Where can I train in a PW-6? Seminole Lake's is down for maintenancefor a couple of months

Old September 1st 17, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Default Where can I train in a PW-6? Seminole Lake's is down formaintenance for a couple of months

On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 3:56:36 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi, all.

I have a PW-5 that I bought but have never flown. Since the PW-6 is the 2-place trainer for the PW-5, I was hoping to train in a PW-6 for and hour or so before attempting the PW-5.

I just spoke with Seminole Lake Gliderport (here in Florida) who said that their PW-6 is down for maintenance for a couple of months.

Unfortunately SSA's search engine(as far as I know) doesn't have a search filter to find out which gliderports have a PW-6 available for training.

Does anyone know if there is one in (or near) Florida? or how can I find out where are all the PW-6's available for training in the US?

Ben

Cypress Soaring in Southern California, although they are not using it for primary training. (They also have a PW5)
http://www.cypresssoaring.org/
Old September 1st 17, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

The PW-5 is easy to fly. It was my first single seater after requalifying
in an L-23.

I was advised to trim a bit forward before launch so that any correction
would
be stick back. Works just fine.

Like the K-21 and G-103 the noise from the front will prompt you to gently
raise
the nose wheel at the proper time.

Check canopy eject handle has not been actuated. I was happily flying
around
for three hours up to 90 kt thinking the PW-5 was noisy. Raising the canopy

after landing, the whole thing came off and I had to put it on the ground.

As an owner you need to understand the canopy eject mechanism and how to
reinstall the canopy.

As before mentioned the PW-5 is very light on the controls. I suspect the
PW-6
will not be quite as nimble.

Old September 1st 17, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Johnny Joyner

On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 5:56:36 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi, all.

I have a PW-5 that I bought but have never flown. Since the PW-6 is the 2-place trainer for the PW-5, I was hoping to train in a PW-6 for and hour or so before attempting the PW-5.

I just spoke with Seminole Lake Gliderport (here in Florida) who said that their PW-6 is down for maintenance for a couple of months.

Unfortunately SSA's search engine(as far as I know) doesn't have a search filter to find out which gliderports have a PW-6 available for training.

Does anyone know if there is one in (or near) Florida? or how can I find out where are all the PW-6's available for training in the US?

Ben

PW-5 is VERY easy to fly even for a very low time pilot. It is easier to turn while taxiing on the main wheel. the nose wheel tends to make it want to go in a straight line. When landing, The nose wheel makes for a nice short roll out. The tail being off the ground makes it a very safe off field lander. If you can fly a 1-26 you can fly a PW-5
Old September 1st 17, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

My total time in PW-5 is 466 hrs, flown between 1995 and 2001. When I first bought it, I was a pretty low time pilot, well below 100 hours. I expected and asked our club's CFIs to fly it for me and share their remarks. They looked at me and said: It's your glider, you fly it first. I did. No problem whatsoever, rather an amazement how nice, light and easy it was. And that feeling continued throughout my ownership of it. The two instructors flew after me to have this model in their logbooks. Hmmm... OK, they trusted that I could handle it.

On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 9:06:58 AM UTC-5, MNLou wrote:
The PW-5 is one of the easiest flying and safest gliders out there.

It flies much easier and lighter than the ASK-21 or any other sailplane I've flown. I flew my PW-5 on my 7th solo flight during flight training with no issues (and loved it!)

I did not find take off to be an issue. The tow rope will lift the nose wheel off the runway slightly and off you go. I agree with Martin - don't be too anxious to start flying. The ship will do that for you at the correct speed.

The controls are really light and, after a while, you just think of rolling into a thermal and the glider just does it for you.

The only caution would be landing. If you land with more than 1/2 airbrakes, the ground might come up and meet you a little too fast.

Enjoy your new PeeWee!

Lou

Old September 1st 17, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

BTW, what an irony that the PW-5 is getting so many nice reviews NOW, after over 20 years. In the late 1990's the returning refrain on r.a.s. was: "Does the PW-5 still suck?" Some of us remember it...
Old September 1st 17, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for all the great tips, everyone!

I may end up going to Chilhowee, since I have relatives I can stay with in Atlanta. However I don't see their new PW-6 on their website yet, so I'll call and see if/when it's available.

I also purchased the Bob Wander book "Transition to Single Seat Gliders", which I will read before attempting the PW-5.

"Baby step into the elevator-r-r-r-r!" - Bill Murray in "What About Bob" :-)
Old September 1st 17, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 6:56:36 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi, all.

I have a PW-5 that I bought but have never flown. Since the PW-6 is the 2-place trainer for the PW-5, I was hoping to train in a PW-6 for and hour or so before attempting the PW-5.

I just spoke with Seminole Lake Gliderport (here in Florida) who said that their PW-6 is down for maintenance for a couple of months.

Unfortunately SSA's search engine(as far as I know) doesn't have a search filter to find out which gliderports have a PW-6 available for training.

Does anyone know if there is one in (or near) Florida? or how can I find out where are all the PW-6's available for training in the US?

Ben

Why not just pack it up and head down to Vero Beach his weekend and fly with the Members here at Treasure Coast Soaring Club. We can give you all the help that you need and we are having a great cookout as well. My old friend, Scott Bingham, from The Thermal Research days will be joining us and I will even pay for your first tow. We will also be having a cookout complete with our thermal dogs, a gourmet hot dog with mustard and onions. Hope to see you there. Bob
Old September 2nd 17, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 3:02:41 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

The PW5 flies nothing like the PW6... not even close.
Being checked out in the PW6 would not qualify you flying the PW5 .
Neither is too difficult but WAY DIFFERENT....
Old September 2nd 17, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

Our PW-6 has a new canopy on order after a renter didn't completely lock the rear canopy. It will be up soon as it comes in. Shouldn't take long.

Rich Owen
Old September 2nd 17, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

BTW, what an irony that the PW-5 is getting so many nice reviews NOW, after
over 20 years. In the late 1990's the returning refrain on r.a.s. was:
"Does the PW-5 still suck?" Some of us remember it...

Heh (he chuckles, while contributing to thread drift)...temporary - if
years'-long-lasting - insanity? Short-sighted, too, when considered from the
group health aspect of the sport. Waiting with bated breath to see how much of
it's still around...

:-)
Bob W.

---