hi-speed ejections

Old January 30th 04, 12:58 PM
tscottme

mah wrote in message
snip

Great to see a young person asking quesitons.

MAH

It's also great the kid has a dad that doesn't make something up or take
him to see Iron Eagle part 24 for an answer.

--

Scott
--------

Old January 30th 04, 05:18 PM
Ken Duffey

mah wrote:

Hi Bill & son

It can be done.

Aircraft such as the B-58 used a seat that had a clamshell capsule that
enclosed the occupant. The soviet (now Russian) K-36 seat uses booms in
front to make a calm area.

The K-36 seat has telescoping booms that extend REARWARDS - to stabilise the
seat - in much the same way as the small drogue chute on western designs.

It has a projection that extends upwards between the pilots knees and a
device behind his knees that rises so that his legs are nearer his torso.

Think of the wake on a boat. There is a
relatively calm area behind.

Having the occupant survive without injury is another story. Others
responders have already discussed this.

Shameless plug - visit my web site at
http://showcase.netins.net/web/herke...ion/eject.html

Great to see a young person asking quesitons.

MAH

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast

Old January 30th 04, 05:42 PM
Darrell

See how they got around mach 2 ejections on the B-58 Hustler. Check my home
page below and use the link to the "More Aircraft Pictures Annex" there or
use this link to go directly to the annex. You will see some data on the
individual capsules we used for ejection.
http://members.cox.net/dumwid/
--

B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
-

"Bill McClain" wrote in message
om...
My son was asking me about ejecting from jet aircraft. He's 8, and
he's convinced that no matter how fast an airplane is going, it's
possible to eject. I said I didn't think that the guy who was flying
the MiG-25 at Mach 3+ was able to eject from his aircraft with the
runaway engines (if that's what was happening), and that the SR-71
isn't really something you can safely eject from at max speed and
altitude. Any knowledgeable remarks I can pass along to him?

Old January 30th 04, 07:30 PM
Krztalizer

It's also great the kid has a dad that doesn't make something up or take
him to see Iron Eagle part 24 for an answer.

Its out in theaters???
Old January 30th 04, 08:18 PM
WaltBJ

It's not the Mach number but the air blast, measured by indicated
airpeed in the cockpit, that hurts you. It's also known as 'Q' force,
or ram air pressure. FWIW the SR71 Q limit is low enough so serious
injury is unlikely. OTH that's also why a lot of fighter e-seats have
straps to restrain one's legs and prevent flailing. As far as I know
all seats will fire on command; the ejectee takes what conditions
exist when he wants out. FWIW I personally know a man who ejected from
an F104A (lost all hydraulics at 35000 and 1.5) going almost straight
down at 1.3 M at 25,000. The Lockheed C2 seat with its leg and arm
restraints prevented him from receiving serious injury! OTH a lot of
F4 and F105 pilots were seriously injured at high IAS (550+) ejections
prior to the seats being fitted with leg restraints. Now I guess it's
only the crews' arms that get flailed . .i.e. bent back beyond
physiological limits by the high-speed air blast.
Walt BJ
Old January 30th 04, 10:38 PM
Bill McClain

snippage

Hi all,

My Joshua was saying, "See, I told you people can eject from
Blackbirds!" Hey, who knew?

Am I right about that Foxbat? It was going Mach 3+ because of runaway
engines? What happened to aircraft and pilot? I'd imagine the
engines would flame out and the pilot would punch out; I'd hate to
think that the Foxbat would just blow up or something.

Lowest and slowest ejections are kind of interesting, too. I bet the
Navy probably holds some interesting records there, mostly at sea.
)
Old January 30th 04, 11:27 PM
BUFDRVR

White, was killed during his ejection
- or drowned after parachuting into a heavy sea at night.

Killed in the ejection.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old January 30th 04, 11:31 PM
BUFDRVR

The K-36 seat has telescoping booms that extend REARWARDS - to stabilise the
seat - in much the same way as the small drogue chute on western designs.

I though it also had a wind blast deflector the popped up *in front* of the
seat?

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old January 31st 04, 02:49 AM
Tony

"WaltBJ" wrote in message
om...
It's not the Mach number but the air blast, measured by indicated
airpeed in the cockpit, that hurts you. It's also known as 'Q' force,
or ram air pressure. FWIW the SR71 Q limit is low enough so serious
injury is unlikely.

That's what the SR-71 pilot said. Because of the low pressure
at altitude, it is equivalent to approx. 246 knots at sea level.
So they eject without a capsule - but with a pressure suit
inflated to 4.5 psi. That is the same pressure as in the
cockpit, so it is limp until they eject.

He passed on another interesting tidbit. They warmed
their lunch by holding it against the windshield,
which was about 300 degrees F at speed.