Aleutian Island airports?

Old June 10th 05, 02:13 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "S Narayan" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
Actually Adak is at +176.6460306 and Casco Cove is at -173. But even if
Adak was at -176 and Casco Cove was at -173 in my coordinate system (W is
positive), Casco would still be further west than Adak.

However, no matter how you slice it, if you're at Adak and you want to get
to Casco Cove, you go west. Look at a globe.

By international convention -ve longitudes apply to west of Greenwich and
+ve longitudes east of Greenwich. OK, let's forget that for the time being.

I use a different convention.

Taking your example of Adak at -176 and Casco Cove is -173 ---- you consider

No, Adak is at +176 and Casco Cove is at -173.

Casco WEST of Adak. Using this convention let's take a simple example and

It is. Look at a map.

San Francisco, CA is at -122.4 and Reno, NV is -119.8. Using above

No, San Francisco is at +122.4 and Reno is at +119.

Adak really being at +176 indicates it is further West of Casco Cove which
is at -173. Moving Adak to -176 puts it 8 deg east of the original location
(but now across the date line) but still west of Casco Cove.

Wrong, wrong, wrongity wrong. Look at a map.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"We must do something. This is something. Therefore we must do this."
Old June 10th 05, 03:37 AM
Matt Barrow

news:1118356040.8dd8c102a9d462d88dbda370d5d84856@t eranews...

said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
mysql select * from waypoint where type = 'AIRPORT' and state =

'AK'
and
longitude -150 order by longitude;

Adak is at long -176.6460306, is open to the public and has a very
nice,
modern airport.
http://www.alaska.net/~vwadak/airport.html

-173 is further west than -176.

How did you arrive at that conclusion? Assuming -180 (W) = +180 (E) =
International date line.

Actually Adak is at +176.6460306 and Casco Cove is at -173. But even if
Adak was at -176 and Casco Cove was at -173 in my coordinate system (W

is
positive), Casco would still be further west than Adak.

However, no matter how you slice it, if you're at Adak and you want to

get
to Casco Cove, you go west. Look at a globe.

By international convention -ve longitudes apply to west of Greenwich and
+ve longitudes east of Greenwich. OK, let's forget that for the time

being.

Taking your example of Adak at -176 and Casco Cove is -173 ---- you

consider
Casco WEST of Adak. Using this convention let's take a simple example and
not get confused with the date line.
San Francisco, CA is at -122.4 and Reno, NV is -119.8. Using above
convention, would you say Reno is west of San Francisco? How about if we
designate SF at 122.4 and Reno at 119.8 (in your +ve coordinate system).

go to Reno would you go West? A drink in the Pacific ocean is what I see
happening.

Adak really being at +176 indicates it is further West of Casco Cove which
is at -173. Moving Adak to -176 puts it 8 deg east of the original

location
(but now across the date line) but still west of Casco Cove.

Adak is EAST of the IDL, Casco is WEST of it.

My point was that Adak is a civil airport and that was the question; the
civil airport furthest WEST.

Old June 10th 05, 04:11 AM
Scott Skylane

S Narayan wrote:

/snip/
Adak really being at +176 indicates it is further West of Casco Cove which
is at -173. Moving Adak to -176 puts it 8 deg east of the original location
(but now across the date line) but still west of Casco Cove.

Tell me you are not a pilot. Please.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old June 10th 05, 09:53 AM
Dave S

Here is a map

http://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/fuelroute/1/ADK-ATU

Click on the airports to see which is which. BUT, heading from Adak to
Casco, you go EAST.. which means ADAK is west.

Good job, Paul
Dave

Old June 10th 05, 11:27 AM
Cub Driver

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:37:45 -0400, "John Gaquin"
wrote:

I've only been as far west as Dutch, but I think I recall some talk of a
field on Adak. It was all 30 years ago. Remember also, what is defined as
an airport in the Aleutians may be pretty rudimentary.

There's a military field on Adak, and likewise on Shemya. No civilian
fields.

The AOPA handbook shows a civilian airport on Unalaska, but that's far
along the chain.

Rudimentary is fine. A beach would do, if there's a gas station
nearby.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old June 10th 05, 11:32 AM
Cub Driver

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:10:51 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

A very nice one. http://www.alaska.net/~vwadak/airport.html

Wow! 7800 ft. That ought to suffice for an L-4

Now if we could only open up something on Attu or Shemya ....

Old June 10th 05, 11:49 AM
Cub Driver

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 01:13:23 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

Wrong, wrong, wrongity wrong. Look at a map.

Where can I find a map?

Never mind! I just did.
http://www.commerce.state.ak.us/dca/...ype=Ov erview

Yes: Casco Bay is on Attu, and Attu is farther west. Indeed, I don't
think there's anything farther west where Russian is not the language
of choice.

Many thanks to you or whoever brought Casco Bay into the discussion.

"The Casco Cove Airport is a 5,800' paved runway, maintained by the
Coast Guard. The airstrip is authorized for public use only in an
emergency; all others must obtain permission from the U.S. Coast Guard
17th District, located in Juneau at 907-392-3315."

Old June 10th 05, 11:58 AM
Cub Driver

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 07:51:56 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

Sidewinder up the wazoo! :~(

I question that. Note that the Cessna got within 3 miles of the White
House without being shot down.

Old June 10th 05, 12:09 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

There's a military field on Adak, and likewise on Shemya. No civilian
fields.

Adak NAS was closed a few years ago, the field is now Adak Airport.