BD-5 crash in Australia

Old May 23rd 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Barnyard BOb

Default BD-5 crash in Australia

Richard Riley wrote:

On Tue, 22 May 2007 14:23:09 +0800, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

...so now when you guys endlessly flame yawn for not flying his bd5
consider the reality and risks that he faces.

I think the reason yawn is flamed isn't that he won't fly his BD5.
Rather, it's that he continues to flog the BD5 as wonderful, easy to
fly, totally evolved, beyond all it's early problems and better than
competitors like the Vari Eze or KR1.

And THEN he won't fly his own.

My prayers for your friend.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

To reinforce the above fact that
Yawn is his own worst enemy...

He also belittled the Vans RV-3 as being less safe than the BD-5.

I don't recall the particulars, but Yawn stated in this ng that
the Van's RV-3 was a death trap, I was quite stupid and
would shortly be very dead for flying one.

That was probably 7 years and 700 RV-3 hours ago.

IMO, Yawn is nothing more than a megalomaniacal
loud mouth confrontational coward. All hat and
no cattle.....

Barnyard Cropduster BOb - 53 years of powered flight

Old May 23rd 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On 22 May 2007 09:41:35 -0700, wright1902glider
wrote:

Stealth,

Do you know if this was a compressive spine injury?

I must show peter these posts one day. he refuses news interviews and
would probably be embarrassed by me making comment.

I dont think the full medical investigation has been done but the
answer is probably.
his seat was the standard BD5 seat I think, with an inch of temperfoam
or similar under his bum. the BD5 is a pretty small aircraft and would
be worse than a wittman w8 tailwind for sink rates on the back side of
the performance curve. the engine hiccup occurred below best glide
speed and I think he was caught by high sink rates with stuff all time
to react.
in this respect the BD5 is no different than the Robinson R22 where
there is a period after liftoff and before best climb speed where an
interruption in power means that you are in for a bruising.

btw I was a thousand Kilometers away in Newman when this occurred and
I've only seen the dramatic newspaper shots.
like you guys I'm not morbidly fascinated by his misfortune but by the
engineering and aerodynamic considerations of designing a small very
fast aircraft.

I discussed the seating considerations with the other BD5 pilot last
night (there are 2 bd5's on our airfield, the only two flying in
australia) the sheer small size of the fuselage restricts the ability
to pad the seating any more than what they've done. having the wheels
up didnt help any either.

designwise it is interesting that having the engine behind the pilot
seems not to have been a factor in the success or failure during the
prang of the aircraft. it is conjectural what contribution the extra
weight of the turbo honda engine would have made to the sink rates.
induced drag would be the bugger here I think.

oh so much for the idea that having the wing below you improves
survivability rates. it makes no difference in some situations.

maybe the hotdog method of achieving liftoff then maintaing low level
horizontal flight and accelerating like hell before climb out is a
better way of flying them.
interesting.
Stealth Pilot

Old May 23rd 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Montblack

("Stealth Pilot" wrote)
I'm proud of the efforts of my fellow pilots. they took some gutsy
actions at considerable personal risk.
....and I often doubted that they ever had it in them.

Stealth Pilot
member of the Sport Aircraft Builders Club of Western Australia.

....and proud you should be!

Montblack

Old May 23rd 07, 11:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Stealth Pilot" wrote

maybe the hotdog method of achieving liftoff then maintaing low level
horizontal flight and accelerating like hell before climb out is a
better way of flying them.
interesting.

You may have finally made a positive point for hot-dogging. Anyone think of
a down side?
--
Jim in NC

Old May 23rd 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Barnyard BOb says...

[...]

I can imagine if this incident happened in my design. Jaun would be all over me
blaming me for what happened.Funny there's never a peep out of him when a BD is
involved.

Unfortunately sometimes bad things happen in this game of experimental flying
and a lot of times it's just bad luck.Sounds like that's the case here in the
BD-5 incident.From what I read he was on the ground with the engine running for
a longer time then normal and possibly the internal cowling temps got higher
then usual causing the possible vapor lock. That can be remedied now that the
problem is identified.

The bad luck is that the engine ran just long enough to put the pilot into a
very bad spot.Good luck would have the engine quit during T/O with room to stop
or better yet on the run up.No blame here just bad luck.

