Best all time fly boy pictures

Old February 23rd 04, 03:57 AM
Andy Asberry

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:53:31 GMT, "Dale Alexander"
wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to put together some kind of plan to increase our EAA chapter
membership. To that end, I would like to pick everyone's brains for their
favorite big screen movie that involves airplanes, either main to the plot
or of any background significance. Examples would be like "Flying Tigers"
with John Wayne or "Indiana Jones and the Search for the Holy Grail".

Thanks in advance,

Dale Alexander
"Birds of Paradise" EAA 735
Paradise, Ca.

Skyward...Bette Davis and Clu Gallagher
Old February 23rd 04, 06:12 AM
Richard Riley

On 23 Feb 2004 00:02:27 GMT, (JDupre5762) wrote:

:Cloud Dancer (Aerobatics)
:
:Remember when this came out. Couldn't wait to see it but it never came near my
:theater. Years later saw it at Oshkosh. What a disappointment! It really
:sucked. With Jennifer O'Neil and Timothy Bottoms no wonder. David Carradine
:was the best thing in it besides the flying but of course they had to throw in
:an armed Mustang flying top cover for drug runners etc.
:
:My theory is this. They need to make an aviation oriented film that could just
:as easily be about truck drivers or tug boat captains or railroads. In other
:words I think people get carried away with the visual effect of the aircraft
:and forget the plot and narrative. A surprising number of aviation films
:really stink when considered just as films.

Well, to be fair, a surprising number fo films really stink when
considered just as films...

I once watched about 150 aviation films, I was at Paramount and the
execs were thinking they wanted to do another flying film since Top
Gun had been a hit. I finally decided that the films about pilots -
like Top Gun, Firebirds, etc - were just what you describe. They were
all about the pilot's relationships with his father, girlfriend, best
buddy, etc. The ones about engineers - No Highways, Winds of Kitty
Hawk, Flight of the Phoenix (and, surprisingly, Spirit of St. Louis)
are actually about flying.

Old February 23rd 04, 12:02 PM
acepilot

I'm with Richard...THE GREAT WALDO PEPPER! I love the story line (yes,
there seems to be a plot AND a lot of flying). My second favorite is
1955's, "Strategic Air Command" with Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson (not
sure how to spell her last name!). Great flying shots of the B-36 and
B-47, all in full color. Tells the story of how SAC got started...

Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Building RV-4
Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Richard Lamb wrote:
Dale Alexander wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to put together some kind of plan to increase our EAA chapter
membership. To that end, I would like to pick everyone's brains for their
favorite big screen movie that involves airplanes, either main to the plot
or of any background significance. Examples would be like "Flying Tigers"
with John Wayne or "Indiana Jones and the Search for the Holy Grail".

Thanks in advance,

Dale Alexander
"Birds of Paradise" EAA 735
Paradise, Ca.

The Great Waldo Pepper! (Filmed right here at home!)

The Spirit of St. Louis?

The Rocketeer, kinda lame story, but great flying and
the female lead ain't half bad either!

But for wider audience appeal, the recent Pearl Harbor
might be a good one.

More a love story than a war story, but some good flying.

Old February 23rd 04, 12:16 PM
nauga

Richard Riley wrote...

The ones about engineers...are actually about flying.

I don't remember any flying in "Revenge of the Nerds"

Dave 'Booger' Hyde

Old February 23rd 04, 04:01 PM
Richard Riley

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:16:18 GMT, "nauga" wrote:

:Richard Riley wrote...
:
: The ones about engineers...are actually about flying.
:
:I don't remember any flying in "Revenge of the Nerds"
:
ave 'Booger' Hyde

Point taken, though there was the advanced aerodynamic, flex body
javelin (specially designed to take advantage of Lamar's limp-wristed
throwing style)

And the whole climax of "Real Genius" centered around flying, lasers
and popcorn. Just like at IDeAS.

Richard 'Poindexter' Riley
Old February 24th 04, 12:18 AM
plasticguy

How about

The Sunship Game
Airshow
Piece of Cake

And thatmovie about the Radio Station guy in a Hughes 500
chasing the Bank robbers in the Alouette 2.

Scott.

Old February 24th 04, 02:13 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:18:20 -0600, "plasticguy"
wrote:

And thatmovie about the Radio Station guy in a Hughes 500
chasing the Bank robbers in the Alouette 2.

"Birds of Prey" with David Janssen.

Ron Wanttaja

Old February 24th 04, 05:33 AM
Richard Lamb

wrote:

And thatmovie about the Radio Station guy in a Hughes 500
chasing the Bank robbers in the Alouette 2.

"Birds of Prey" with David Janssen.

Ron Wanttaja

There was a Cliff Robertson film about an alcoholic airline pilot
that I saw once.

Great story AND great flying.

Somebody remember it for me?

ichar
Old February 24th 04, 06:31 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 05:33:46 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

There was a Cliff Robertson film about an alcoholic airline pilot
that I saw once.

Great story AND great flying.

Somebody remember it for me?

"The Pilot"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079719/

IIRC, the studio's behavior after the release of this film triggered
Robertson's fight against the financial shenanigans the studios were using
to shaft actors. Richard Riley probably has a better summary of that than
I do....

BTW, the IMDB listing for "Birds of Prey," the David Janssen helicopter
movie, can be found at:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069787/

It's funny to see how MANY movies have had the title "Birds of Prey."
Eleven, between 1917 and 2002.

Ron Wanttaja

Old February 24th 04, 06:34 AM
Richard Riley

wrote:

:There was a Cliff Robertson film about an alcoholic airline pilot
:that I saw once.
:
:Great story AND great flying.
:
:Somebody remember it for me?

"The Pilot" 1979. On video it's called "Danger in the Skies."
Robertson directed, co-wrote, and flew the DC-8 in some scenes.