Another approach question

Old November 7th 04, 03:36 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Default Another approach question

On VOR/DME-B @ 69V, there is a comment that says PT is not authorized when
arriving northbound on V208. Then on the bottom of the chart it says
"Procedure Turn NA". Why bother printing the first statement, when PT is
clearly not authorized for any transitions? Is this a left-over from a old
chart when PT might have been authorized except for the V208 transition?

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 7th 04, 04:06 AM
Brad Zeigler

Read it again. Not PT...the whole procedure is not authorized when arriving
northbound on V208.

. 145...

Old November 7th 04, 05:06 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Thanks. I had misread that one.

"Brad Zeigler" wrote in
:

Old November 7th 04, 02:52 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

On VOR/DME-B @ 69V, there is a comment that says PT is not authorized when
arriving northbound on V208.

No, read it more carefully. It says "Procedure not authorized". I
don't have an en-route chart of the area, but presumably there are other
airways which get you to CARBON, and you've got to arrive on one of
those, or from ARBIH.

My reading of the chart also says that if you miss, you can't try again
directly out of the missed hold; you need to get clearance back to (for
example) ARBIH and start again from there.
Old November 7th 04, 03:40 PM
Andrew Sarangan

Roy Smith wrote in
:

In article ,
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

On VOR/DME-B @ 69V, there is a comment that says PT is not authorized
when arriving northbound on V208.

No, read it more carefully. It says "Procedure not authorized". I
don't have an en-route chart of the area, but presumably there are
other airways which get you to CARBON, and you've got to arrive on one
of those, or from ARBIH.

My reading of the chart also says that if you miss, you can't try
again directly out of the missed hold; you need to get clearance back
to (for example) ARBIH and start again from there.

Where are you seeing that? The missed hold is at CARBON, which is an IAF.
Since you are clearly not arriving from V208 (which happens to be along R-
164), why can't you start the approach from CARBON?

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 7th 04, 05:44 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

My reading of the chart also says that if you miss, you can't try
again directly out of the missed hold; you need to get clearance back
to (for example) ARBIH and start again from there.

Where are you seeing that? The missed hold is at CARBON, which is an IAF.
Since you are clearly not arriving from V208 (which happens to be along R-
164), why can't you start the approach from CARBON?

Well, I'm not really sure about this, but here's my thinking...

The only reason I can think of to disallow arrivals along V208 is
because there isn't enough protected airspace north of CARBON to allow
the course reversal that would be required. Seems to me the same would
be true if you're inbound to CARBON in the hold. On the other hand, if
you've got room to make the outbound turn, I guess you should have room
to just make a right turn to heading 220 or so after crossing CARBON
inbound and intercept the 195 radial outbound.

You are certainly correct that there's nothing on the plate that
explicitly says that, but that's my guess. I suppose the way it would
really work is that you call ATC from the hold and ask for clearance for
another approach. They'll either clear you for the approach directly
from the hold, or give you something that takes you to ARBIH or
somewhere else to begin the approach from.