My best wishes to the pilot and I pray for his complete recovery.The fact that
he's recovering feeling in his feet is a very good sign.Good luck to all.

Chuck S

Old May 23rd 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On 23 May 2007 05:16:08 -0700, ChuckSlusarczyk
wrote:

Unfortunately sometimes bad things happen in this game of experimental flying
and a lot of times it's just bad luck.Sounds like that's the case here in the
BD-5 incident.From what I read he was on the ground with the engine running for
a longer time then normal and possibly the internal cowling temps got higher
then usual causing the possible vapor lock. That can be remedied now that the
problem is identified.

The bad luck is that the engine ran just long enough to put the pilot into a
very bad spot.Good luck would have the engine quit during T/O with room to stop
or better yet on the run up.No blame here just bad luck.

My best wishes to the pilot and I pray for his complete recovery.The fact that
he's recovering feeling in his feet is a very good sign.Good luck to all.

Chuck S

pretty much in line with what peter thinks.
he is amazed that pilots in america are praying for him. he, like me
is atheist :-)

someone in the club has organised a firesale this weekend of the stuff
in his hangar. actually we arent sure who thought to organise it but
they'll be losing their nuts if he ever finds out.
the thought that someone would make off with the new BD5 that he is
working on simply horrified him.

he is well on the mend and looking forward to getting on with it.
now if the feeling would return to the legs he'll be really chipper.

stealth pilot
Old May 23rd 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Stealth Pilot says...
The bad luck is that the engine ran just long enough to put the pilot into a
very bad spot.Good luck would have the engine quit during T/O with room to stop
or better yet on the run up.No blame here just bad luck.

My best wishes to the pilot and I pray for his complete recovery.The fact that
he's recovering feeling in his feet is a very good sign.Good luck to all.

Chuck S

pretty much in line with what peter thinks.
he is amazed that pilots in america are praying for him. he, like me
is atheist :-)

Think of prayer like chicken soup when you have a cold.It might not help but
maybe it won't hurt either :-)As atheists you may not think praying has any
validity but just consider it our way of offering someone our very best wishes
for good luck and in this case a speedy recovery.

someone in the club has organised a firesale this weekend of the stuff
in his hangar. actually we arent sure who thought to organise it but
they'll be losing their nuts if he ever finds out.
the thought that someone would make off with the new BD5 that he is
working on simply horrified him.

A "firesale" seems that's the last thing someone would do LOL!!

he is well on the mend and looking forward to getting on with it.
now if the feeling would return to the legs he'll be really chipper.

Well we'll continue to extend to Peter our very best wishes for a good recovery
so he can get on with the rebuild or the new project.

Chuck S

Old May 23rd 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"ChuckSlusarczyk" wrote

Think of prayer like chicken soup when you have a cold.It might not help
but
maybe it won't hurt either :-)As atheists you may not think praying has
any
validity but just consider it our way of offering someone our very best
wishes
for good luck and in this case a speedy recovery.

More than that, I think.

I have seen things happen that either are the most improbable collections of
coincidence, or put another way, a miracle of sorts. An atheist looks at it
as the improbable happening, and others look at it as a touch of The
Almighty.

A religious person prays for a person to recover well, and believes that his
God can make it happen. Who is to say that it will not?

In Christianity, the believers are told to love their enemy, (not that the
atheist is an enemy) and pray for non believers. That is what they are
doing.

So, in short, I hope that some combination of happenings combine to
contribute to a fast and full recovery. How I make that wish is a personal
thing, and no less meaningful, no matter who it is for, and no matter how
that hope is expressed.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 23rd 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave[_15_]

"Morgans" wrote in message

In Christianity, the believers are told to love their enemy, (not that the
atheist is an enemy) and pray for non believers. That is what they are
doing.

Funny, I've noticed over the years that for the most part the more a person
or group calls on God, the more they love their enemy dead.

Old May 23rd 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Wed, 23 May 2007 19:09:31 -0300, "Dave"
wrote:

"Morgans" wrote in message

In Christianity, the believers are told to love their enemy, (not that the
atheist is an enemy) and pray for non believers. That is what they are
doing.

Funny, I've noticed over the years that for the most part the more a person
or group calls on God, the more they love their enemy dead.

You've just met the wrong people.