Airspeed of military planes

Old February 29th 04, 07:20 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Mike Marron" wrote in message
(Ron) wrote:

When Mike flies, he is not abusing Bernoulli, he is abusing Hefty

I fly sailplanes too (e.g: damn expensive fiberglas). Borrowing one of
Tarver's lines? Good grief, you're reached a new low Ron. I don't
know where you and tarv are getting this plastic "trash bag" crap from
anyway. GMAFB! Just so ya know, the stuff my wing is made from is a
new generation of high-tech fabric called "Hydranet" which is the same
stuff that state-of-the-art, high-dollar sailboats use. Guarantees
incomparable longevity and resistance to tearing.

Man from Glad, man from Glad, in flight emergency ...

Old March 1st 04, 12:24 AM
Michael Zaharis

Mike Marron wrote:
Michael Zaharis wrote:

Mike Marron wrote:

The Guppy flies just fine and I'd be happy to teach you how it can
fly, sergeant. My ground school lessons are reasonable and you will
learn all about how airplanes can fly such as Bernoulli's principle,
Newton's laws of physics etc. Interesting stuff!

Stop abusing Bernoulli!

http://www.av8n.com
http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/airfoils.html

Uh oh....here we go again with the ol' Bernoulli vs. Newton debate.
If I were teaching a newbie (like sergeant dan who loves to argue
just for the sheer sake of arguing because he has nothing better
to do with his miserable life) I'd have to simply explain to him that
BOTH Newton and Bernoulli are important. Sure, the links you
provided above (BTW, good website I refer to it often myself) show
that airplanes can fly with the "Bernoulli side" down, however, like
I said both Bernoulli AND Newton are important when it
comes to explaining how subsonic airfoils create lift.

Stop abusing Newton, too!

I really wasn't trying to start a Newton v Bernoulli debate. Actually,
I think that trying to use either of them to describe lift is a bit like
the 3 blind men trying to describe the elephant.

I need to figure out a way to write a "circulation theory of lift for
dummies" book. The websites I referred to are a bit more like
"circulation theory of lift for those who have a somewhat better than
layperson understanding of fluid dynamics."

Old March 1st 04, 12:26 AM
Mike Marron

Mike Marron wrote:
Michael Zaharis wrote:

[...]

One thing ya gotta love about Usenet is that there's a wacko around
every corner. OK, so lemme get this straight, mensaboy. According to
you, neither Bernoulli -OR- Newton have anything to do with how an
airfoil develops lift??

Waiting with baited breath for explanations. This oughta' be good....

Old March 1st 04, 12:32 AM
Michael Zaharis

Ron wrote:
Mike Marron, FAA Cerfified Flight Instructor - Instrument )

Stop abusing Bernoulli!

When Mike flies, he is not abusing Bernoulli, he is abusing Hefty

I really am joking Mike, I just couldnt resist..lol Those look like a lot of
fun

Ron
Tanker 65, C-54E (DC-4)

I really wasn't trying to start a Bernoulli V Newton theory of lift
debate. My "Stop abusing Bernoulli" cry was (somewhat) tongue in cheek,
paraphrasing the title of another book that covers circulation and
Newtonian theories of lift. I was just trying to use it as an excuse to
toss out what I feel is the best website I've seen to explain the
theories of lift that are actually used to design an airplane.
Circulation theories of lift are hard to conceptualize and explain, and
this one does a better job, with fewer errors, than anything else I've seen.

BTW, is my understanding of the Newtonians weak, or do they not say very
much about how an airfoil actually imparts an action to the airflow? It
seems to me that they talk quite a bit about action and reaction, but
never really go into the mechanics of how an airfoil works, or why a
given airfoil has a particular pressure/velocity distribution.

Old March 1st 04, 01:34 AM
Felger Carbon

"Mike Marron" wrote in message

Waiting with baited breath for explanations. This oughta' be

good....

It would be even better if you were waiting with bated breath. ;-)

Old March 1st 04, 05:48 AM
Mike Marron

"Felger Carbon" wrote:
"Mike Marron" wrote:

Waiting with baited breath for explanations. This oughta' be
good....

It would be even better if you were waiting with bated breath. ;-)

Freudian slip I guess (this place is crawling with trolls...