True Meaning Of VOR

Old March 11th 05, 04:09 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message
oups.com...

I am an aspiring flight student. I'd like my first message to this
group to be one with foot in mouth:

I am not convinced that the term VOR stands for "Very high frequenncy
omnidirectional range."

The problem is that, if I were an electrical engineer designing such a
device, knowing in advance how it worked, I'd be highly inclinded to
call it a "Very high frequency ominidirectional radiator" given that it
radiates in all directions using the VHF band.

Yet both the chapters by Rod Machado that comes with Micrsoft Flight
Simulator and the handbooks from the FAA say that it stands for
"...ominidirectional range", so I might be barking up a tall tree here,
but just a thought.

Is there anyone here whose experience in flight precede the advent of
VOR that could say what it stands for?

The R means Range and always has. The predecessor to VOR was simply called
the "Radio range" and was so designated on aeronautical charts. In 1948
VORs began appearing on the charts but they weren't then designated VORs,
they were designated "Omni-directional range". The information boxes for
specific ranges were identical except "OMNI" appeared above the box of a
VOR.

Old March 11th 05, 04:58 PM
Ken Pruchnick

Don Hammer wrote in message . ..
Why do they call it a hot water heater when it heats cold water?
Why do they call them apartments when they are all stuck together?
Why do you drive on the parkway and park in the driveway?

Strange stuff to ponder.

Why is there so many letters in the word "ABBREVIATION"?
Old March 11th 05, 05:03 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ken Pruchnick" wrote in message
om...

Why is there so many letters in the word "ABBREVIATION"?

Why isn't PHONETICALLY spelled with an F?

Old March 11th 05, 07:04 PM
Mike W.

The R means Range and always has.

I still don't understand why the word 'range' is in there, a VOR doesn't
give you any distance to or from anything unless you use two or more of them
to determine your position. Why isn't it called a 'directional' or
'positional'? Is range just an old-timey word whose meaning has shifted over
the years?

Old March 11th 05, 07:15 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mike W." wrote in message

I still don't understand why the word 'range' is in there, a VOR doesn't
give you any distance to or from anything unless you use two or more of
them to determine your position. Why isn't it called a 'directional' or
'positional'? Is range just an old-timey word whose meaning has shifted
over the years?

It's a carryover from marine navigation.

http://www.dirauxwest.org/Piloting/atn3.htm#Ranges

Old March 11th 05, 07:37 PM
Dan Foster

In article , Mike W. wrote:

The R means Range and always has.

I still don't understand why the word 'range' is in there, a VOR doesn't
give you any distance to or from anything unless you use two or more of them
to determine your position. Why isn't it called a 'directional' or
'positional'? Is range just an old-timey word whose meaning has shifted over
the years?

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...=range&x=0&y=0

Dictionary definition 1c states: "a direction line".

Which is how the word 'range' is used in nautical terminology as I
understand it, and also in aviation.

That dictionary (Merriam-Webster) also mentions there are a total of 38
different meanings or definitions of the word 'range', so perhaps you
were thinking of a different meaning...?

-Dan
Old March 11th 05, 08:02 PM
Corky Scott

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:03:52 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

Why isn't PHONETICALLY spelled with an F?

Because when they were inventing words, they'd already used up all the
"F"'s, but still had plenty of "PH"'s left to use...

Corky Scott

Old March 11th 05, 08:04 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Why is the alphabet in that order?
Is it because of that song?

nk.net...

Old March 11th 05, 08:07 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message

Why is the alphabet in that order?
Is it because of that song?

Could be. That song is a detriment to education. How many people grew up
believing elemenopee was a letter itself?

Old March 11th 05, 08:08 PM
Bob Chilcoat

My dad always refered to VOR's as "Omni's". He started flying in the early
40's (See http://users.erols.com/viewptmd/Dad.html) and I can remember how
impressed he was with the first "Omni" he had installed in one of his planes
in the 60's. A major advance as far as he was concerned.