Another IFR Haiku

Old December 19th 07, 07:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Hilton

Default Another IFR Haiku

Andrew Sarangan write:
Hilton wrote:
Jim,

FWIW: I put time first. Why? For "Turn, Time...", I have to remember to
start the time during/after the turn. But when using "Time, Turn..." I
put
my finger on the start button, and as soon as I hit the fix, I hit the
Start - bingo one less thing to remember and more accurate timing too.

I never learned the 5T's (or 4T's) and don't teach, and don't
understand it either. Is it to remember the sequence or the actions
themselves?

It's a checklist, used for the reasons checklists are used.

BTW: I learned 6Ts.

Hilton

Old December 19th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave J

On Dec 18, 8:27 pm, Andrew Sarangan wrote:
On Dec 16, 2:57 am, "Hilton" wrote:

Jim,

FWIW: I put time first. Why? For "Turn, Time...", I have to remember to
start the time during/after the turn. But when using "Time, Turn..." I put
my finger on the start button, and as soon as I hit the fix, I hit the
Start - bingo one less thing to remember and more accurate timing too.

As an aside, it is consistent with all approaches; i.e. yes, I time an ILS
because I want to and because my timing is automatic when I cross the fix -
same procedure for all. I never meant to move this thread into a "Do you
time the ILS?", so let 's not.

Hilton

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message

I never learned the 5T's (or 4T's) and don't teach, and don't
understand it either. Is it to remember the sequence or the actions
themselves?

Now see, this makes me feel better.

-- dave j
Old December 19th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave J

I never learned the 5T's (or 4T's) and don't teach, and don't
understand it either. Is it to remember the sequence or the actions
themselves?

It's a checklist, used for the reasons checklists are used.

I'm a fan of checklists. (In fact, if you're interested there is an
interesting article in last weeks New Yorker about the use of
checklists and "CRM" in medical settings. Apparently, doctors have
been pretty resistant because it implies they are not all heroic
superstars. However, the use of a checklist as well as allowing nurses
(ie, first officers) to challenge doctors who stray from it to
challenge the doctor has shown substantial improvements in medical
care quality. It seems obvious to an aviator, not so much to docs, I
guess. (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/
2007/12/10/071210fa_fact_gawande)

The thing about the T's is that there is already a checklist of sorts
on my lap when I'm flying an approach; it's the approach itself, which
presents lots of little memory aids to help me do it right. I've done
my share of stupid stuff while learning/flying IFR, but I don't think
I've left out anything of the T's -- with the exception of TIME. I
should have a placard in the aircraft that says "look at your watch
now, doofus."

(As an aside, I prefer the wris****ch to the fancy flight timers,
whose buttons present me with something extra to *do*, whereas with
the watch all I need to do is note the positions of the minute and
second hands. And in reality, seconds is usually sufficient, as I'll
likely be looking at it again often enough to track the minutes, too.)

-- dave j
Old December 21st 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
M[_1_]

On Dec 18, 11:56 pm, "Hilton" wrote:

It's a checklist, used for the reasons checklists are used.

Checklist for what? Approaches? I never learned the 5Ts either.

My instructor asked me to use WRIM-TIMC as the approach check list:
weather, radio, instrument, minimum, timer, miss approach procedure,
and before landing check. I normally go through all the above before
receiving my approach clearance, often before handed off to the
approach controller.
Old December 21st 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dane Spearing

In article ,
M wrote:
Checklist for what? Approaches? I never learned the 5Ts either.

My instructor asked me to use WRIM-TIMC as the approach check list:
weather, radio, instrument, minimum, timer, miss approach procedure,
and before landing check. I normally go through all the above before
receiving my approach clearance, often before handed off to the
approach controller.

Wow. I never thought that my initial posting of an aviation haiku could
produce such lively discussion.

It has, however, taught me one thing....there are many different, and
equally good, ways to fly and airplane. Whatever works for each pilot
to keep him/her safe in the skies is a good thing. (Okay...there are lots
of bad ways to fly too, but I like to try and focus on the good ways...)

-- Dane

Old December 21st 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Barry

My instructor asked me to use WRIM-TIMC as the approach check list:
weather, radio, instrument, minimum, timer, miss approach procedure,
and before landing check. I normally go through all the above before
receiving my approach clearance, often before handed off to the
approach controller.

I learned MARTHAS:

Missed approach
Altitude
Radios
Time
Heading
Airspeed
Small print

Old December 21st 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:36:30 -0800 (PST), M wrote:

On Dec 18, 11:56 pm, "Hilton" wrote:

It's a checklist, used for the reasons checklists are used.

Checklist for what? Approaches? I never learned the 5Ts either.

The "T's", no matter how many, are a checklist for any navigation
checkpoint or waypoint. You may not need every "T" at every
checkpoint but you go through them all mentally.

I learned Turn - Time - Twist - Throttle - Talk - Track

I learned WIRE for conditioning the airplane for the approach

Weather (ATIS) - Instruments (Crosschecks, Kollsman, Precession,
etc...) - Radio (tune and ID to plate) - Everything Else (checklists)