacts in my experience.

Is it the camcorders...or the angle that the video is shot from? A low angle
would emphasize any "bounce".(?)

Old December 17th 03, 06:38 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"John Harlow" wrote in message

Actually it seemed fairly nice to me. Camcorders tend to greatly
exaggerate
landing impacts in my experience.

http://twincommander.com/freevideodownloads.htm
....and load "Landing.mov", fourth down on the right. Notice the hard hit on
the right main.

Old December 17th 03, 01:21 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Michael Nouak" wrote in message

"Tom Sixkiller" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
"John Harlow" wrote in message

Actually it seemed fairly nice to me. Camcorders tend to greatly
exaggerate
landing impacts in my experience.

http://twincommander.com/freevideodownloads.htm
...and load "Landing.mov", fourth down on the right. Notice the hard hit

on
the right main.

What I noticed was that he's on two wheels at the end, nose and right

main.
Looks like poor x-wind correction to me!

Looks to me like he landed:

1) Left main
2) Nose wheel
3) Right main (hard hit).

When the left main touched, it bounced a bit and the nose came down too
soon. He didn't seem to be making x-wind corrections (but it's not exactly a
high res picture).

Kinda' hard with those LONG legs.

Old December 17th 03, 02:11 PM
ET

David Dyer-Bennet wrote in
:

"Tom Sixkiller" writes:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
If you'd like to see what landing in Iowa City after a December
snow

storm
is like, you can get a "back seat view" by clicking
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/landing_in_iowa_city.htm .

For a low approach down Rwy 25, click
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/low_pass_in_iowa_city.htm

For those of you not accustomed to snow, it's kinda fun to see.
;-)

They come out as an outline with a white box (with a little red "X")
in the upper left corner.

My firewall blocking something?

In my case they come out as a grey box that says "click" in the
middle. If I click it says I need some plugin but the file doesn't
specify which one. I think they're RealPlayer, which would explain
it; I don't allow that on my system.

They are .avi files. Depending on your operating system, you may be
able to right click and then "save as" then open with your favorite
movie viewer.

I'm with you, I HATE realplayer AND quicktime for that matter, they both
try real hard to take over your system. Anyone know of a third party
player that plays MOV and RM files?

--
ET

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old December 17th 03, 02:59 PM
Jay Honeck

One would think that with a slick runway the.. uhm..."plant"...
uhm..."arrival" would have been a "little" less firm! :-)

Actually, as others have said, the camcorder (or, in this case, a Canon Elph
S400, shooting an .avi movie) greatly exagerates the touchdown bump.

It was, in fact, a near-greaser, with absolutely no side-drift (essential
when landing on ice.).
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 17th 03, 03:00 PM
Jay Honeck

They come out as an outline with a white box (with a little red "X") in
the
upper left corner.

My firewall blocking something?

It's an .avi file. Try right-clicking and saving it, and THEN opening it
with your favorite movie-playing software.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 17th 03, 03:08 PM
Jay Honeck

It's an .avi file. Try right-clicking and saving it, and THEN opening it
with your favorite movie-playing software.

Also, try associating .avi files with Windows Media Player. This is a
setting you can access from within Media Player, or through "My Computer".

It plays normally with Windows Media Player.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 17th 03, 04:18 PM
John T

"John Harlow" wrote in message

Camcorders tend to greatly
exaggerate landing impacts in my experience.

Not when they're mounted on a tripod and have image stabilization...

See http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer/Flights.asp#031115 (Landing HGR) for an
example.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Old December 17th 03, 10:25 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Michael Nouak" wrote in message

"Tom Sixkiller" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

[snip]

What I noticed was that he's on two wheels at the end, nose and right

main.
Looks like poor x-wind correction to me!

Looks to me like he landed:

1) Left main
2) Nose wheel
3) Right main (hard hit).

I agree with you so far. But if you look at it again you will notice that
right at the end of the video the left main is off the ground. You can

only
lift a wheel after planting it on the ground if you turn the ailerons the
wrong way. I know - I've done it! :-(

That his left was off the ground... my eyes are not good enough anymore to
pick that up. :~(

Old December 17th 03, 10:53 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"ET" wrote in message
David Dyer-Bennet wrote in
:

"Tom Sixkiller" writes:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

Changed the default viewer to MediaPlayer and that fixed it.

I, too, hate RealPlayer and QuickTime for the reasons you state; until
recently, RealPlayer had taken a lot of heat for it's privacy violations.