Type Rating

Old October 6th 04, 12:36 PM
Ron Elmer

Default Type Rating

Hello Newsgroup Pilot's

I'm looking to get type rated in a buiseness jet such as CJ Citation Lear or
Hawker because of the requirement to be "Jet Typed" for succsessful
processing of a pilot application at several airlines or crew leasing
agencys. Some have the requirement to be typed in a jet aircraft even when
not operating corporate jets in the lower size class.
I would appreciate information on training for such type ratings in small
schools or under part 61 outside of the big training organisations like
Flight safety , Simuflite, Simcom, pan am etc.

thanks Ron

Old October 7th 04, 04:42 AM
Jens Krueger

Ron Elmer wrote:

I'm looking to get type rated in a buiseness jet such as CJ Citation Lear or
Hawker because of the requirement to be "Jet Typed" for succsessful
processing of a pilot application at several airlines or crew leasing
agencys. Some have the requirement to be typed in a jet aircraft even when
not operating corporate jets in the lower size class.

Before you spend money on a type rating make sure that you understand
what they're actually looking for. Most companies won't even look at
your resume unless you have a type rating AND (emphasis strongly added)
actual flying time in type as either SIC or PIC.

Just the type rating won't get you anywhere especially if it's in an
airplane they don't even operate.

Southwest for instance, _requires_ a 737 type for candidates. BUT they
also require something like 1000 hrs. Jet PIC.

I would recommend to talk to your prospective companies and find out IF
a type rating will actually improve your chances of getting hired, and
if yes, what kind of type rating would do.

Cheers,
Jens

--
I don't accept any emails right now. Usenet replys only.
Old October 8th 04, 01:05 PM
Ron Elmer

"Jens Krueger" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Ron Elmer wrote:

[...]

Hello Jens,

i do reserch for jobs since my professional flying career started 4 yars
ago. You are sure to check for what companys are actually looking for. Most
of them look for rated pilots in the aircraft they operate. My former
employer looked for FO's with less than 1000 total time only for the reason
that more experienced where more difficult to adapt company procedures.
Captains where upgraded only from own FO's. This system made a high degree
of standarisation possible.
The reason for my posting is just that I have got the opportunity to escape
the turboprop if I show a Jet rating which one is not important. As far I
was told is the reason therefore to save the touch and goes on the rating
for the aircrafts these company operates, because the simulator is company
paid.
Thats why I look for such a rating quality training or not just cheap I dont
use the rating later in that class
afterwards.

Ron

Old October 8th 04, 06:50 PM
Jens Krueger

Ron Elmer wrote:

My former
employer looked for FO's with less than 1000 total time only for the reason
that more experienced where more difficult to adapt company procedures.
Captains where upgraded only from own FO's. This system made a high degree
of standarisation possible.

That's certainly true at some operators.

The reason for my posting is just that I have got the opportunity to escape
the turboprop if I show a Jet rating which one is not important.

What do you mean by "escaping" the Turboprop?

As far I
was told is the reason therefore to save the touch and goes on the rating
for the aircrafts these company operates, because the simulator is company
paid.

That sounds a little fishy... So you are saying that they want you to
pay for a type rating, so that they can waive t&g's on your IOE? Sorry,
but that doesn't make sense to me... What kind of equipment are they
operating and where? Do they operate 121, 135 or 91?

Thats why I look for such a rating quality training or not just cheap I dont
use the rating later in that class
afterwards.

Why would you want to pay for something that you are not utilizing, just
to save the company some dollars for fuel and tires... Doesn't sound
like this company has a very high regard for crew training/proficiency.
If they treat new hires like that, what do you think how this company
operates the line, let alone recurrent training and so on... I don't
think I would want to work for such a company. I know, times are
tough...

Cheers,
Jens

--
I don't accept any emails right now. Usenet replys only.
Old October 8th 04, 09:15 PM
kage

When I got my first type rating in a jet, it HAD to be done in an airplane.
I don't know if that has changed. But my class was going to go for 5 days.
At the last minute United Airlines threw in 3 guys that were upgrading to
captain in a 757. United was not going to use one of their real 757s for
training so these guys were getting their first rating in a Citation. Then
they could get the 757 rating in a simulator.

This threw a whole dimension into the training, since these guys needed to
go to the sim the NEXT day. So all four of us had a crash type rating school
that lasted into the night. "Examiner on staff" took on a whole new meaning.
I was dangerous when I got out that night. Probably still am!

Karl

Old October 9th 04, 11:33 AM
Ron Elmer

Ron Elmer wrote:

My former
employer looked for FO's with less than 1000 total time only for the

reason
that more experienced where more difficult to adapt company procedures.
Captains where upgraded only from own FO's. This system made a high

degree
of standarisation possible.

That's certainly true at some operators.

The reason for my posting is just that I have got the opportunity to

escape
the turboprop if I show a Jet rating which one is not important.

What do you mean by "escaping" the Turboprop?

That means I look forward to upgrade into jet aircraft.
Escaping means not that I am on the run or that I dont like turboprop
flying, in fact it is very valuable flight time regarding to experience with
weather short field ops etc. but now I got the opportunity to transition to
jets so why not taking it.

As far I
was told is the reason therefore to save the touch and goes on the

rating
for the aircrafts these company operates, because the simulator is

company
paid.

That sounds a little fishy... So you are saying that they want you to
pay for a type rating, so that they can waive t&g's on your IOE? Sorry,
but that doesn't make sense to me... What kind of equipment are they
operating and where? Do they operate 121, 135 or 91?

They operate the whole Boeing line on ACMI lease contracts to Airlines all
over the world under the FAR's of the respective country and SOP's of the
operator where they leased to.

Thats why I look for such a rating quality training or not just cheap I

dont
use the rating later in that class
afterwards.

Why would you want to pay for something that you are not utilizing, just
to save the company some dollars for fuel and tires... Doesn't sound
like this company has a very high regard for crew training/proficiency.
If they treat new hires like that, what do you think how this company
operates the line, let alone recurrent training and so on... I don't
think I would want to work for such a company. I know, times are
tough...

The reason is just that they dont have the aircrafts sitting on the ramp
like flight schools the 150's to do a flight training they have the aircraft
to pull out of revenue service, much more to loose as a few dollars on fuel
and tires.

The case for me to do a quick cheap rating in any jet aircraft because it
will be my first jet rating all further ratings can then be completed in the
simulator thats the way.
Do you know a place where I can take such a rating???

Ron

Cheers,
Jens

--
I don't accept any emails right now. Usenet replys only.

Old October 9th 04, 11:38 AM
Ron Elmer

Hi kage ,
thanks for the posting thats is the way I have to do it. I am not in that
hurry like you at the time but should complete it this year. Could you tell
me a place for a crash type rating??
you email me directly if you dont want to post it on the net:

Thanks
Ron

Old October 9th 04, 10:38 PM
kage

Ron,

I don't have a Trade-a-Plane handy, but there are always several quickie
type rating schools advertised there.

KG