Passed IRF Retest

Old May 11th 04, 01:07 PM
Jon Kraus

Default Passed IRF Retest

A few weeks ago I posted about busting my IFR checkride. Well yesterday
I finally got it finished up. Here is a recap of what transpired in both
checkrides. First I'll reiterate that not only was I this DE's first
IFR student, we also had the FAA examiner with us giving him a "checkride".

The oral portion portion lasted almost 3 hours and I was pretty wiped
after that. We discussed everything under the sun:
Lots on weather and how to obtain all the info needed. I didn't realize
that DUAT and FSS are the only "official" places to get this info.
Lost COMM procedures
Emergency procedures
DP's and STARS
Terminal Procedures for all types of approaches
Aircraft systems - COMM, VOR, audio panel, autopilot, GPS, pitot static,
electrical, vacuum
Systems maintenence - VOR checks, Pitot static, ELT, Altimiter checks, ect.
Many scenarios on how to fly different approaches
Alternate airports - when to file, weather at alternate ect.
Fuel minimums
aero medical issues - hypoxia, medications ect.
much more that has slipped my mind.

We broke for lunch and when we came back the weather was bad so we
rescheduled for the next day.

As planned we started the flight portion. This included:
Accepting a clearance to an already discussed airport.
Took off and entered controlled airspace at an assigned heading.
Intercepted and airway and was cleared to hold at an intercection. This
is the point where I screwed up. I got ouside of protected airspace and
failed that portion. I decided to continue with the reset of the test.
This consisted of steep turns to the left and right. Unusual attitude
recorvery was next. This was very interesting because the DE he had me
get into the unusual attiutude. He did this by having me close my eyes
adn put my chin against my chest. He then had me maintain straight and
level flight. Then a turn to the left. Then back to the right. Then back
to the left again. OK open your eyes. I have managed to get the aircraft
into a diving spiral to the left. The airspeed indicator was nearing
the end of the yellow and I've never seen the Vertical Speed buried
down. I recovered OK but I must say I was a little bit shaken up. The
DE commented that "well maybe I did let it go a little far but I wanted
to demonstrate what could happen to you if you were alone in IMC and you
bent down to get you pencil or otherwise was not paying atention".
After that we did times compass turnes. Then we flew a partial panel
VOR-A approach to missed. Then the guages were uncovered and we flew a
GPS approach back to the home airport. Then we circled around and called
up Approach to get "real" vectors to the the ILS at the home airport and
finish it up with a circle to land to "home".

I knew that I busted the holding pattern so I was bummed about that.
Yesterday I finally got back on the DE's schedule and we went and did a
couple of holds and came back. Done. Finally !!! I hope to fly every
week to stay current. Thanks for all of your support. This NG is a very
valuable tool.

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA

Old May 11th 04, 02:52 PM
David Megginson

Jon Kraus wrote:

I knew that I busted the holding pattern so I was bummed about that.
Yesterday I finally got back on the DE's schedule and we went and did a
couple of holds and came back. Done. Finally !!! I hope to fly every
week to stay current. Thanks for all of your support. This NG is a very
valuable tool.

Congrats!

Did you have a chance to get much experience in actual IMC during your
training? If so, go for it! If not, you might want to ease into actual
before trying anything too low in actual IMC. Maybe start with 2,000 ft
ceilings so that you can easily drop into VFR if you need to, and then work
your way down gradually over a few weeks, assuming that the weather cooperates.

After that, you'll be one of those nuts who scrambles out of bed before
breakfast and races down to the airport so that you can get in a couple of
low approaches before the morning fog burns off. Enjoy.

All the best,

David
Old May 11th 04, 04:37 PM
Cecil Chapman

Congratulations, Jon!!! I found myself wondering about how your retest
went, didn't expect that you would have anything but good news to report.
Glad to hear my 'suspicions' were correct!!!
Finally, ya can get a little time in to look out the windscreen again!

I go in for my procedure Monday the 17th (looks like they'll keep me
overnight to make sure 'nuthin' falls off' GRIN), so I'm bringing all my
study materials as well as my approach plates and enroute chart so that I
don't waste any time (my wife is smiling and rolling her eyes about my
bringing stuff to study - but I figure I have to keep my mind 'in the game',
for when I resume my training, after this minor 'adventure' is over).

I sure will be glad when my Instrument checkride is behind me. Congrats,
once again, on a job well-done!!!

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old May 11th 04, 05:21 PM

Jon Kraus wrote:

A few weeks ago I posted about busting my IFR checkride. Well yesterday
I finally got it finished up. Here is a recap of what transpired in both
checkrides. First I'll reiterate that not only was I this DE's first
IFR student, we also had the FAA examiner with us giving him a "checkride".

I think you mean FAA inspector, not examiner.

In any case, congratulations!

Old May 11th 04, 10:40 PM
Bill Gamelson

666
666
666
666
666

Get going!

Old May 12th 04, 12:15 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 5/11/04 8:07 AM, in article , "Jon
Kraus" wrote:

I knew that I busted the holding pattern so I was bummed about that.
Yesterday I finally got back on the DE's schedule and we went and did a
couple of holds and came back. Done. Finally !!! I hope to fly every
week to stay current. Thanks for all of your support. This NG is a very
valuable tool.

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA

Congratulations Jon! Fly safe now, y'heah?
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic

Old May 12th 04, 12:35 AM
A Lieberman

Jon Kraus wrote:

couple of holds and came back. Done. Finally !!! I hope to fly every
week to stay current. Thanks for all of your support. This NG is a very
valuable tool.

May the G-d of clouds be with you :-))

Congrats on your passing!

Allen