Antonov

Old June 25th 04, 02:49 PM
Emilio

Default Antonov

This Antonov, do anyone know what they were thinking of as a cargo?

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/605503/M/

Emilio.

Old June 25th 04, 03:49 PM
Goran Larsson

In article , Emilio wrote:

This Antonov, do anyone know what they were thinking of as a cargo?

Buran.

--
Göran Larsson http://www.mitt-eget.com/
Old June 25th 04, 11:07 PM
gary pearson

Correct, it was designed for the Buran. However, the aircraft is now in
service for outsized cargo flights. It lay idle for over 3 years before
they decided to refurbish it for commercial flights. The 124 was used for so
many things from Ostriches and Giraffes to satellites and tanks. The 225
will do the same but just more of it. Check out www.airfoyle.co.uk

"Goran Larsson" wrote in message
In article , Emilio

Old June 26th 04, 08:09 AM
Ken Duffey

They have a second example - the static test airframe - and enough parts
to make it flyable.

Following the success of the first 'Mriya' (Dream), Antonov are
considering putting it into service - if they can get the money!

Ken

Old June 27th 04, 04:41 AM
Emilio

Ya I found the pic with Buran on top.

Funny, I thought Russians were lot more practical than design a brand new 6
engine aircraft to carry Buran. We do it simply with 747.

Emilio.

Old June 27th 04, 11:33 AM
Jonathan Stilwell

"Emilio" wrote in message
Ya I found the pic with Buran on top.

Funny, I thought Russians were lot more practical than design a brand new

6
engine aircraft to carry Buran. We do it simply with 747.

Well, as well as the An-225, they also used the VM-T Atlant. A Myasichev 3M
"Bison" bomber / tanker converted to a twin tail with the Buran orbiter
stapped to the back. Also used for carrying the Buran external fuel tank.

http://legion.wplus.net/guide/air/t/vm-t.shtml
http://spacearium.aresinstitute.org/...mages_113.html

Jon.

Old June 28th 04, 04:30 PM
Emilio

Holly crap! I hope they filled the tank with helium.

http://spacearium.aresinstitute.org/...es/atlant2.jpg

I hope they filled the tank with helium. Thanks for the web site with large
collection Russian images.

Emilio.

Old June 28th 04, 05:10 PM
Ken Duffey

When they (Antonov) were making a heap of FAI records with the Mriya,
they wanted to have some heavy steel blocks that they could load on
board - so that they could get the records at different all-up weights.

But these steel blocks were a pain to load and offload - so they hit
upon the simple expedient of using T-90 tanks - simple drive-on
drive-off steel loads.

I have a pic somewhere of an An-225 with an open nose door and five
T-90's parked in front!

Ken

Old June 28th 04, 05:45 PM
Emilio

I think five T-90 was for show.

One T-90 weighs 46 Tons fully loaded, which is 92,000 lbs. Space shuttle
external tank weigh 77,000 lbs. It is about one T-90 weight capacity.

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/...ewsref/et.html

Shuttle Orbiter Landing Weight is 198,909 lbs. That is little over two T-90
weight capacity.

http://www.shuttlepresskit.com/STS-98/

Emilio.