F/A 18

Old January 5th 04, 09:54 PM
Richard

Default F/A 18

About 15 years ago I saw a RAAF F/A 18 perform at Ohakea in New Zealand.
After takeoff it flew out to sea. It returned from behind a hangar
travelling slowly down the runway on its tail. The hangar obscured our view
of the transition. It continued down the runway at perhaps 30 mph and 50
metres high. After about 300 metres it rose and continued vertically with
the pilot giving a commentary over the PA once the engine noise had reduced.
It was very spectacular and noisy.

Does anyone know of a video or picture of this feat that I can download?

Richard

Old January 6th 04, 05:35 AM
fudog50

I get your point Richard, but it definitely ain't 30mph!!! It is an
awesome sight and the "Blues" perform this maneuver in almost every
show. You might be able to get something from their website? Try this:

http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/flash/themegallery.html

There is one shot in there where they do a 2 ship version, wing to
wing. After the 300 metres or so you are talking about, one goes near
vertical, the other continues on horizontal at full AB. Incredible!! I
was at Pensacola for 2 years, no matter how many times I see them
perform or pactice, the "Blues" never cease to impress me!!!. I think
they call it the "cobra", correct me if I'm wrong.