angle points in victor airways

Old September 30th 04, 01:39 AM
John Hamilton

Default angle points in victor airways

If I am navigating along a Victor Airway, and want to program it into
my GPS, how can I tell if there is an angle (i.e. change in direction)
at an intersection? I know that some intersections are there just
because of changes in MOA, MOCA, etc, but definitely some are there
because the airways "bends". For example, I was flying last night from
New haven to Pittsburgh (yes, in the middle of the rain from Joanne)
along V162. Just east of Harrisburg is BOBSS, where V162 joins V12,
and turns due west.

When I was in training for my instrument rating, my CFII would tell me
to program in every intersection along the route, but that could be
dozens. I can't tell from the legend on the IFR chart the answer to
this.
Old September 30th 04, 01:46 AM
Dave S

How about programming intersections where 1)there is a clear change of
direction and 2) where there is an intersection at a changeover point.
That will keep it to a minimum, but keep you on the centerline of the
airway.

Dave

Old September 30th 04, 04:19 AM
paul k. sanchez

Programming in the intermediate intersections is probably a good idea,
since it makes it easier to keep track of where you are. Five miles
from HOZAT intersection is a little more meaningful than 87 miles from
some VOR.

BTW, it's questions like this that make me really love the CNX-80 I fly
with. You don't have to put in the intermediate fixes. You just tell
it what airway you're on, and it digs all the fixes out of the database
for you.

Gosh Roy, what a neat feature. I wonder if the Northstar M2 loran, M60 gps,
M600 gps, M3 gps had that feature on the RTE function back in 1996?

paul k. sanchez, cfii-mei
on eagles’ wings
10643 shore drive
boca raton, florida 33428-5645
305-389-1742 wireless
561-852-6779 home/fax

Old September 30th 04, 08:34 PM

paul k. sanchez wrote:

Gosh Roy, what a neat feature. I wonder if the Northstar M2 loran, M60 gps,
M600 gps, M3 gps had that feature on the RTE function back in 1996?

So what's your point, other than some vague, worthless sarcasim? Did
Roy imply that the UPS/Garmin set is the only TSO-C129 set with an
airway database?

Old September 30th 04, 10:31 PM
paul k. sanchez

So what's your point, other than some vague, worthless sarcasim? Did
Roy imply that the UPS/Garmin set is the only TSO-C129 set with an
airway database?

Well Frank, since obviously you were quite unimpressed with the history of
other receivers that had airway data bases, perhaps you would be willing to
learn that the CNX80 (GNS480) is a TSO-C146 and not C129.

Part of this business is knowing the history of the software, who had which
features, and what hardware interface.

Don't worry yourself that I charge for humor in my billing day, I only bill for
what I know and what the client needs. I hope you can find someone that meets
your needs and lack of humor appreciation.

Old September 30th 04, 10:38 PM
John R. Copeland

"paul k. sanchez" wrote in message =
=20
.... I hope you can find someone that meets
your needs and lack of humor appreciation.
=20
=20
paul k. sanchez, cfii-mei
=20

If you thought that was humorous, you should stick with your day job.
---JRC---

Old October 1st 04, 12:39 AM
paul k. sanchez

If you thought that was humorous, you should stick with your day job.
---JRC---

That I shall. Enjoy your day.

Old October 1st 04, 02:13 AM
Andrew Gideon

Roy Smith wrote:

BTW, it's questions like this that make me really love the CNX-80 I fly
with. You don't have to put in the intermediate fixes. You just tell
it what airway you're on, and it digs all the fixes out of the database
for you.

Is there any disadvantage to this?

I'd an email dialog with a Garmin representative recently. One of the
questions I asked was whether they'd plans to put airways (and airway route
entry) into their 430s at any point. His answer was that this was being
considered, but that they were concerned at making the UI more difficult.

I cannot imagine how this feature would make it more difficult, but I've
never tried this. You obviously have. So...is there any complexity
increase to this?

- Andrew

Old October 1st 04, 03:58 AM
John R. Copeland

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message =
online.com...
Roy Smith wrote:
=20
BTW, it's questions like this that make me really love the CNX-80 I =

fly
with. You don't have to put in the intermediate fixes. You just =

tell
it what airway you're on, and it digs all the fixes out of the =

database
for you.

=20
Is there any disadvantage to this?
=20
I'd an email dialog with a Garmin representative recently. One of the =

questions I asked was whether they'd plans to put airways (and airway =

route=20
entry) into their 430s at any point. His answer was that this was =

being=20
considered, but that they were concerned at making the UI more =

difficult.
=20
I cannot imagine how this feature would make it more difficult, but =

I've=20
never tried this. You obviously have. So...is there any complexity=20
increase to this?
=20
- Andrew

I shouldn't answer for Roy, but it's very easy in the CNX80/GNS480.
You can try for yourself, if you wish, by downloading and running the
CNX80 simulator for Windows, from Garmin:
http://www.garmin.com/software/simulators/CNX80sim.zip

When you insert any waypoint (or VOR) into a flight plan you are =
building,
and then indicate you wish to insert an airway from there,
you get to select from a list of all airways using that waypoint.
After you choose your airway, you get to pick your exit point
from an alphabetized list of all waypoints (and VORs) in that airway.
The CNX80/GNS480 also shows you a maplike diagram of the airway,
which is helpful in making your choice.

Roy, did I leave out any important thing?
---JRC---

TAS vs. flap reflex angle ELIPPSE Home Built 3 January 13th 05 06:00 AM
Bending extruded angle Veeduber Home Built 8 August 29th 04 12:58 AM
7075 T6 Angle c hinds Home Built 7 May 17th 04 07:33 AM
Another angle... tongaloa Home Built 0 February 27th 04 11:13 PM
FS: Wing spar angle extrusions Bob Kuykendall Home Built 0 September 25th 03 08:23 PM