My Ground Loop

Old December 1st 05, 10:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default My Ground Loop

On 30 Nov 2005 10:20:18 -0800, "Michael"
wrote:

I did my own groundloop once, on takeoff.

I'm awfully glad to know that there was another one!

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old December 2nd 05, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Walked away from it... good landing.
Airplane still useable afterwards... GREAT landing!

:-)

3 Cheers!

(reminiscing about my tailwheel training in a Champ on a 15G25 windy
day and almost ready to throttle my CFI by the neck for being so mean
to me)

Old December 2nd 05, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...
Walked away from it... good landing.
Airplane still useable afterwards... GREAT landing!

:-)

Landed at airport to pick up mother-in-law : Bad Landing

Old December 2nd 05, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

landed at airport to pick up mother-in-law : Bad Landing

You do know that that the letters of "mother in law" can be re-spelled
into an anagram of "woman hitler" don't you?

Old December 2nd 05, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"R.W. Behan" wrote in message So did you three-point the Twin?

Yes

As a Navy aircraft mechanic and sometimes
"plane captain" on the Twin--the Navy designation was "SNB"--I had to tend
to hungover BOQ pilots, driving around the sky until it was time for the
skipper, now well rested, to land the plane. I never saw a 3-point

landing
made by the SNB. But watching them land, level, on the mains, it always

was
a bit dicey to see those struts wobble fore and aft--almost as if the
airplane was walking, not rolling, down the runway.

We had an SNB-5 in our stable, but it had been converted to a tricycle after
the Navy released it. It flew a little different from other Twin Beeches. It
didn't like to go slow. If I got below 110mph on final, it would drop like a
rock. It would stall without much buffet too. I gave a checkride to 20,000
hour Beech pilot in it and it's characteristics surprised him while on
final. He had to cob a bunch of throttle to recover. The only thing I can
attribute it to is that the civilian Twin Beeches had a different horizontal
stabilizer incidence angle than the military version and that maybe this
airplane wasn't set to the civilian specification.

D.

Old December 2nd 05, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Reid & Julie Baldwin" wrote in message
I have heard it said that there are two types of tailwheel pilots: those
that have ground looped and those that will. A week ago, I graduated from
the latter category into the former category. There was no shirt ripping
ceremony for this milestone. Fortunately, there was also no torn flesh or
bent metal. I post the story here so others can share my lessons learned.

snip

How To Groundloop Your Taildragger
by Lloyd Beaule
http://www.aviation.ca/content/view/907/118/

Happy landings,

Old December 3rd 05, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

George, which M-7 model has the small ailerons?
I have heard it will not handle as much crosswind as the other models.
Old December 3rd 05, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Selway, Deb...
I am having difficulty understanding what you are saying.
If you are slow-flighting with power, the nose is high.
How do you land on the mains and prevent the tailwheel from touching
first?
Old December 3rd 05, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

john smith wrote:
George, which M-7 model has the small ailerons?
I have heard it will not handle as much crosswind as the other models.

As far as I know, the ailerons have always been the same size on all M-7s and
MX-7 planes. That's the way it was certified.

I too have read accounts from people who say that crosswind capability is
handicapped by the size of the ailerons. I've never understood this, or even
understood how that could be possible. In any case, I've always run out of
rudder long before running out of aileron when slipping that plane.

As far as I can see, the crosswind problem with the M-7 series is caused by that
vertical stabilizer design they copied from the Bellanca Viking. It's real
pretty, but it sure catches the wind.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old December 3rd 05, 09:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 02:21:51 GMT, john smith wrote:

If you are slow-flighting with power, the nose is high.
How do you land on the mains and prevent the tailwheel from touching
first?

The nose isn't *that* high! Else the plane would already be stalled.
Anyhow, it's my impression that in slow flight in ground effect the
Cub's attitude is pretty much level. Not sure about this since I've
never seen myself from the sidelines.

The ideal wheelie involves a jab of forward pressure on the stick just
as the wheels touch. That plants the wheels and keeps the tail from
dropping (which would cause you to take flight again).

That's followed by some back pressure to get the tail down enough for
aerodynamic braking with the wings. Not so much that you take flight
again! Done just right, you can stop in as short a space with a
wheelie as with a three-point.