Las Vegas and military aviation

Old November 25th 03, 01:08 AM
mah

Default Las Vegas and military aviation

Chance I may get a trip out to "Lost Wages" soon.

Any don't miss sites to try and convince my wife I just have to visit?

Thanks in advance

MAH
Old November 25th 03, 05:46 AM
John A. Weeks III

In article , mah wrote:

Chance I may get a trip out to "Lost Wages" soon.

Any don't miss sites to try and convince my wife I just have to visit?

There are a number of things to check out, but given the additional
security from 9/11, and general government paranoia, you cannot get
close access to anything.

Nellis AFB is the place to start. You can see the base memorial
airpark from the street. It contains, amoung other things, and
F-4, F-5, and F-117A. The runway areas and north end of the base
are fully visiable from public streets. There are places that
you can park and watch the air-ops without getting chased away.

Next, US-95 north is fun to check out. There is a bombing
range right to the east of the road for several miles, and
an aux air field. I saw an A-7 sitting in the scrap pile there
a few days ago. Further up is Indian Springs AFB. I saw two
Su-27's sitting on the ramp a few days ago.

Next would be NV-375, which runs along the north east side of
the Nellis test range. The sites to see here are documented
on various Area 51 web sites. This includes the mailbox, Alien
Inn, and the north entrance to the secret air base. If you get
lucky, you may see various aircraft out doing training flights.

Finally, check out the airport at Kingman, Az. There are a
number of older airliners sitting in storage on the ramp. Last
time I was there, they had a whole bunch of smaller puddle-
jumpers in storage, and a few retired military cargo planes
(C-124 and a C-46).

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old November 25th 03, 08:13 AM
miso

Well, if the question is where to go, obviously Nellis AFB. Two ways
to get there. One is just take Las Vegas Blvd north (I guess) and you
will pass the base. The other is to get on I-15 north until you hit
Speedway Blvd. Get off at Speedway, then take a right towards the gas
station. If you go straight, you will enter the Speedway. Take this
road past the junkyards and such and you will hit Las Vegas Blvd right
at the fence where you can watch planes at Nellis.

Next would be Indian Springs, but this is assuming you are pretty hard
core. It could take a while to see something at Indian Springs, so be
prepared to stake it out (i.e. have some food, a scanner, etc). Take
95 north and you will eventually hit Indian Springs.

Beyond those two places, the next step is the Nellis ranges. I-15 N to
93N to 318 to 375 (basically Rachel). Stop off at the Little Alien and
get directions on what to see.

Oh yeah, leave the wife in town at the Forum Shops.

Old November 26th 03, 05:02 PM
Alan Minyard

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:08:27 -0600, mah wrote:

Chance I may get a trip out to "Lost Wages" soon.

Any don't miss sites to try and convince my wife I just have to visit?

Thanks in advance

MAH

You are taking a wife to LV??????? NOT, rpt NOT the way to go :-)

Al Minyard