Best all time fly boy pictures

Old February 21st 04, 11:53 PM
Dale Alexander

Default Best all time fly boy pictures

Hi all,

I'm trying to put together some kind of plan to increase our EAA chapter
membership. To that end, I would like to pick everyone's brains for their
favorite big screen movie that involves airplanes, either main to the plot
or of any background significance. Examples would be like "Flying Tigers"
with John Wayne or "Indiana Jones and the Search for the Holy Grail".

Thanks in advance,

Dale Alexander
"Birds of Paradise" EAA 735
Paradise, Ca.

Old February 22nd 04, 06:29 AM
Richard Lamb

Dale Alexander wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to put together some kind of plan to increase our EAA chapter
membership. To that end, I would like to pick everyone's brains for their
favorite big screen movie that involves airplanes, either main to the plot
or of any background significance. Examples would be like "Flying Tigers"
with John Wayne or "Indiana Jones and the Search for the Holy Grail".

Thanks in advance,

Dale Alexander
"Birds of Paradise" EAA 735
Paradise, Ca.

The Great Waldo Pepper! (Filmed right here at home!)

The Spirit of St. Louis?

The Rocketeer, kinda lame story, but great flying and
the female lead ain't half bad either!

But for wider audience appeal, the recent Pearl Harbor
might be a good one.

More a love story than a war story, but some good flying.
Old February 22nd 04, 06:53 AM
Richard Riley

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:53:31 GMT, "Dale Alexander"
wrote:

:Hi all,
:

See http://tinyurl.com/394mm
Old February 22nd 04, 01:19 PM
Stealth Pilot

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 06:29:35 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

Dale Alexander wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to put together some kind of plan to increase our EAA chapter
membership. To that end, I would like to pick everyone's brains for their
favorite big screen movie that involves airplanes, either main to the plot
or of any background significance. Examples would be like "Flying Tigers"
with John Wayne or "Indiana Jones and the Search for the Holy Grail".

the english patient. (stearman and tiger moth)

out of africa. (magic gypsy moth flight across the african landscape)

Old February 22nd 04, 01:27 PM
Yosimite Sam

I always liked "Flight of the Phoenix" Experimental at its best!!

--
Yosimite Sam

Old February 22nd 04, 04:37 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:27:31 GMT, "Yosimite Sam" wrote:

I always liked "Flight of the Phoenix" Experimental at its best!!

According to the new AIR CLASSIC magazine, they're remaking this film. The
mag details the flight of a C-119 to Africa for the filming. IIRC, it says
they're making a flying "Phoenix" in California.

Ron Wanttaja
Old February 22nd 04, 04:51 PM
Yosimite Sam

Thanks for pointing that out....I see it's set to release in Nov. of
2004!!!!

--
Yosimite Sam

Old February 22nd 04, 05:26 PM
Ron Wanttaja

Got to admit two of my guilty pleasures are "633 Squadron" and "Battle of
Britain"...both good movies featuring planes that are very rare, nowadays.
I've got a copy of a 1960's book titled, "The Making of the Battle of
Britain," and getting those air fleets together was a fascinating process.
Having the CAF pilots work directly with the Spanish was a good idea
because they spoke the language, what they DIDN'T think of is that the
Texans spoke it was a rather strong Mexican accent...

This is always a rich topic. I could mention "Twelve O'Clock High" as my
all-time favorite (I also have 78 episodes of the TV series on tape). "The
Blue Max" is another fun one. One of my regrets is that a lot of the
flying films from the silent era aren't readily available; they not only
often had the original-type planes to fly, they had so many of them that
they used a lot of crash sequences as well.

"Wings" is one of the exceptions, and is a lot of fun, especially
considering it's pre-Hayes Board (the rather prudish censorship imposed in
the early '30s). Also, watch the rudder of the SPAD when it flips on its
back; the director wanted to keep the camera rolling as the dust settled,
and they arranged to have the pilot kick the rudder to show he was OK and
could wait for a while for a recovery team.

Of perhaps more immediate interest is non-flying films that include scenes
or subplots of interest to the pilot. "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" is
a classic example, with Paul Mantz flying the twin Beech through the
billboard. "The World According to Garp" has a Champ fly into the second
story of a house. The more-recent "Secondhand Lions" has a minor plotline
relative to the restoration of a decrepit Stearman (and its demise should
strike a grin among any pilot watching). And Richard would throttle me if
I didn't mention "Fandango" with its outrageous skydiving sequence.

As a final kicker along these lines, let me suggest pushing the envelope a
bit: "Kiki's Delivery Service." Yes, it's a Japanese cartoon about a
young broom-flying witch. But one of her friends is a young boy obsessed
with flight, trying to build his own airplane and wangle his way onto a
visiting Zeppelin for a ride. And the main theme is the effect of the
witch's *loss* of her ability to fly...something most of us can sympathize
with. If your wife/girlfriend is complaining about the blood-and-guts
movies you typically rent, here's a chance to pick up a few brownie points.
It's not that accurate, aviation-wise, but how often do you get to see
scenes of a witch flying chase for a homebuilt plane?

Joe-Ron says check it out....

Ron Wanttaja
Old February 22nd 04, 05:58 PM
Del Rawlins

"Always" starring Richard Dreyfuss, some chick, and a bunch of fire
bombers.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old February 22nd 04, 07:20 PM
Richard Isakson

One of the most memorable bits of aviation film that I've every seen was
only 30 seconds long. It was a black and white movie theater commercial
about a World War II scrap drive. I think I saw it on PBS. A group of Boy
Scouts are seen rolling assorted scrap into a scap pile. They leave and the
most beautiful biplane I've ever seen lands next to the pile. At that point
I started talking to the TV. "No, don't do that." The Boy Scouts returned
and started pushing this most beautiful biplane towards the pile. "NO, no,
no, no, Don't Do That!" They pushed it all the way upside down onto the
pile to my scream of "Noooo ...".

Well, my scream was about fifty years too late to save that plane and I've
never figured out what make and model it was but it's amazing how much
passion a bit of film can raise.

Rich