Cheap ANR headset suggestions?

Old July 15th 03, 04:48 PM

Default Cheap ANR headset suggestions?

Hey all. I've been looking to upgrade my headset to an ANR and
figured I'd ask for advice. Let me give you a few tidbits that I've found
so far as a background:

- My intercom is a DC Isocom (Mono, single squelch, simple, adequate
quality, doesn't mix/match well brands of headsets)
- Tried a DRE-6000, and can best describe it as complete crap. The
passive performance isn't very good with the weakly clamped (read: not too
uncomfortable) earpieces. The ANR helps slightly with the low-freq engine
noise, but boosts the audio frequencies to an uncomfortable level. Also,
the mic is much more sensitive than the rest of the headsets, and lets
through a lot of background noise.
- Tried Lightspeed 15/20/25 K/XL. Much better than DRE-6k, but
still amplfies voice too much, and doesn't attenuate high-frequency
cockpit rattle of 500Hz-2kHz or so (present in my plane). I find it
difficult to get a volume that makes controllers clear, but not too loud
otherwise
- Currently using FlightLine HS-60B passive purchased about 1.5
years ago. Fairly comfortable, good passive attenuation, great radio and
mic sound quality and low noise, but the mic isn't very sensitive. Have
to shout to break the squelch, especially when the DRE-6k is in the mix.

Questions:
- Are the Lightspeed XC solid with descent passive and mild active?
Seem like a good choice, but look a bit flimsily constructed.
- Anyone know about the FlightLine Sky Hawk? I've been pleased with
my passives, but don't know much about these new actives.
- Can mic volumes typically be adjusted on headsets?

Thanks in advance,
-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old July 15th 03, 04:50 PM
Ron Natalie

wrote in message ...
Hey all. I've been looking to upgrade my headset to an ANR and

- Can mic volumes typically be adjusted on headsets?

Yes. Almost all of them use an electret microphone with an integral amplifier.
There's frequently a small trimmer somewhere to tweak the gain.

Old July 16th 03, 09:39 AM
Thomas Borchert

The QFR XC2 sounds like something you might want to try. However, as
Jim said, something might be odd about your intercom or your headset
mix.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 16th 03, 01:43 PM

Part of it is most likely that my plane is *very* noisy with the
interior removed. It really requires good passives to attenuate the
rattle. I also think that the specific mix of the headset I like to use
(passive FlightLine) and the 6K is a really bad combination. The intercom
is good quality and I've got no issues with it, but it is a single squelch
design. I have tried the 6K's by themselves, but the rattle coming
through was more than I could take, regardless of the intercom's setting.

I think it's mostly a combination of the pilot/plane/headset
extreme that's an issue. Unfortunately, I just looked to adjust the gain
on them, and neither have an adjustment. I think if I could turn up the
FlightLine's, and down the 6K's, things might be better. Oh well, you get
what you pay for, I guess.

It seems like another one to look at would be the FlightLine's
"Sky Hawk" model. It looks very similar to the XC2, but also appears to
have the FlightLine HS-60B (my current passive) mic setup. Maybe that'd
keep things more compatible. Any thoughts?

-Cory

: Hmmm. Makes me wonder how much performance difference might be found mixing
: different headsets and ICSs. I have a set of DRE6000's and they work very
: well. I've had several other pilots fly with me, try the 6K's in comparison
: to what they normally use, and they all have indicated the 6K to be a solid
: performer. As they each fly either their own planes or are instructors I
: don't think they were just being nice to ensure they get to fly with me more
: :-)

: I have used two different ICS's over the last two years, both from
: Sigtronics. I wonder if that might have something to do with the difference
: between your experience and mine?

: Personally, I think people should use whatever they are most comfortable
: with, so I'm not advocating the 6K's, just curious about the extreme
: difference in your test.

: JimC

: ...
:
[...]
: --
: ************************************************** ***********************

Old July 16th 03, 04:00 PM
Thomas Borchert

Any thoughts?

How about a new intercom? The old one could go on eBay.
--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 17th 03, 03:09 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
wrote:
Part of it is most likely that my plane is *very* noisy with the
interior removed. It really requires good passives to attenuate the
rattle.

Try the Lightspeed Crosscountry ANR. It's based on their Solo
headset which is a very good passive headset to begin with. It's
their "low end" ANR, but I've listened to the same noise with the
20XL and Crosscountry and the characteristics are different but
neither is clearly better. The XC attenuates more high frequency
noise passively, and the 20XL attenuates more low frequency noise
actively.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Old July 17th 03, 04:07 PM
Dewey M. Sasser

writes:

My environment:

sometimes Stock '74 Skyhawk intercom
sometimes PS-Eng portable plugged in to above
once stock '79 Warrior II intercom

- Tried a DRE-6000, and can best describe it as complete crap.

Had similar experience. My DRE-6000s were good on active, sucked on
passive and the mic sucked at all times. I returned 'em.

- Are the Lightspeed XC solid with descent passive and mild active?
Seem like a good choice, but look a bit flimsily constructed.

This is what I've been using for the past 50 hours or so (including a
few 6+ hour days in the airplane). Very nice.

Quieter and more comfortable than the DCs normally in the airplane.
Not flimsily constructed (but you can't use 'em to drive in your tie
down spikes as you can with the DCs). Reversible boom if you care.
Very impressive battery life. Fairly light weight.

The ANR is not extreme but makes a noticeable difference in the low
frequency. Couple that with very nice passive attenuation and I find
the results very nice. Unlike other ANRs I've tried (e.g. DCs) it
does not have a high frequency whine.

It may not be the absolute best out there but I'm pretty sure it's
the best price/performance point.

- Can mic volumes typically be adjusted on headsets?

Mic adjustment screw on the boom (I've had to use it to cut down
levels for the Skyhawk intercom -- the PS-Eng portable has always been
just fine with it on whatever setting).

--
Dewey M. Sasser

Old July 17th 03, 10:32 PM
Ron Natalie

wrote in message ...

What do people know about the Telex PC-4 or NAT AA80-001? They
seem to do more or less what I need. A more intelligent squelch setup,
and music in to boot.

We had a couple of planes in our club that had NAT AA80 intercoms (they
were a favorite of our avionics shop). I had no problem with them. Nice
solid well-performing units. The only reason I have a PS Engineering over
the NAT is that crew isolate was important to me.

Old July 18th 03, 05:27 AM

The lowest cost ANR that I have found is the Headsets inc ANR mod kit
for existing headsets. Easy to install and works well. I have two.

NONE of the ANR headsets have active high freq attenuation. The high
freq attenuation is all passive. However the most noise is low freq
and comes from the low freq exhaust and prop wash.
If your intercom does not have separate mic bias resistors it will NOT
work well with different brands of headsets. Easy to find out this.
Get two mic plugs and with power off measure with an ohmmeter between
the two mic connections, (not the PTT). If it reads less than 100
ohms then you do NOT have separate mic bias resistors.

All noise canceling mics must be within 1/4 inch of your mouth to work
well or it will think your voice is noise and cancel it also.

john