insurance companies/brokers for low-time pilots

Old July 15th 03, 11:15 PM
Ben Jackson

Default insurance companies/brokers for low-time pilots

Can anyone recommend insurance companies or brokers that will work
with low time pilots interested in insuring hi-perf/complex airplanes?
I've talked to AOPA and Avemco, and coverage is available, so now I'm
just comparison shopping.

Scary how many aviation insurance brokers turned up by a Google groups
search (recommended right here!) have had their phones disconnected...

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old July 15th 03, 11:34 PM
paul k. sanchez

Can anyone recommend insurance companies or brokers that will work with low
time pilots interested in insuring hi-perf/complex airplanes? I've talked to
AOPA and Avemco, and coverage is available, so now I'm just comparison
shopping.

Scary how many aviation insurance brokers turned up by a Google groups search

(recommended right here!) have had their phones disconnected...

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Ben:
The underwriters/brokers who cover low time pilots in high-performance/complex
aircraft are the very ones who will require completion of an approved
qualification course, and recurrency every 6 months to 12 months after that.

If you do not have an instrument rating and wish to use an aircraft with a hull
value of $400k than I don't think the underwriters/brokers will even return
your phone call.

Mona Rathmel ) is one of the directors of the
Malibu/Mirage Owner Pilots Association. Her company Aero-One is a broker for
various underwriters and she will be quite pragmatic in explaining what will be
available to you with you as single pilot or with designated instructor. Her
phone is:

800-969-1902

Phone 972-980-0800

FAX 972-980-4090

She is located in Addison, Texas.

paul k. sanchez, cfii-mei
on eagles’ wings
2011 south perimeter road, suite g
fort lauderdale, florida 33309-7135
305-389-1742 wireless
954-776-0527 fax
954-965-8329 home/fax

Old July 16th 03, 02:42 AM
Dave Stadt

"john smith" wrote in message
Ben Jackson wrote:
Can anyone recommend insurance companies or brokers that will work
with low time pilots interested in insuring hi-perf/complex airplanes?
I've talked to AOPA and Avemco, and coverage is available, so now I'm
just comparison shopping.

Keep in mind that there are only a handful of brokers. So asking
different agents will only go so far. When a broker gets a request from
a quote from one agent, it goes in the computer. The later agents are
going to go to the same brokers, so you will get the same quotes.
That's how the system has been explained to me.

Actually there are hundreds of brokers but only several underwriters. Big
difference.

Old July 16th 03, 05:29 AM
JerryK

You might check with the owners group for the plane you are looking at.
Many of them have a "deal" with insurance brokers. Sometimes these can save
you a few bucks.

jerry

Old July 16th 03, 06:16 AM
Richard Kaplan

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message

I've talked to AOPA and Avemco, and coverage is available, so now I'm
just comparison shopping.

Avemco is the only underwriter which deals directly with owners.

All the other underwriters (only about 6) deal with the brokers, not with
the owners.

Ask your broker which underwriters he shopped for you. Then call other
brokers and ask if they are aware of any other underwriters who might insure
you.

A new broker will not be able to get a quote from an underwriter contacted
by your prior broker unless you sign a form changing your broker of record.
But that would be futile until next year --- once an underwriter gives a
quote, other brokrs will just get the same quote even if you change your
broker of record.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old July 16th 03, 12:53 PM
john smith

Dave Stadt wrote:

"john smith" wrote in message
Ben Jackson wrote:
Can anyone recommend insurance companies or brokers that will work
with low time pilots interested in insuring hi-perf/complex airplanes?
I've talked to AOPA and Avemco, and coverage is available, so now I'm
just comparison shopping.

Keep in mind that there are only a handful of brokers. So asking
different agents will only go so far. When a broker gets a request from
a quote from one agent, it goes in the computer. The later agents are
going to go to the same brokers, so you will get the same quotes.
That's how the system has been explained to me.

Actually there are hundreds of brokers but only several underwriters. Big
difference.

Thank you, that's the correct term. Substitute underwriter where I wrote
broker..